• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just getting back into sledding. Best Edge mods for Newb?

C
Oct 1, 2009
Spo Valley
Some may have seen my other thread regarding getting back into sledding after a 8-9 year break. My budget and my brand preference says "Edge Chassis". Others have said I should aim for a 144"+ track and 700+ engine. This is the area I'm shopping in but want to know what to do after I find the perfect sled. Three things I'm thinking of for sure...

-BetterBoards. If I recall nothing else from riding before, it's that snow build-up in the footwells SUCKS!

-Bar riser. I had a POO sit-down jetski and my quads would ache like hell after trying to ride while squatting for a while. Hunched over too far if I tried to extend my legs. I'm 6'1", how much rise should I look for?

-Cover. Big truck with big tires throws lots of crap onto the trailer. Who has the best combo of quality/fit/price?

I've pretty much blown my sled budget trying to stay in the Edge chassis so major $$$ upgrades are out of the question. Heck, I don't even have riding gear yet!

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
looks like you have it covered, I'm 6' and I have a 3" riser on mine but that is only what I could get to work with the stock cables. I could use another inch but I'm too cheap to buy the cables and brake line, it is close enough and I had an M8 I bought. Now I sold the M8 because money is tight so the edge is now longer a backup. The only thing I wish I had back was the Boss seat I sold when I got my M8. Get some good ski's as well. It is a matter preference but I like my Powder pros. Have fun!

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I still ride an 03 700 151. Love it still.

If you find 800s that have had the crank/bearing rework done by a reputable Poo motor builder (Indy Dan, Carls, SLP etc.) than seriously consider an 800.

Most of the used Edge RMKs you'll find for sale will probably already have boards and a riser, maybe even an aftermarket pipe and can. Covers? My $55 generic from WalMart lasted 5 years.

If you want a real mountain sled in a versatile track length stick with a 700/800 RMK in 144 or 151

Have fun getting back into it!! (oh, and since you've been away for a while don't forget to pick up some BATPiSs... Beacon...Avy Training...Probe...Shovel )

Last edited:
C
Oct 1, 2009
Spo Valley
The best thing you can do is just get out and ride that sucker! :D
I gotta get one first! Hoping you are "helping" with that today.:D

BTW: I'm having problems with my phone so I can't respond here once I head off to work. Any problems/questions just give me a call and I'll call back as soon as I can. I owe you one!:beer; Maybe 2!:beer;:beer;

C
Oct 1, 2009
Spo Valley
*%$#@*!!! That's two I've missed now. Not your fault RMKcowboy. I appreciate the offer to put eyes on it for me. Have to wait to hear if the other 700 is still available and keep looking. Thanks guys.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
You shouldn't have too much problem with snow buildup on the boards as the edge has running board coolers that keep it melted off.

Riser, I got 5" on mine and I am 5'4" Most guys your size go with 6-8"

At 5" I had to extend my brake line and wires but not the throttle, any more and the throttle would need extended.

SLP single pipes rock these sleds. Probably out of your budget but it should be your first motor mod if you do any.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
edge mods

good luck finding one there are alot out there so i'm sure you will find one
the best mod i've done have been
raise the bars
better boards or snow elimenators
taller seat (bosses are sweet but big $$ you can have a apolstery shop make your taller )
good clutch setup (makes a world of difference)
slp single

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
The running board coolers on the Edge are nice, but they still pile up with snow. I would do some Better Boards or Snow Eliminators if you can swing it. I'd like to get a set for mine.

D
Oct 22, 2008
Longview WA
Are you going to the snow show Oct 17-18? Might find a sled there?
I have and 800 151" w/ slp pipe and 4" riser. I love it! Just got a set of better boards. Been a couple decent looking 800's on Portland Craigs List $3500-4000

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
A riser will insure that you break your wrists when you hit something like a rock or tree. Better to have hands low when sit down riding and allow wrists to pass over the top of the handles.

Gravel on trailer is caused by inadequate length mudflaps. Get longer ones.

Floor boards are part of the cooling system and not a problem. You will want to add a 1/2" x 1/2" x 8" aluminum angle stiffener to keep the floor board from buckling and tearing when you hit a rock. The tunnels can only take about 3 rock impacts per side and then they are toast. Then you get to just throw them away. Aluminum cannot be easily welded without losing 90% of it's strength.

The best mod you can add is my SLP single ceramic pipe that I have for sale for $175 plus shipping. It adds 11 hp and takes off 6 lbs. It turns it into an 800, essentially, but lighter. The sled will fly with this pipe and it requires no tuning or clutch adjustments.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
A riser will insure that you break your wrists when you hit something like a rock or tree. Better to have hands low when sit down riding and allow wrists to pass over the top of the handles.

Floor boards are part of the cooling system and not a problem. You will want to add a 1/2" x 1/2" x 8" aluminum angle stiffener to keep the floor board from buckling and tearing when you hit a rock. The tunnels can only take about 3 rock impacts per side and then they are toast. Then you get to just throw them away. Aluminum cannot be easily welded without losing 90% of it's strength.

