• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L reviews

J
Nov 12, 2015
Colorado
Here's the bottom line; no one "needs" a diesel pickup as a daily driver. The Hemi's shine in comparasion for that duty. But, when you put a big trailer (over 14') behind your truck and live out west, the engine situation flip flops. The diesel reins supreme in that arena. So do like I do and have a 5.7 1500 for your daily driver and a 2016 Ram 3500DRW for towing..... Problem solved and no need to debate how well the 6.7 tows vs the 6.4?

C
Dec 24, 2014
I live out west so I don't have to pull a big trailer. I don't live in the city for a million different reasons. Depends on your needs.

What I need is a job that's pays as well as Joe Nobody's so I could afford $100k worth of trucks to meet my needs...

J
Nov 12, 2015
Colorado
My Ram 1500 is an old beater.....$10k truck. What you need is discipline. If you read my previous post you'll know that I took my uncles advice and lived well within my needs for most of my life. When you get into your mid 40's and you dont have any debt, you can start to buy nice things with cash and live quilt free. That being said, the good Lord has blessed me far more than I deserve. I made a very substantial commitment(one years salary)to help our Church buy a new property and build new buildings. My wife and I weren't sure how we would meet that number over a 3 year period, but guess what? We did and we did it early. Now I know this is a bit off subject, but I think it is important to be financially sound and to believe in a God that believes in you. Since I have already giving my .02 cents on the 6.4 deal and went off on a "Christian" rant, I will respectfully bow out of the thread...... Sorry for the hijacking��

Last edited:

iquizy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
NWMN
I have owned 6 or 7 Cummins trucks... and I wont go back.

Just do the math, the Cummins option is around $9000 and the mileage is 2 mpg better than the 6.4. Nine grand buys a LOT of gas, the Cummins is a luxury like leather seats, not a necessity by any stretch anymore.

The Power Wagon since 2014 is standard with the 6.4 and 4.10 gears. The 4.56 gears went away with the 5.7 Hemi. I run mine up and down mountain passes daily and do not find it screaming. It does need to tach at 4000 rpm to pull a big trailer up a hill but you will barely hear it working it is so smooth.

When I ordered my 14 cummins 2500 it was a 7k option and that amount is easily made up at resale. The only thing more expensive throughout ownership is maintenance.

C
Dec 24, 2014
When I ordered my 14 cummins 2500 it was a 7k option and that amount is easily made up at resale. The only thing more expensive throughout ownership is maintenance.

...and in my actual experience, that maintenance will cost you almost double what a gasser will. You will buy tires more often, replace front end parts more often. Oil changes are more expensive, fuel filter changes more expensive and much more often. I could go on and on but the fact is, that is a great motor in too light of a truck. It puts way to much weight on the front end IMO.

Resale recovery on the diesel is reported to be around $6000 over the gasser, so yes, you re coup most of that at resale but unless you work it for a living, it will never pencil against a gasser.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
...and in my actual experience, that maintenance will cost you almost double what a gasser will. You will buy tires more often, replace front end parts more often. Oil changes are more expensive, fuel filter changes more expensive and much more often. I could go on and on but the fact is, that is a great motor in too light of a truck. It puts way to much weight on the front end IMO.

Resale recovery on the diesel is reported to be around $6000 over the gasser, so yes, you re coup most of that at resale but unless you work it for a living, it will never pencil against a gasser.
Nah. We've got 6 diesel pickups and a couple gassers. For one you get heavier components with the diesel engine option, usually the 11.5" rear end and springs are different specs. Personally I'm good with doing ball joints and steering parts at 200K, that enough miles for me. Not so much on today's trucks, but 10 years ago oil change costs were a wash because you'd change the oil twice in gasser to once with the diesel.

It's nice having REAL power, diesel power that is. My experience is gas stuff is always down shifting, revving to the moon, no torque, eats fuel under a heavy load.....no thanks. Plus the gassers are boring to drive even when empty.

