• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Painted Tunnel Protection

Cobalt 200

Premium Member
Aug 31, 2009
I have never owned a painted tunnel and am getting my first. I am getting a all black snow check select SKS. I am a little concerned about excessive scratching to the tunnel. To get to our good spots there is always a lot of trees and branches rubbing on everything. I have never been concerned about this before and if there are no options for protection I will not ride any different. Any one know of any options to protect the tunnel top and sides where the boots would rub. Possibly a clear wrap? Anyone ever tried that?

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
I have never owned a painted tunnel and am getting my first. I am getting a all black snow check select SKS. I am a little concerned about excessive scratching to the tunnel. To get to our good spots there is always a lot of trees and branches rubbing on everything. I have never been concerned about this before and if there are no options for protection I will not ride any different. Any one know of any options to protect the tunnel top and sides where the boots would rub. Possibly a clear wrap? Anyone ever tried that?

3M and some other companies make a clear film that is used on the front of cars, trucks and rv's. I think that it would work good but can be a pain to install. If you ever had to remove it I wouldn't be surprised if it pulled some of the paint!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Two words..........Wrap it

Even a basic tunnel wrap that matches the existing factory decals looks good and is an effective way to reduce ice / snow build up and offers a way to avoid scratches that you are concerned about.

B
Oct 31, 2010
Its pretty resistant, I lost more paint on the side/bottom of the running boards, and on the top of the tunnel where my bag/rack was installed. nothing that can't be fixed with a can of matte black tremclad

Cobalt 200

Premium Member
Aug 31, 2009
Two words..........Wrap it

Even a basic tunnel wrap that matches the existing factory decals looks good and is an effective way to reduce ice / snow build up and offers a way to avoid scratches that you are concerned about.

That is what I was thinking. Thanks all for the input!!

Premium Features