• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PrayN4snow's Long term stage 3 report

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Just an update on how my build has been working out because my other thread is to long to read through. I know there are other companies out their making Axys mods so please no brand bashing. Chime in if you want on how your mods have worked out. The good, the bad and the ugly.

I have the stage 3 Bikeman performance kit. This include the ceramic coated pipe, full velocity can, billet head, durability kit, stage 3 BullyDog controller tune and BMP Goldstar adjustable weights and clutch kit.

At first it took a little to get the clutching dialed in but Ive done some experimenting which is easy to do. I ride in Upper MI about 600-900 ft elevation and out west from 8-12,000 ft.
I check my plugs occasionally and they have been spot on with this tune. My compression is a couple pounds away from when I first checked it and I have not had any problems with anything related to this build. I have had a couple TPS issues but did the recommended settings from a respected fellow Snowest'er and runs great. Ive ran Polaris VES and Mystik oil and have not had a problem with power valves.
The ceramic coating is holding up really well considering Ive rolled the sled so many times lol.
How is everyone else's Axys mods been holding up?
Im hoping well (no matter the brand), competition is good for us consumers.
Pics show some miles with scratches, melted plastic from lack of talent lol.

IMG_7463.jpg IMG_7464.jpg

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Hows the battery? I got the same one right away when i got my 16 axys. Seemed like it worked better last year. Need to have a pretty healthy trail ride and decent temps to be able to use my e start anymore. I did let it go dead a couple times so maybe that screwed it up.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
I've been eyeballing that front bumper... How do you like it? Did you run it with the OEM pipe? Curious on fitment...

OEM non-showcheck front bumper is "for show" vs being of any use IMO, extremely easy to dent. Unfortunate first hand experience.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
How's the power?

The power is awesome, I ride with different groups and everyone that has rode has been impressed. Its deceivingly fast as far as the delivery. The key I think is the torque curve flattens out up top some so it pulls hard through the entire shift out. Its snappy off idle, and I do have a stock Axys to compare thats snappy also, but the stage 3 can pull the front up over logs easier. Its not a turbo, and anyone that compares theirs to the top end of a turbo is not telling the truth. However, on my last drags with Zach Devooght's on his 15 boondocker Pro I jump ahead some at the start and stay ahead on a @35 degree slope until midway (1st 200' of @300' total distance) then he would pull past me. He is running 10lbs of boost. We switch sleds, and I weigh 40lbs more than he does and its surprisingly the same results.
Austin has a 15 Pro with a Silber turbo, we ran the same day back to back with the last race and there close to the same results. I will say, the Bikeman pipe loves to be ran hard, when its hot it keeps pulling. That same day All of them said the same thing including Craig who wrecked his sled (bent rails) and had to borrow an M8 Cat with an SLP pipe and can that wasn't even close to as fast as the Axys. This was a good course to test the clutching as well. It was bumpy and you would come off the ground at times so I felt mine was shifting and back shifting just like I wanted. We did to many of these and Austin's sled blew a quick drive belt while Criag was racing it. (Sorry Bud).
The true test for me however is no longer up hill drag races. I used to race hill climb, now its all in the trees.
Thats where I like the predictable power, its snappy, but doesn't hit like a huge burst of boost. I love boost, but boost takes more getting used to to keep from trenching. Its not loud, and gets me out of as much trouble as it gets me into lol.
Edit: I thought I should add that this was at Wolf Creek Colorado two weeks ago so that tells you it runs well at elevation as well. Next week when I go out west I will be switching to the high elevation head domes. I only run pump gas 91 non ethanol.

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Hows the battery? I got the same one right away when i got my 16 axys. Seemed like it worked better last year. Need to have a pretty healthy trail ride and decent temps to be able to use my e start anymore. I did let it go dead a couple times so maybe that screwed it up.

My battery has been holding up fine, however I keep my sled in my heated shop when Im not riding for a while and Ive never let it go dead. I did put a trickle charger on it for a couple days in the summer. I do have one on another sled too. I think its to small for my wife's 1100 turbo 4 stroke that thing eats batteries like my kid eats Doritos lol.
Im guessing letting yours die a couple times did it in :(
On a side note the aluminum battery bracket they made dissipates the heat quickly compared to the stock steel bracket. Im hoping thats going to help with the life of the quick drive belt and the battery.

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Did the bikeman weight bushings wear out yet? A few of us tried them and the bushings didnt last.