Another thing we've experienced, not only is resale value thousands more on a Cummins vs. whatever gas option, it's that the Cummins trucks actually sell. Nobody wants a 2/3500 gas Dodge and you have to either give it away or wait a year for that one "off" guy to come along that wants gas instead for some reason.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I'll disagree to on the maintenance cost difference. The only real difference is in the fuel filter service. The 6.4L asked to be changed about every 7k miles and the 6.7L is asking to be changed about every 14k miles according to the dash and with the new oils in the gas it costs more then half of a diesel service. The diesel engine doesn't weigh that much more then the gas either if I remember right my 6.4L compared to my 6.7L is under 500 pounds difference. That's not much with the capacities of these new pickups. Identical driving identical pickup other then the engine I went from 9.5mpg average to a 14.5 average. Its not a huge difference but means your saving about $500 for every 10,000 miles you drive the diesel over the gas. I think it still comes down to use if you never haul over 8000-10000k pounds and do it occasionally you'll be ok with the gas any more and your going to prefer the diesel.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Nah. We've got 6 diesel pickups and a couple gassers. For one you get heavier components with the diesel engine option, usually the 11.5" rear end and springs are different specs.

My truck has the 11.5 rear end. The only reason the spring rates are different is for the weight of the diesel engine. The rest of the truck is pretty much the same. Same frames, same brakes, same axles.

Personally I'm good with doing ball joints and steering parts at 200K, that enough miles for me. Not so much on today's trucks, but 10 years ago oil change costs were a wash because you'd change the oil twice in gasser to once with the diesel.

No way you get 200k from ball joints unless you drive like gramma. Even then they last 60k tops. My last truck was a 140k mile 2500 gasser on its originals.

It's nice having REAL power, diesel power that is. My experience is gas stuff is always down shifting, revving to the moon, no torque, eats fuel under a heavy load.....no thanks. Plus the gassers are boring to drive even when empty.

The 410 hp 6.4 is not enough power for you? Plenty for me.

Another thing we've experienced, not only is resale value thousands more on a Cummins vs. whatever gas option, it's that the Cummins trucks actually sell. Nobody wants a 2/3500 gas Dodge and you have to either give it away or wait a year for that one "off" guy to come along that wants gas instead for some reason.

Dumbest argument ever. The NADA book shows an average of $6k for the diesel and you paid 7-9k for it up front. I have had no trouble selling my last two 2500 gassers. There are people who seek them out.

I have owned 6-7 Cummins trucks, 2 d-max, and a powerstroke. I know exactly what it costs to run one. You are lying to yourselves if you do not think there is a big difference in maintenance costs.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
My truck has the 11.5 rear end. The only reason the spring rates are different is for the weight of the diesel engine. The rest of the truck is pretty much the same. Same frames, same brakes, same axles.
Seems I recall you said or had a picture of a Power Wagon? IIRC those have a 10.5 rear. Are you sure you're not confused between the two rears? Unless something has changed in the last year or two, gas trucks came with the smaller 10.5. GVWR is not always the same, it depends on the package the truck was ordered with from the factory. But, rest assured the heaviest package availabe is always with the diesel option. Fords were a perfect example of this. You could get an F350 setup for 9900gcwr, or all the way up to 12K IIRC.

No way you get 200k from ball joints unless you drive like gramma. Even then they last 60k tops. My last truck was a 140k mile 2500 gasser on its originals.
Last truck I did a major front end over haul on was my '01 2500 Cummins. Original ball joints and steering components changed at 205K. Have an '06 3500 with original everything at 190K. Truck was just aligned too, so obviously not worn out up front. Another '06 Mega cab (my sled trailer truck) with 94K, lifted, big tires/wide rims, all original. '02 3500 170K all original and aligned last year. These trucks all work in a farming application most of the time pulling goosenecks hauling tractors.

These trucks are not as "light" as you might think. It's not that much more weight. Put a big steel bumper on the front of your gasser with a winch and I guarantee you are just as heavy on the front axle as a stock Cummins truck. You're idea of this 60K tops is simply put, inaccurate.

