• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diesel vs. Gasoline: COST comparison.

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
My first thought with the two options you listed is the F250 with a TD will hold a extremely better resale down the road. Maybe the eco's will resale good down the road but from what I've seen the diesel resale values are great even with very high mileage.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Reality check.

Probably drive 20K-25 a year

Pull a 8,000lb trailer 12-15 times a year, 3 hrs each time + any special trips.

Otherwise, this truck will be a daily driver frequently getting less than 20 miles a day on her.

Driving an F250 V10 right now.
55-60 MAX going up hill with the trailer, getting 6-7mpg in 4x4 on the highway with the trailer in the snow, 10-11mpg normal driving.

The question for me comes down to this.
A new 2017 F250 TD ($70,000) or a new 2016 F150 EcoBoost Gasser. ($61,700)
U just answered ur own question.
U have to buy diesel if u plan on owning it for 10yrs and driving 20-25k miles per year.
Gas vehicle's can not be financed through a bank if they have more than 150,000 miles, diesels cut off is 250,000 miles.
So, if u buy a gasser u will have to sell it in 6yrs.
Sure a big car lot will take the vehicle in on trade but they won't give u much because they can't sell it on their lot. It will be auctioned off to one of the small buy here pay here lots.

GS6

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
U just answered ur own question.
U have to buy diesel if u plan on owning it for 10yrs and driving 20-25k miles per year.
Gas vehicle's can not be financed through a bank if they have more than 150,000 miles, diesels cut off is 250,000 miles.
So, if u buy a gasser u will have to sell it in 6yrs.
Sure a big car lot will take the vehicle in on trade but they won't give u much because they can't sell it on their lot. It will be auctioned off to one of the small buy here pay here lots.

GS6
OK
That is something I have NEVER heard nor considered before.
I do tend to KEEP MY TRUCKS for years.
11 years on my current, 17 years on my previous.

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Very interesting topic! Thanks for posting. I'm contemplating much of the same however differing brands. We travel 13 hours to ride in the mountains and put approximately 10k a year on our truck. Of that 10k about 7500 are with a trailer in tow. We purchased a larger trailer, 30' enclosed, this year and fully loaded it calculates to approximately 7,000 lb. Well within the means of a gas half ton but....then there is the wind, ice, stopping abruptly and the having to be behind the wheel for 13 hours!

T

TABLEROCK

Nov 27, 2007
In Da Minnesooota
Gas it up! And GO

Im a gas guy myself only because that's all I need to get the job done. I own a 02 Chev treequaterton:face-icon-small-hap. But I do have to say all these truck prices are really getting out of control. 60000 for a half ton is NUTS. The salesman want to finance people out 72 and even 84 months now. That's crazy!! Diesel's no doubt will pull pull pull but unless you are pulling all the time or have something heavy that demands that kind of power your wasting your money. I talked to a Ford dealership mechanic last night over some beers last night. He does at least one $5000 to $6000 repair a week. Dealerships love to fix stuff and finance stuff that's how they make a good majority of there money. I will stick with my old Gasser because last time I checked I made it to the mountains hassle free tuggin a couple new sleds:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
After owning a gas truck and a diesel, I say it depends what is important for you, cost or pulling power. Like others have stated the truck wrapped around the engine is the same, but the diesel torque is something that can't be ignored. I love knowing at anytime I can hook whatever to my truck and it will pull and love it. Plus the engine braking with diesel is amazing feature I find very useful for towing big loads. Very confidence inspiring.

BUT diesel repairs are stupid expensive. I just lost the entire fuel system on my duramax due to a faulty injection pump and the repair cost was around $9K and this was just parts I did the labor! This was a very expensive repair, but I also took the opportunity to upgrade my fuel system to make it more robust but it still hurts. What makes matters worse is I knew that the CP4 is a ticking time bomb but I tried to be a cheap skate... I paid the price for that...

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Reality check.

Otherwise, this truck will be a daily driver frequently getting less than 20 miles a day on her.

55-60 MAX going up hill with the trailer, getting 6-7mpg in 4x4 on the highway with the trailer in the snow, 10-11mpg normal driving.

If it's between those 2, get the diesel 250.

Absolutely love the ecoboost 150, and have two off them. They blow doors off almost anything, and will pull like a freight train.

BUT the engine braking is very very scary! No way I would pull a trailer in the mountains with one. It will barely slow down the pickup with a sled in the back, without riding the brakes too much.

If you like your V-10, the 6.2 gasser is better than the 10. Still too high of revver like the 10, but pulls harder.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
IMO you suggest something different entirely. That is 1/2 vs 3/4. My previous truck was a Chevy 1/2 with a 6.2. Rated at 11,400 towing never lacked power (would stand it against an eco boost all day but that's another topic). Front and rear leveling and rear air bags. Handled the trailer great, but the 3/4 chassis is a lot better handling the load. Windy days, slick days, it just holds the road better. My 6.2 worked great with the trailer, and the truth is I really didn't need a diesel, but I sure do like it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
BUT diesel repairs are stupid expensive. I just lost the entire fuel system on my duramax due to a faulty injection pump and the repair cost was around $9K and this was just parts I did the labor! This was a very expensive repair, but I also took the opportunity to upgrade my fuel system to make it more robust but it still hurts. .

HOLY COW DUDE.
$9K on a FUEL SYSTEM !!