How old are your weights? They changed the weights sometime last year. They updated with a slight ramp profile change and something else? The last ones were 59-81gram the new ones are 58-80grams (I think?)so they wouldn't get confused.
For years Ive taken compressed air to my clutches often. Im surprised on how much dust flys out. If not cleaned this must be hard on parts. I don't use any lubricants on them thinking the dust might stick to them.
If you've seen some of my old pics, you see Ive tried so many brands of weights it crazy. They are almost done with a completely different weight I here. I don't know anything more than you can adjust it on the sled with screws of some sort. Don't shoot the messenger, your better off calling them for details.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
How old are your weights? They changed the weights sometime last year. They updated with a slight ramp profile change and something else? The last ones were 59-81gram the new ones are 58-80grams (I think?)so they wouldn't get confused.
For years Ive taken compressed air to my clutches often. Im surprised on how much dust flys out. If not cleaned this must be hard on parts. I don't use any lubricants on them thinking the dust might stick to them.
If you've seen some of my old pics, you see Ive tried so many brands of weights it crazy. They are almost done with a completely different weight I here. I don't know anything more than you can adjust it on the sled with screws of some sort. Don't shoot the messenger, your better off calling them for details.

They are the first edition ramps, i clean my clutches often and cause they were magenitic, i removed the weights lots to change the magnets, so they were cleaned often, i bet i never got 400 miles out of the bushings.
Ive been using slp weights for more than 2000 miles using the same mtc habits and thier busings are like new. For me in canada its a pita to get wearable items plus the long time it takes to stuff accross the border, so i tend to use stuff that durable or easly available.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I've been eyeballing that front bumper... How do you like it? Did you run it with the OEM pipe? Curious on fitment...

OEM non-showcheck front bumper is "for show" vs being of any use IMO, extremely easy to dent. Unfortunate first hand experience.

Im loving the BMFabrications front (and rear) bumper. Its held up excellent to everything Ive hit with it so far. I have another post with some pics of it. Yes, its made to fit a stock pipe, they fit the Bikeman and SLP pipe as well.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I've been eyeballing that front bumper... How do you like it? Did you run it with the OEM pipe? Curious on fitment..

Heres a couple more pics to hopefully show how it fits around the pipe. Hope that helps.
1st pic shows how it holds up front plastic.
2nd. fit between belly pan
3rd. fits under pipe well.
4th. Still has room for both belts.
5th. Show the two bolts that give it extra strength through the belly pan.

IMG_7482.jpg IMG_7481.jpg IMG_7484.jpg IMG_7485.jpg IMG_7483.jpg

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
They are the first edition ramps, i clean my clutches often and cause they were magenitic, i removed the weights lots to change the magnets, so they were cleaned often, i bet i never got 400 miles out of the bushings.
Ive been using slp weights for more than 2000 miles using the same mtc habits and thier busings are like new. For me in canada its a pita to get wearable items plus the long time it takes to stuff accross the border, so i tend to use stuff that durable or easly available.

I pulled my weights yesterday to check them again. The bushings on mine are still good. There must be a difference with the 1st and 2nd edition on the bushings as well.? I know what you mean about shipping, I lived in Alaska for 12 years and most of the things I ordered took a lot longer. :face-icon-small-sad

IMG_7477.jpg IMG_7476.jpg

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska

I just returned from riding with Chris Burandt in CO. These bumpers took a beating trying to follow that mad man through the trees. I think the front bumper saved me a few times, the rear bumper was yanked on more than a....well, you fill in the blanks. But I'm not embarrassed to say I was stuck a lot trying to keep up with him and the rear bumper kept the tunnel in line while we pulled it out of places no human should be unless your last name is Burandt. Man that dude can ride!

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Just looked over my sled to see what I need to replace at Haydays. Bumpers from BM Fab are still holding up! I think thats a record for me as the longest lasting bumpers Ive ever had. Yes, they are dented, bent tweeked and touched up, but Ive never had to replace body panels that these didnt protect. Now, If I could just find a good price on a box full of skill I could get to the next level and not rub as many trees ;)

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Well, It's time for me to get ready to ride again. Tough choices...I have someone that is interested in my sled. But I cant really justify selling it to do the same thing all over with this one running so awesome. My other thought it to try the BMP Axys Big bore I already have some of the parts on my sled. I talked with some other guys this year with it and they were really happy with it last winter. I never got to ride one. What to do?....

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I'm in the middle of piecing together my own BMP fuelled monster. Same as yourself, I have a lot of the pieces needed to just do the 860.
Haven't had a chance yet to ride it with anything beyond the pipe by itself, so unsure if the head/can/BD etc will be a very noticeable upgrade, or if a guy should just go ahead and do what I really want to do anyways? :face-icon-small-con

Premium Features