The 410 hp 6.4 is not enough power for you? Plenty for me.
Not when that 410HP is generated from a measly 400+/- ft lbs of torque. The Cummins makes more torque below it's power band (say 1300rpm) than that gasser does in it's peak power band.

Dumbest argument ever. The NADA book shows an average of $6k for the diesel and you paid 7-9k for it up front. I have had no trouble selling my last two 2500 gassers. There are people who seek them out.

How so? It's simple. Take, say an '01 2500 Dodge 4x4. Good clean Cummins version sells for $14K and you have people knocking your door down wanting to buy it. Same truck with a 5.9 gas or that 8LV10 and it's worth $7K, and it's a ghost town, waiting for someone to come along that wants it.

I have owned 6-7 Cummins trucks, 2 d-max, and a powerstroke. I know exactly what it costs to run one. You are lying to yourselves if you do not think there is a big difference in maintenance costs.

Where it costs, is under the hood when there is a problem. A turbo, injectors, etc.. everything is a grand or more. I'll give ya that. Not sure on this fuel filter deal. I buy fuel filter from Carquest for $10 and change it. Oil changes are negligible when you factor mileage range.

It's kinda like snowmobiles really... do we want to ride little 550 fan sleds in the mountains or do we want to be a big boy and ride an 800 Pro with a 155, even though it may initially cost more? Don't know about you but I'd rather stay home on the couch and give up than ride a 550 fan.

Last edited:
R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
Ah hell, I will admit gas has come a LONG way in the last decade. They do beat the hell out of the old stuff, 350's, 454's, 351, 460, etc. Heck even a late vortec injected 350 from the late 90's is nothing compared to a 6.0L LS based engine. But, I still wouldn't want one to get my heavy Interstate 27' 4 place around.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Power wagon has the 11.5" rear axle from '14 on when they introduced the 6.4L. Not to rub it in or anything but my Power Wagon has a stronger rear axle that the Cummins unless you get the new HO version. They have an even larger ring gear fitted to those 11.7" I think.

So things have changed a LOT since the second gen days you want to refer back too.

I currently end up doing the wrench work on my bosses '06 3500. It has about 180k on it right now. We have had to replace injectors twice, ball joints twice and it is due again 60k later like clock work. I have replaced the clutch twice, the u-joints more times than I can count. I just did the third leaky rear axle seal. We have grenaded two front drive shafts, broken the t-case and had to replace the steering box. It get 20k from a set of tires no matter which brand.

This is reality if you work the truck. It just isn't up to the level of the motor, not even close.

I guess you can pick an old V10 that nobody even wanted new but wouldn't it make more sense to compare Hemi trucks, since that is what this thread is about? I am on my third Hemi 2500 and they cost a lot less to run than any diesel I have ever owned. I wouldn't go back unless I had a ton of towing I needed to do, and then I would probably buy a bigger truck to do it with.

I suggest you don't line that cummins up next to my Hemi for a stoplight drag either because stock for stock the gasser will smoke you. THAT is the power I use daily and the diesel can't touch it without mods.

Glad you love your diesels.... Not for me.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
If you're stuck on gas engines, you need to try an ecoboost. You won't buy another hemi.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
Power wagon has the 11.5" rear axle from '14 on when they introduced the 6.4L. Not to rub it in or anything but my Power Wagon has a stronger rear axle that the Cummins unless you get the new HO version. They have an even larger ring gear fitted to those 11.7" I think.
Then yes, they have made a change since last time I checked out specs on new stuff. Don't know why, it's not like any factory gas engine could even break anything inside the smaller 10.5" anyway. They must be wanting to stream line parts or something.

I currently end up doing the wrench work on my bosses '06 3500. It has about 180k on it right now. We have had to replace injectors twice, ball joints twice and it is due again 60k later like clock work. I have replaced the clutch twice, the u-joints more times than I can count. I just did the third leaky rear axle seal. We have grenaded two front drive shafts, broken the t-case and had to replace the steering box. It get 20k from a set of tires no matter which brand.

This is reality if you work the truck. It just isn't up to the level of the motor, not even close.

