• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 800 Engine in a 2016 Axys 800 RMK

nibrandon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2015
Roberts, MT
Anyone see any problems with this swap? Picked up a used 2018 800 to replace the engine in my 2016 which blew up a few weeks ago. I swapped over stator, flywheel, exhaust valves, and injectors to the new engine. From what I read, the only differences between the motors is the new head and better oiling, but the same otherwise, so should be a good replacement. I started it up, and it idles fine, but when it's revved up, just prior to engagement, it makes a pretty awful racket. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet to do the exhaust valve relearn but I can't see how that would make excessive noise. I looked for something obvious that I might have left loose, but it sure sounds internal, particularly loud on the exhaust side. Any ideas? We're there any other changes I didn't consider such as timing/stator key location? Thanks for the help.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
the ecu has different fuel delivery between each year so either a re flash or you would also need the ecu from an 18 also

nibrandon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2015
Roberts, MT
I would think fuel delivery would be more of a "runability" item to make it fuel more smoothly, but not be a critical item. So while 2018 fueling might be a better map than 2016, the 2016 fueling should still work, correct?

P
Dec 7, 2014
michigan
if u r sure new motor had no issues, id be pulling the valves out and see if they r hitting the pistons before id run it again, if all looks ok , may be a relearn deal

Premium Features