• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is coming from my G4 850 exhaust?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Where does it all go? Its crazy really, I've measured my oil consumption many times, the worst was 19:1 gas oil ratio, and the best was 26:1. How these sleds don't foul plugs all the time with such massive oil consumption is puzzling.
My buddies Polaris' run 19:1 (worn pumps, just runs through).
All my Zukes avg. 28:1.
Never changed plugs.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Remember when the first 600 etec was released and a tank of oil was supposed to last like 500 miles??...and it wasn't far from it on SOME sleds. that was the whole point, to make these clean like a 4 stroke, use less fuel and oil by putting the oil only where and when needed. Somewhere along the line that got blown away and they use more oil every year it seems. Pretty sure BRP hired some VW diesel engineers a few years back to program these to pass emissions standards and then act totally different in real world conditions. My '13 was a miser, I swear it got fuller as the day went on, scary low amount of oil used with the pump programmed all the way up. It never had a problem. :face-icon-small-con

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I bought a 19 this year and my oil consumption is down from my 17. I'm seeing something slightly less than 40:1. I think the smell is the POE oil burning in any amount. Used to work in refrigeration and when any amount of synthetic oil would burn it gave off the acrid smell we are talking about here. Although, oil keeps the engine going around, I'm good with a little oil consumption.

T
Dec 19, 2016
Mapleton Utah
I'm no expert and this is only my opinion but a ratio does no good at this point because the more wide open throttle you use the more oil you consume. So on powder days you have more and longer wot then on a hard packed day. On my 17 154 3" I use a half tank for a tank a fuel this season.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Why does the 850 need so much more oil the the 800?
Cats Ctec 2 800 gets away with 65:1 avg.....

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
I'm no expert and this is only my opinion but a ratio does no good at this point because the more wide open throttle you use the more oil you consume.

Certainly, my 19:1 was ona DEEP day, only 3 miles of trail to get to very deep snow, I had 'er pinned whenever the sled was moving, and the 26:1 was all hardpack.

Cats Ctec 2 800 gets away with 65:1 avg.....

I'm told the crank bearing are sealed bearings so they don't get lubed with 2 stroke oil, and I'm told the crank bearing on the Etec motors are lubed by the 2 stroke oil and that is responsible for the massive increase in oil consumption.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Certainly, my 19:1 was ona DEEP day, only 3 miles of trail to get to very deep snow, I had 'er pinned whenever the sled was moving, and the 26:1 was all hardpack.

I'm told the crank bearing are sealed bearings so they don't get lubed with 2 stroke oil, and I'm told the crank bearing on the Etec motors are lubed by the 2 stroke oil and that is responsible for the massive increase in oil consumption.

Lets not forget that BRP advertised the 850 as more efficient on oil than its predecessor. I've found it to be from one end of the spectrum to the other.. The 800 was stupid good on oil compared to other brands, and now the 850 is a bit of a laughing stock when it comes to oil consumption.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
My 850 is out of break in now and without having measured the consumption exactly I'd say by the amount of smoke it makes has come down a bit now. Still think it uses too much, I don't understand why it would ever need more than 3% which I still think it exceeds.

Worst I have ever had was the first year E-tec 800 in my -11 Freeride, that thing chugged oil like there was no tomorrow, if I got stuck I had to kill the engine immediately or choke to death in the oil cloud.

Premium Features