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I was figuring you were talking about the 6.2 gasser in the F-250 not an Ecoboost F-150. I had not heard about the lack of engine breaking on the Eco's before the post above which is interesting but from what you are saying your use is that would seem like the better truck based on the amount of use towing it will see. I got to test drive one last fall pulling 10,000 and I was super impressed and that was the old body style. Better then any of the other gassers I had towed with and planned to put one until we decided to go the 5th wheel camper route and needed more payload.

IMO you need to lay your hands on one and tow your enclosed trailer all loaded up. You will be amazed at how that motor pulls and how the truck ride unloaded. We joked on our way back from Wyoming this winter on how many of those damn Ecoboosts were headed west with 25'-30' enclosed sled trailers when we we headed home.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Isn't the Ecoboost a diesel engine block?

I'm not worried about engine life, and it will out pull the 6.2.

Engine braking is what drives me crazy. Big wide open higher speed mountain pass it's ok. On a steep pass with lots of 20 to 30mph curves, it drives me crazy. You either have to go 15mph over in 2nd, or put it in 1st and rev the motor to the moon. Can never get it into a gear and just coast down a pass like I could with my 5.4, or my Chevy 350.

So you'll love the ecoboost uphill, but will doing brake pads way more often.

R
Feb 29, 2016
In the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton truck debate I don't even consider the 1/2 tons. I want solid axles and decent ground clearance. The pic I posted has the lifted 3/4 ton pushing snow with the bumper... I haven't ever bought a 1/2 truck because if I need a truck, I want a truck, not something designed to make people feel like they are in a car.

The 3/4 ton will be more stable towing partly because of sheer weight. It will have better brakes and suspension for the load.

I would get the F250 gasser over the 6.7 unless the thought of the engine howling up the passes disturbs you. All of the gassers are going to do that. They need rpm to make power. Wont hurt them, it is just different.

I would get the F250 over the F150 for previously mentioned reasons. I would get the 6.4 Ram over any of them, oh wait, I did.

Power Wagon rescues F250 6.7 on forest service road...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I hate the thought that was of $4-5 a gallon diesel fuel.
$150+ for a tank full is just painful

Last edited:

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
Reality check.

How many miles towing? 25% of those 20-25k? If it is that number and can give up the added stability 1/2 eco.

If it is more percentage I would go 3/4 ton and pick the motor of your choosing. Honestly, the gasser 3/4 ton would be hooked to my trailer and taken for a spin just to see.

You are already used to the 3/4 ton ride. You keep your trucks a long time so regardless they are worth "nothing" in the end. Resale is a wash. I think if you went to a half ton you might be kicking yourself this time next year. Best case you are at home. Worst case your trailer pushed you off the side of the road after an awesome day of riding.

F150 towing capacity: 5k - 10.4k 80% of total capacity
F250 towing capacity: 12k 60% of total capacity

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If you work a 6.0 gas mtr like a DIESEL it's going to last 85k to 120k they just cant handle the stress .
ANDRA:
Whats you take on the real world operating and maintenance costs on the newest diesels ??

And whats your PERSONAL MECHANIC's take on Ford's
second-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 diesel ??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What about waiting a yr or 2 for the 5.0 EB? Not sure if it's just a Raptor motor though or if they will put it in other 1/2s and 3/4s. I'd think that puppy would pull 10k like a dream.

http://horsepowerkings.com/the-f-150-raptor-will-receive-the-ecoboost-5-0-twin-turbo-v8-in-2018/

Twin-Turbo V8 in the new Raptor: The F-150 Raptor will also receive the upcoming EcoBoost 5.0 V8 in 2018

HorsepowerKings | March 21, 2016 |
Images of the actual 5.0 Twin Turbo powerplant below

The 2018 F-150 Raptor will become the beneficiary of the coming EcoBoost 5.0 V8, according to insider sources at Ford – and we may even see the V8 make it’s way into the truck for the 2017 debut.
“The Raptor, packaged with the EcoBoost 5.0 V8, will be irresistible – and Ford knows it.”, claims our insider.

“The EcoBoost 5.0 V8 program has been under development for a several years, and first made it’s public appearance in the Cobra Jet program in late-2012. The underlying purpose of the EcoBoost V8 project was to power the next-gen GT500. The 5.2L FPC program contributed to delaying the 5.0 EcoBoost program, but this V8 Twin-Turbo program is now on track again, and will make it’s debut in the next GT500 and 2018 F-150 Raptor, and could possibly become a second-motor option for the 2017 model year Raptor”

We are also told that the new 10-speed automatic transmission that will be found in the 2016 3.5L V6 EcoBoost Raptor will be the same transmission utilized in the V8 Raptor, whether it goes on sale as a 2017 model year, or 2018.

“The Raptor will ultimately be a two-motor truck – that was the plan all along – much like you have the option for the EcoBoost V6 or 5.0 V8 in other F-150 models. Ford knows there is a market for both powertrains, and wants to capitalize in both realms. Ford is really pushing the V6 EcoBoost program, and thought it was a great opportunity to debut both the Ford GT and Raptor with the 3.5L EcoBoost platform in Detroit, but make no mistake that the Twin Turbo V8 is on it’s way – I’m just not sure if we will see it in the 2017 Raptor, or the 2018.”

What is really interesting, we are told – is that this Twin-Turbo V8 could possibly make it’s way into other models of the Ford lineup. What could Ford stuff the EcoBoost V8 into, aside from the GT500 and Raptor?
“Ford has thrown quite a bit of resources and R&D into this V8 EcoBoost program, so don’t be surprised if you see it in other vehicles within Ford Performance in the future.”

Our guess is we will see the motor in other F-150 models, such as the FX4, Lariat and Platinum – possibly even the Super Duty models as an alternative to the 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

Premium Features