• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone else underwhelmed by the SHOT???

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho

Thanks for the link!

Not what I expected obviously.

The polaris was the lightest sled on the hill, with cat just one pound heavier, and the Doo was way heavy, but it was an 800, I imagine the 850 picks up a similar amount of weight though, but the tunnel of that 800 was probably more covered with snow than I have ever seen the tunnel of my 800 or my 850 covered with snow...

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I realize this is slightly off topic...but has anybody investigated what it would take to retrofit a SHOT system onto a '17 model?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
So I’m a HUGE long term fan of e start. With a lightweight battery in a ski Doo it’s 12-13lbs and totally worth it to me for a lot of reasons. I THOT that SHOT was going to be a World Series final game bases loaded home run grand slam. Basically e start with no weight penalty.
So my buddy’s crapped out on him. It was acting up, he got the updates, a couple rides later it died. He wants to replace it with an e start if he trades in(not the main reason for trade in). He’s done.
Mine works but not well. It’s always slow to respond. It’s seconds, not minutes but it’s so slow I think that’s it’s not going to work at all so I let the button go then push it again. Sometimes over and over before it starts. If it doesn’t fire up in a second or two it seems to me I have to release the button then push it again and wait. Also The button is small so it doesn’t get hit accidentally but it’s so small it kind of gets absorbed into the tip of my gloves finger. Not a deal breaker really but it’s just kinda janky. It never is just press the button and the sled fires up like an e start. Yes I get that it advances the rotor until it’s in the right spot before it gives it a SHOT. All in all I’m not sure if I’d get a regular e start if I bought another Ski Doo.
Not worth $600 to me. Tried one, glad I didn't pay. How many times you start your sled in a year? 600? Go riding with me, pay me $1 per start, I will pull a cord. Get your buds to come, I will do just fine.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Not worth $600 to me. Tried one, glad I didn't pay. How many times you start your sled in a year? 600? Go riding with me, pay me $1 per start, I will pull a cord. Get your buds to come, I will do just fine.

What if I keep my sled for 3 years? It'll be down to $.33 per start, you still want to pull the rope for thirty three cents?

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
There was a thread about this mid winter, it takes about $3,000.

So its a $600 upgrade from Doo, but cost's $3k to retrofit? Seems a little out of whack to me...

Maybe they did that intentionally so it drives you to buy a new sled instead.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
So its a $600 upgrade from Doo, but cost's $3k to retrofit? Seems a little out of whack to me...

Maybe they did that intentionally so it drives you to buy a new sled instead.

...or maybe you don't really understand how it works. ;)

Seriously, its one of those things that requires different parts to work. Straight up. ECU, wiring harness, stator, etc. If you know how ordering works, and how companies build sleds you can understand whats what.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
I so hate those deep powder days also, all that snow build up on my sled is so not worth it!

Dynamike

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2010
I have an older friend (mid 70) that said he would buy electric start just so he didn’t have to pull it first thing and if he waited over 30 minutes on a break. Got me thinking…We have a battery in our trailer, could it be used to Charge up the Shot Start for that first start, then maybe a light battery for the same thing mid day?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I have an older friend (mid 70) that said he would buy electric start just so he didn’t have to pull it first thing and if he waited over 30 minutes on a break. Got me thinking…We have a battery in our trailer, could it be used to Charge up the Shot Start for that first start, then maybe a light battery for the same thing mid day?

1) Who is snowmobiling by themselves? Have a friend to start the dang thing.

2) It stays charger for well over an hour usually, I've found even past 3.

Honestly, if this stuff is too hard I cringe to think what happens when you get stuck.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLYXyOL3hxM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iLYXyOL3hxM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Off on tangent - but:

I read the report in one of the magazines a cpl weeks ago on this. 100# gain seems awfully hard for me to believe. I know that Bill was replacing his footboards with plastic so that the snow wouldn't stick to them. But any newer sled will have grated footboards now anyhow. Kan't be THAT much build-up there anymore... (?)

One big thing is if you run through open water. Get water up in the rear suspension and it will get REAL heavy 'till it thaws back out. Not if you are on trail or broken trail I guess, but if you are running point and splash through the water, and it doesn't have a chance to git back out before you get back into deep snow - it will turn to one big block of ice. We had to spend an hr one day chipping ice out of my sled after running point early season. Once I stopped - there was no re-starting again until it was chipped out. My chum was the only other one with me, and since he was running 2nd, he didn't have that trouble.

So - I kind'a wonder if the guy who said that his sled gained 100# - I'm wonderin' if he found a crick during his ride and the others didn't?

Also - I found it quite ironic that in the vid that they claim that they have reduced build-up on the Kitty b/c they have shorter heat exchangers. We have found the exact opposite to be true in our experience.

Posted below are a cpl pics of my chums Edge chassis RMK. Those have a dink little exchanger just above the snow flap as you can see in the first pic. That sled liked to build up loads of ice from the end of the exchanger - all the way up to - at least the mount point / carrier wheels of the rear suspension. I imagine that there was build-up further up the tunnel, but it would have been thin...

You can see in the pics how big'a chunk we pulled out of there one day.

My chum fixed this by fetchin a Doo cooler and retrofitting it in place. His sled ran cooler (the Edge always ran on the edge of red) and never got anything like this build-up again.

It's kind'a hard to see, but he is holding a big chunk of ice in the 2nd pic.

Still tho - water is roughly 8#/gal. To total 12 gal of water clinging on seems a bit hard to come to terms with.... ???
But - if the rear susp is as full as my chums shows here ... may _ be?
Also - this was just cold season bush-whackin'. No cricks that day.

Pol%20ice%201_zpse9d3xc6i.jpg

Pol%20ice%203_zpszux4guhu.jpg

Last edited:
J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
The tunnel on the new Arctic Cats do stay very clean, I've got a couple riding buddies with 2018 Cat's, and I've never seen any buildup on the tunnel behind the seat on their sleds.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Its a good thing this thread has gone from complaining about shot and its lack of performance to how heavy a sled gets when playing in deep snow. I think this thread needs an enema..its full of sh!t.

Premium Features