No, not reality. Your boss either is doing something wrong or you have a freak truck. No one gets that kind of low mileage on parts. I run all my stuff hard, weighing in at 31K when I have my backhoe on. I've never even had to do a u joint yet as far as drivetrain parts, let alone rear ends, bearings, etc. I'm in a rural farm area and no one I know has problems like that. Your boss either needs to ditch that truck or learn how to operate equipment. Remember.... you are quick to blame the Cummins. A big bumper and winch on your truck and you weigh the same up front anyway, lol. It's not that much more weight. Taking 400lbs off the front of your boss's truck isn't going to solve his problems.

I guess you can pick an old V10 that nobody even wanted new but wouldn't it make more sense to compare Hemi trucks, since that is what this thread is about? I am on my third Hemi 2500 and they cost a lot less to run than any diesel I have ever owned. I wouldn't go back unless I had a ton of towing I needed to do, and then I would probably buy a bigger truck to do it with.
5.9 360, V10, Hemi... doesn't matter. No one wants a 2500 or 3500 around here that requires gasoline to be inserted in the tank.
I suggest you don't line that cummins up next to my Hemi for a stoplight drag either because stock for stock the gasser will smoke you. THAT is the power I use daily and the diesel can't touch it without mods.
Myself and my 500HP/1000ft lbs '06 would take that race anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Last edited:
C
Dec 24, 2014
Then yes, they have made a change since last time I checked out specs on new stuff. Don't know why, it's not like any factory gas engine could even break anything inside the smaller 10.5" anyway. They must be wanting to stream line parts or something.

Lots of damaged 10.5s behind the 5.7 Power Wagons. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it isn't happening...

No, not reality. Your boss either is doing something wrong or you have a freak truck. No one gets that kind of low mileage on parts. I run all my stuff hard, weighing in at 31K when I have my backhoe on. I've never even had to do a u joint yet as far as drivetrain parts, let alone rear ends, bearings, etc. I'm in a rural farm area and no one I know has problems like that. Your boss either needs to ditch that truck or learn how to operate equipment. Remember.... you are quick to blame the Cummins. A big bumper and winch on your truck and you weigh the same up front anyway, lol. It's not that much more weight. Taking 400lbs off the front of your boss's truck isn't going to solve his problems.

Well, we live and work in the mountains, not the farmland. Pretty major difference right there. It gets chained up and USED regularly. He isn't doing anything wrong with it, and from my experience with a bunch of these trucks, I would say yours is the freak for lasting. The repairs we have made to the truck coincide with a bunch of other similar trucks run by friends in the area. Our stone mason just trades his Rams in every other year because they wont hold together.

5.9 360, V10, Hemi... doesn't matter. No one wants a 2500 or 3500 around here that requires gasoline to be inserted in the tank.

Not the case here based on my actual experience but keep preaching it brother, maybe somebody will believe!

Myself and my 500HP/1000ft lbs '06 would take that race anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Given the same mod budget you used, applied to my truck and, I think we should do it for pinks. The 2.9L blower for my truck ought to suffice...

Stock vs stock son, or we match mod budgets and then race. It isn't a race you can win either way...

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
Lots of damaged 10.5s behind the 5.7 Power Wagons. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it isn't happening...
In stock trucks doing normal work? I doubt it. Sure, if a guy is running 42" SX's and bashing the truck in the rocks.

Well, we live and work in the mountains, not the farmland. Pretty major difference right there. It gets chained up and USED regularly. He isn't doing anything wrong with it, and from my experience with a bunch of these trucks, I would say yours is the freak for lasting. The repairs we have made to the truck coincide with a bunch of other similar trucks run by friends in the area. Our stone mason just trades his Rams in every other year because they wont hold together.
Real work is on the farm, oil fields, mining, construction...lol driving around in the mountains with chains on...lol:laugh: Do a poll here! Anywhere for that matter. No one gets 60K out of original parts. I can't honestly believe you actually think that 400 extra pounds makes the difference between a part lasting 20K vs. 200K.

