• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HOW WOULD YOU BULLET PROOF AXYS ENGINE?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
That seems excessive, although if anyone was going to find the weak spot, it'd be you. :face-icon-small-ton Anyway, is the piston pin migration something that only comes up in hard riding? In other words, do you think it takes a lot of WOT to trigger it, or is it something most riders will encounter with enough miles? The sense I'm getting is that things have gotten a lot better, but that the 800 still benefits from some bulletproofing.

Anyway, seems best to just run it stock as long as it's under warranty; being meticulous with running good gas/oil, belt and clutches and such (as mentioned). If it lasts past warranty, then keep going. If you blow it up under warranty, or run into issues down the road, then go with the bulletproofing. Like JJ said, just play the odds, at least for now.

I have heard of a few others. I don’t know how many are out there, but I do believe it’s from high load(low track speed) conditions at WOT.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
Tony i meant turbo'd vs bone stock
are you see pin migration on stock NA sleds ?
just curious

thanks

maybe they went to single ring on the 850(840) so
there's one less pin to keep an eye on
ha ha ha :face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Pins are migrating in.
BRP had the same issue. Pin holes were to deep. I believe the ring is working the pin in as the piston heats and the ring expands.

I have only seen the migration on stock sleds to date.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Tony,

What about testing pin migration ability with a pin punch.... If you pull the stock slugs, and check if this is the case... get different pistons??

Eric, I could give that a try for sure. Warranty is a great thing. I’ll see if there are some used pistons laying around to try it.

The ‘15 piston locating pins do not migrate......I’d use them.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I left Upper MI with mine to head out west this spring for two months. I rode in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, BC and back up to Alaska. During this trip I rode with a lot of different people (some on SW). Luckily mine ran flawlessly with the 860 big bore at all elevations. The only problem we saw on other Axys's were TPS (I had this last year), wiring cutting into the frame and relays (replaced mine also this year). I always stress "fresh" non-ethanal gas and good oil (I run Polaris oil). Anything mechanical can and will fail, like reeds and rings. Yes, ID's cylinder finish is really good. Ive also had great results with BMP's Durability kits on a number of sleds.
I spent a lot of time on the new Axys 850, some other mod sleds and the new Alpha too. The future is bright, 2 strokes are getting better, maybe someday Honda will make motors lol

Last edited:
S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
it's a darn 2 stroke 800. All the high strung 2 strokes are prone to some failures. Best way to bullet proof your engine is to stay off the internet and let engine drink gas n oil. Ride it till your cheeks are sore from the smiles!!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I want to say we have replaced 2 Axys engines at our store since they came out (2016). Both were high use/abuse units, 1 was slightly modded (aftmkt pipe), and both failures were different. Unless you are out of warranty, and getting up in to the mileage that makes you wonder (on any 2 stroke 800)....I would just ride it

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I heard some interesting info today.
The gent I talked to has been checking the sheave angles on a substantial number of AXYS primary’s. He has found sheave angles, from the factory, ranging from 12* to 13.4*. This may certainly explain why there is such a variation in clutching and belt life.
Time to send in our clutches and have them cut to spec.

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here
The gent I talked to has been checking the sheave angles on a substantial number of AXYS primary’s. He has found sheave angles, from the factory, ranging from 12* to 13.4*. This may certainly explain why there is such a variation in clutching and belt life.

I totally agree with that.
Primary’s are mass produced.
Machine n true them up is a mod in itself ?
Indy Dan knows this too

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID

I sent my clutch from my then brand new '16 800 to Cascade Clutch Performance in Oregon to have them true the sheaves, install their Happy Face clutch cover and balance it on their spin balance machine.

prorideupper800

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2013
Upper Pennisula of Michigan
How I Bullitt proofed my 2016 SKS

From day one I installed a 911 Billet clutch cover from Thunder products, (purchased at Hay Days) at the end of this Season my sled turned 8400 miles all from Upper Pennisula trails and back country. I have only had to change plugs on this sled. Always ran Polaris VES Gold oil Gates Carbon belts and have yet to blow a belt on this sled, No signs of Clutch wear on my clutch it still spins 8250 all day long, no tear downs no rebuilds. I contribute this longevity to the 911 cover best investment I've ever made. Last sled was a 2013 Pro 800 155" couldn't make it past 2500 miles with out changing top end blew up at 5000 took out crank and everthing, that clutch had to be rebuilt at 3500 miles. I'm puzzled no one else on here has been talking about using this product, I have a 2019 Pro snow checked and will be investing in another 911 clutch cover right out the gate. My 2-cents .

mtnmodviper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
What is a "service" engine. All brand new or ????

I was told it was a factory assembled "short block". It has this label on it. I'm not sure what the label is all about.

There's also a picture of the piston. I didn't get a good shot of the locating pin. The pin was still there, but maybe it had migrated inward and let the ring spin??? This was a stock 2017 with 750 miles. I always run fresh non-ethanol premium ridden 8000'+ elevation.

Attachments

• Label.jpg
    Label.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Piston.jpg
    Piston.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Cylinder.jpg
    Cylinder.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 79

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
it's a darn 2 stroke 800. All the high strung 2 strokes are prone to some failures. Best way to bullet proof your engine is to stay off the internet and let engine drink gas n oil. Ride it till your cheeks are sore from the smiles!!

Ain't this the truth!!!!!!!

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I was told it was a factory assembled "short block". It has this label on it. I'm not sure what the label is all about.

There's also a picture of the piston. I didn't get a good shot of the locating pin. The pin was still there, but maybe it had migrated inward and let the ring spin??? This was a stock 2017 with 750 miles. I always run fresh non-ethanol premium ridden 8000'+ elevation.

I believe the case and mono-block are serial numbered to the sleds VIN. So the "service engine" serial numbers are now assigned to the sleds VIN....

Premium Features