• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick drive belt

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
I've heard of people doing this but don't understand the reason why. Might as well take the track off too?

The owners manuals I've read, recommend taking belt off clutch. Also loosen track, and rotate it periodically to keep it from taking a memory of wheel curve. Sure couldn't hurt to take off quick drive belt, depending on difficulty.
Or if your summer storage plan is to start and run once a month. Having it up to spin track would be an acceptable option also.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I just try and raise the rear and start up and run with track rolling (a little soapy water sprayed on Hyfax or just garden hose water) and watch the temperature, probably twice during the summer/fall months and I will probably put Sea Foam fuel prep in on the last ride next week and I have had great luck with that procedure over the last 20 or so years.
gtwitch in wyoming

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
We take them off (QD Belt) and put in a cool dark place like the basement...along with the drive belts ( yep the spare also)- loosen the track, and also suspend the front and rear of the sled... doesn't hurt-and something not to have a concern over the summer months..

It gets hot inside a enclosed trailer in the summer even keeping the vents open.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
We take them off (QD Belt) and put in a cool dark place like the basement...along with the drive belts ( yep the spare also)- loosen the track, and also suspend the front and rear of the sled... doesn't hurt-and something not to have a concern over the summer months..

It gets hot inside a enclosed trailer in the summer even keeping the vents open.

Way hotter than 3” from a sled exhaust i’m sure.
Much hotter than breaking trail in 4’ of fresh.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Way hotter than 3” from a sled exhaust i’m sure.
Much hotter than breaking trail in 4’ of fresh.

Its a constant heat-and dry with no air flow.. so yeah the belts go through a lot of conditions- might as well give them a rest and not in a state of tension all hot ( baking oven heat) with zero air flow every now and then.

Maybe they will be nice if we are nice to them...LOL!!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Its a constant heat-and dry with no air flow.. so yeah the belts go through a lot of conditions- might as well give them a rest and not in a state of tension all hot ( baking oven heat) with zero air flow every now and then.

Maybe they will be nice if we are nice to them...LOL!!

Worth a shot. ;)
My sled goes in the shop on a shelf.
And it has a chain.

Premium Features