• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

12 volt power??

A
Feb 17, 2008
Chugiak, AK
Where is the best place to get 12 volt power to run a LED helmet light? The light is 10 watt has a .75A draw. I want to be able to plug in only when I need to.

I looked in the Velcro bag under the steering post and there are 2 empty plugs- 1 pin and socket plug that says RCA ACC PWR and 1 blade style plug that I was going to use for a tether.

What's the best option? Do I need an inline fuse?

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Where is the best place to get 12 volt power to run a LED helmet light? The light is 10 watt has a .75A draw. I want to be able to plug in only when I need to.

I looked in the Velcro bag under the steering post and there are 2 empty plugs- 1 pin and socket plug that says RCA ACC PWR and 1 blade style plug that I was going to use for a tether.

I've got the wiring diagram for the 2015-2016 600/800 axis RMK. There is a fused (2A) accessory plug (DC SAE) type plug hanging from the hood wiring harness under the gage. Polaris sells two accessories, one goes from DC SAE plug to flat blades(p/n 2411352), and the other is a cigarette plug with flat blade terminals (p/n 4010638). Search for (DC Plug SAE) on the internet and you will get many hits mostly from motorcycle web sites that sell all these dongles. You will find that polaris sells plus 100 other types like SAE to SAE extensions, SAE to usb, SAE to cigarette plug, SAE to round DC plug etc.

The RCA ACC is unfused with a different connector. This comes from the same power source as above. I believe Polaris techs use this for troubleshooting DC power issues with the motor off. It can be used but needs a fuse and p/n for the connector. I believe others know the connector p/n.

Cinno

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN

39747a469067b63f9c08525037fa52d4.jpg

Here is the fused 2A connector that Cinno referred to. I added a USB charging port to my dash using this connector.

a3a2719aae17cad4cf099b7a20f2cdc3.jpg

I believe the touring sleds have a 12v cigarette lighter socket wired to this from the factory.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I did basically the same thing for a phone charger but I just put it in the dash bag to try and protect it from moisture.
Yours looks clean but I would be worried about soaking the thing on wet days.
Plus my phone gets a little heat from the motor which helps the battery life.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
I did basically the same thing for a phone charger but I just put it in the dash bag to try and protect it from moisture.
Yours looks clean but I would be worried about soaking the thing on wet days.
Plus my phone gets a little heat from the motor which helps the battery life.

I did the same thing with a SAE to USB in the heated compartment above the gage. I also bought a neopreme pouch for the cell phone to keep it warmer and keep it from bouncing around. I'm going to put a "toe warmer" heat pack in the pouch if it doesn't stay warm enough.

Important safety note: If the phone drops below a certain temp, attempting to charge it could damage the battery. Samsung has a protection circuit to prevent this, i don't know about the others.

Cinno

Last edited:
R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
Hey guys I know this is a old post but i have a question. I have a 16 axys with the same plug but I have no battery or electric start. I checked the voltage to the plug above and sometimes i get 14v dc and sometimes 5-6 volts dc. I tried to plug in a simple sae to usb and it will not charge my phone? DO i need to go spend 70 bucks on something like this from RSi http://rsiracing.3dcartstores.com/POLARIS-USB-POWER-CABLES-_p_98.html

I understand if i was taking ac and converting it to dc i would need some sort of bridge rectifier but it is all ready dc at the plug. Is something needed to safely charge my phone that is in the rsi 70 dollar package?
Also i understand this is a 2 amp plug? Where is the fuse located?

Thanks for anyone that can help me understand this.

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
If I remember right this is tied to the same relay as the headlamps, meaning it will only kick in when you are off idle.
Mine is still going strong but I did finally add the aux. battery.
That said, my Samsung Note 9 wont charge half the time, I get an error saying there is moisture in the connector even though I know there is not.
This year I bought a battery pack with wireless Qi charging so I am going to figure out a secure way to hold things together and see how it goes.

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
Im seeing RSI's plug and play power connector. Looks like an easy way to go. Any problems with doing it this way? I know over the years I have heard that there can be problems with wiring in new power improperly on a sled.... can anyone advise?

Premium Features