The best mod you can add is my SLP single ceramic pipe that I have for sale for $175 plus shipping. It adds 11 hp and takes off 6 lbs. It turns it into an 800, essentially, but lighter. The sled will fly with this pipe and it requires no tuning or clutch adjustments.
Who rides sitting down? :D

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet

Wow, a bit of misinformation there. Don't know where to start so I won't.

C
Oct 1, 2009
Spo Valley

If I hit something sitting down my arms will go over the bars but my face/chest will hit. Standing up I might go out over the sled and hit whatever the sled hit. 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. At least standing up I might be able to see a rock in time to avoid it.

I have good flaps and a salt guard on the trailer. The spray on wet roads will boil around behind the truck and collect on/in the sled. That's why I want the cover.

The best mod you can add is my SLP single ceramic pipe that I have for sale for $175 plus shipping. QUOTE]

That sounds like a super good deal. Wish I could afford.

M

MPS

good luck finding one there are alot out there so i'm sure you will find one
the best mod i've done have been
raise the bars
better boards or snow elimenators
taller seat (bosses are sweet but big $$ you can have a apolstery shop make your taller )
good clutch setup (makes a world of difference)
slp single

I agree with most of this except the seat and the slp single....the seat would be the last mod IMO....who sleds sitting down unless you are getting to the place you ride. ...and for not much more coin you can get the slp twins. The single gives you a little extra horse....not like the 10-12 the twins do. I have had both the single and twins on mine. The twins pull hard!

The very first thing I would do is change gears and clutch. I have the SLP mtn helix kit in my clutch and I would gear it 19 - 42....i think that gearing is right. If I am wrong guys....correct me. I have also ported mine....that ran me about 400 bucks, but well worth it....after that the sled virtually pulls my arms with combined with the twins.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
For those who boast that they never ride sitting down, then why don't you just take the seat off of your sled and save 10 lbs then. Fact is, you won't take it off because you are lieing through your teeth. Or I should say tooth, because you are missing one from t-boning that last tree, when you flew over the handlebars from the standing position. So how do you take those fast corners and/or sidehilling on hardpack? Kneeling or sitting down of course. Risers help twist those handlebars into preztels and/or snap them off, when not if, you roll it. Try riding a sled out with snapped off handle bars, and of course, do it standing up.

Cover on a sled to keep gravel, snow and ice off? Geez, someone ought to patent that idea. Or not! Of course you have a cover and undercover on your sled when you have it tied to an open trailer. That goes without saying. But if you have no gravel guard on the front of that open trailer, then using longer mud flaps helps big time.

The SLP single is rated at 10 hp and saving 6 lbs. The twin pipes are rated around 16 hp except you have to add a silencer for $610.

M

MPS

For those who boast that they never ride sitting down, then why don't you just take the seat off of your sled and save 10 lbs then. Fact is, you won't take it off because you are lieing through your teeth. Or I should say tooth, because you are missing one from t-boning that last tree, when you flew over the handlebars from the standing position. So how do you take those fast corners and/or sidehilling on hardpack? Kneeling or sitting down of course. Risers help twist those handlebars into preztels and/or snap them off, when not if, you roll it. Try riding a sled out with snapped off handle bars, and of course, do it standing up.

Cover on a sled to keep gravel, snow and ice off? Geez, someone ought to patent that idea. Or not! Of course you have a cover and undercover on your sled when you have it tied to an open trailer. That goes without saying. But if you have no gravel guard on the front of that open trailer, then using longer mud flaps helps big time.

The SLP single is rated at 10 hp and saving 6 lbs. The twin pipes are rated around 16 hp except you have to add a silencer for $610.

I'm not here to argue about sledding...take a chill pill. If you want to argue come on over to the politics section. I never said I didn't ride sitting down. When I am in the mountains....I am not sitting down all that much...that is a fact. I never sidehill sitting down....just my preference. A seat will not improve the performance of your machine all that much. I am buying a new seat this year because I have done everything else I have wanted to do.

We are both wrong about the HP of the pipes...the single is rated at 13 and the twins are rated 24....like I said I have ran both....I would go with the twins for a little more money. I don't think either of them put out the horsepower claimed, but the twins are much more noticeable IMO. A silencer for 610? huh? The single set up is 590 and the twin set up with the can is 690....here is the link.

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=19&productID=191

Last edited:
R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA

Holy crap... couldn't sleep and having a bad moment?
I have all my teeth in my head still, and I can honestly say I do 80% of my riding standing up. Yes, even on the trail. I only sit when I'm really tired after a long day of getting stuck. Sidehilling on hardpack while sitting down? :eek: I'm ALWAYS standing when I'm climbing or sidehilling, can't imagine trying to pull a sidehill sitting down. Fast corners on the trail = shift weight to the inside running board and rail it.
I'm 6'2" and if I didn't have a riser on my sled I'd look like the hunchback of Notre Dame when riding. Not to mention, it would be uncomfortable as hell.
And I don't take the seat off my sled because I have a shovel stored in the seat pouch :D

Premium Features