• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

144 rmk or 155 pro

X
Feb 7, 2017
hey guys im new to this forum, im happy to join a new community of riders.

Right now im in the process of getting a new polaris snowmobile but i am not sure switch one is better suited for my needs either the 600 pro rmk or 600 rmk 144 (2017) I currently live in quebec mostly flatlands with some hills and we get in between 3-5 feet of dry snow every. I ride allot in the forest and narrow trails with fresh snow i also like to play around in sand pits (small hill climbs and side hilling) and i do some lake riding for ice fishing and some trail the max i would do on a trail is 20 mils to town. The thing is i dont know if the rmk with 144 track and 2’’ lugs could handle slow, stop and go in narrow trails with 3-5 of powder and on the pro rmk side i dont know if it could handle the long lake rides and the bit of trails i do.
Thanks for the help in advance!

600HOBandit

Jan 12, 2009
Fremont, WI
I've got the '16 600 Pro 155 and ride between home in WI and WY. My riding around home is thin snow trail riding with kids and with scratchers down I can consistently run less than 135F, while turning the Series 6 2.6 track. I'm not sure you'd be able to keep the 144, which is about 40# heavier, on top of the snow nearly as easily as you will with the 155. I wouldn't give mine up for anything.

X
Feb 7, 2017
i never rode a 800 before can u still crawl threw the trees with such a fast engine and i don’t think a 800 is really needed for what i doo

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
How about SkiDoo?
Etec 600 summit sp 146

If it has to be a 600 Poo
I would go for the Axys 600

Last edited:
X
Feb 7, 2017
I’ve been looking at the summit, the fact that its 16’’ wide would help with flotation. Do the summits have the same cooling problems the pro rmk’s seem to have?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I would get the 144 600, should be a perfect all around sled. No need for an 800 at low elevation, especially when the 600 is typically good for double(or more) miles than the 800. The 144 will do great on short climbs, trails, and powder, you will just have to ride a little smarter in the powder than you would on a 155.

A lot of guys on here will tell you that you need a turbo or that its dumb to buy anything less than an 800, and that after you buy your sled you will need to spend $2000 and 10 hours in the shop to get it right. Don't buy into that crap. The 600 will likely be most practical for your application, and will work perfect in stock form.

Ultimately my advice would be to find a good reputable dealer (no matter the brand), and get a 600 with as much warranty as possible and a paddle track in the 144-146" range.

S
Nov 27, 2013
+1 for the 600 155, that's what I ride in Saskatchewan/a few trips out to the mountains a year. You will love the extra track length and lug height. Just have a set of ice scratcher for the longer trail rides and your set.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I live in Alaska ben riding for years and have hade many different sleds. I went with the 2016 axys assault 800 155 2.6 and have no cooling probs.. on the trail with scratchers down. I ride all conditions trail ,trees, mountains and have no regrets on the buy. planted on the trail and flickable in the pow.. as for the 600 to the 800 well when I need to lift the front of the sled I NEED IT TO LIFT!! I guess I got used to the pull and power of the bigger sleds and find my self in bad spots when I don't have it. I still ride my M 570 cat around home and love it but I do find it lacking power. I'm pos.. the 600 has plenty of ponies to get the job dun its just what you are used to.. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it! in the end I don't know if you can buy a BAD sled in this day and age, if you can test ride them you will know rather quick witch is for you.. that's my 0.02

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
Stick with your gut and get the 600 if you want. It will be fine. They are definitely overlooked but are more than capable. I would go for a 150 range track. The Axys is great, but as others have stated the 600 motors from Cat and Doo are good too. All of them are more reliable than any 800.

X
Feb 7, 2017
I ended up getting a summit so 146 with a 800 e etc dealer gave me a good deal and it felt more familiar to my older sled

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Sorry for another option - consider the 600 Switchback Assault 144. You can get one with a 2", 1.35 cobra, or put a 1.6 cobra on it. You'll get a better trail sled, with lots of off trail capability, that will also only make you a better rider. A rumored 2018 146 SKS might fit that bill, too.

I'm all in for 163/174 RMKs, Summits, etc. for myself, but, they have become much more specialized for sidehills, deep draws, creek hopping, bottomless pow, and many peeps east of the rockies would be better/best served with a wider front, less length and shorter lug. First, these 50/50 sleds like Assaults are so much better on a trail where you'll ride much of the time from your description, and second, they still get around in deep snow incredibly well. Anyone who rides them back to back, and/or owns a mix of them, will tell you the same thing. Try both, and you'll see it for yourself. And I do think you're well served with the 600 - I own both, and it's no slouch, especially at low elevation, where you'll have as much power as everyone here has on a stockish 800 above 8000 feet. Good luck.

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
Sorry for another option - consider the 600 Switchback Assault 144. You can get one with a 2", 1.35 cobra, or put a 1.6 cobra on it. You'll get a better trail sled, with lots of off trail capability, that will also only make you a better rider. A rumored 2018 146 SKS might fit that bill, too.

I'm all in for 163/174 RMKs, Summits, etc. for myself, but, they have become much more specialized for sidehills, deep draws, creek hopping, bottomless pow, and many peeps east of the rockies would be better/best served with a wider front, less length and shorter lug. First, these 50/50 sleds like Assaults are so much better on a trail where you'll ride much of the time from your description, and second, they still get around in deep snow incredibly well. Anyone who rides them back to back, and/or owns a mix of them, will tell you the same thing. Try both, and you'll see it for yourself. And I do think you're well served with the 600 - I own both, and it's no slouch, especially at low elevation, where you'll have as much power as everyone here has on a stockish 800 above 8000 feet. Good luck.

I know the OP already bought a sled but I would echo what is said above. The Switchback Assault and 144" RMK are great flatland deep powder sleds for anyone that is riding a mix of trails and lakes. Most of us have to do that on the East Coast. The Poo 2" track is too soft for the mix that I ride so I opted for the Cobra and it does surprisingly well in the deep, I was going to swap out for a 1.6" but ran out of time. No issues rolling slow through 4' of dry powder, you do however have to think a little bit ahead w/ the short lugs from time to time.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 144 skid used to be a different setup than the 155/163 skids. It was actually heavier. I'm not sure if that has changed. Many people would expect the 144 to be a lightweight very maneuverable setup, but there was actually a good chunk of extra weight.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
A low mileage/hour Dragon 700 (IQ Chassis) I think would be a great sled for you. It has more cooling than new Polaris Chassis (front cooler and larger cooler on tunnel), a 155 inch track with 2.6 lugs, and an engine that will last longer than any Polaris 800. Has plenty of power at your elevation to do everything you want. Being wider than new Poo's, it handles trails a bit better, not as tippy as a Pro or newer Axys. Add a high compression head and a can and this thing comes close to the power of a 800.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Premium Features