Not the case here based on my actual experience but keep preaching it brother, maybe somebody will believe!
Alright, then lets just agree to disagree. Here, no one wants gas around here period. Maybe where you are at, where it's colder or something, it could be different.

Given the same mod budget you used, applied to my truck and, I think we should do it for pinks. The 2.9L blower for my truck ought to suffice...

Stock vs stock son, or we match mod budgets and then race. It isn't a race you can win either way...
You can buy a blower for $600? Which is what my PMT cost me.... Don't even start the mod for mod thing. That is simply FACT, you can get twice as much out of a $300 tuner for a competent diesel than you can a $3000 blower for a gas engine. Dyno approved....

Stock for stock, I'd like to see a 6.4hemi vs a stock new 400+HP cummins, probably would be really close. I'd like to also see a second race, one with a girly little load (say an open 4 place with 4 light pros on it) up a hill. Forget using a real trailer with some weight on it, that answer is easy.

Oh and don't call me son, it's disrespectful, and I'm probably older than you are anyway.

Last edited:
N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
new diesels have too many band aid fixes to meet emissions. when things go wrong in a new diesel it is very costly to repair vs a gasser. diesels should only be owned by people who tow heavy every single day and make money doing it.

I had a 06 cummins and went to a chevy 1500. so far im glad I did. same mpg both trucks.

the cummins could idle for 27 years in winter time and not get warmed up.
120k on the clock the trans needed replacement. the higher torque right off idle kills transmissions.
100k did ball joints and u-joints from that heavy motor sitting on the front end.
occasionally in winter time when very cold (below zero) fuel gels up and kills the engine.

the only good things about the diesel were torque when climbing a hill with a trailer (which happens 10x per year)and that when I went to sell it, it was worth its weight in gold to young kids.

overall my diesel was a pain in the ***. and I didn't even have one with emissions crap on it!

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
new diesels have too many band aid fixes to meet emissions. when things go wrong in a new diesel it is very costly to repair vs a gasser. diesels should only be owned by people who tow heavy every single day and make money doing it.

I had a 06 cummins and went to a chevy 1500. so far im glad I did. same mpg both trucks.

the cummins could idle for 27 years in winter time and not get warmed up.
120k on the clock the trans needed replacement. the higher torque right off idle kills transmissions.
100k did ball joints and u-joints from that heavy motor sitting on the front end.
occasionally in winter time when very cold (below zero) fuel gels up and kills the engine.

the only good things about the diesel were torque when climbing a hill with a trailer (which happens 10x per year)and that when I went to sell it, it was worth its weight in gold to young kids.

overall my diesel was a pain in the ***. and I didn't even have one with emissions crap on it!

Well you can't judge all diesels by this. My 2013 Chevy Durmax has started just fine at negative 18F and never jelled, it DOES warm up at an idle in cold temps and they are easy on trannies. And they drive good and trailer good. My '05 had 126,000 miles on it with no issues, and still had all the factory ball joints, u-joints, tranny, and even brakes which is why I bought another. I have had Fords and Dodges as well. The Ford went through 3 trannies and two engines and 2 front end rebuilds but to be fair that was in 250,000 miles. My dodge needed head work, front end work, and went through u-joints. At the end of the day, a heavier diesel pickup is a safer way to haul a long heavy enclosed sled trailer as they handle the weight better on slippery roads....but they are not for everyone.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California

NO! This is not reality. No one gets more than 20K out of their complete front end if it has the Cummins. You sir....are mistaken. :pound:

Trannies are kind of a crap shoot. One guy gets 90K out of one, another guy gets 250K. One thing is for sure, trannies that actually get serviced seem to last a long time on average if they aren't beat on with chips and huge trailers.

B

benny7cfan

Sep 11, 2009
MN
Alright I had my first experience in a 2014 Dodge 3500 mega cab, 6.4L, 4.10 gears. We were loaded with four people, a sled deck, and two place enclosed Triton clam shell. Cruising the interstate at 81 mph from MN to CO we got 4mpg. This truck is not for me.

Premium Features