• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Your Ecoboosts, and what you're pulling?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Anyone have pix of their setups, likes/dislikes, etc...?

I picked up a new '14 s crew fx4 this spring. Loving this truck so far, but I haven't had any real chance to pull much of anything yet. I added 1000# helper bags, and that's it so far.

I've been looking at trailers, and trying to get an idea of what I'd like to get. I'm leaning towards a combo type trailer, all aluminum ideally. 2-3 sleds would be most typical haul, and double as storage/minimal hauling of my '66 Nova.

Rmkguy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Moses Lake, Washington
I have a fx4 and pull a 4 place interstate trailer. This truck pulls the trailer with ease. The only problems I have is the 1/2 ton is a little light and if you have high winds it will move the *** end of the truck around. Makes for interesting towing occcasionally. I would recommend a lower profile trailer with a v-nose. Other than that Im getting ready to order another ecoboost.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I have a fx4 and pull a 4 place interstate trailer. This truck pulls the trailer with ease. The only problems I have is the 1/2 ton is a little light and if you have high winds it will move the *** end of the truck around. Makes for interesting towing occcasionally. I would recommend a lower profile trailer with a v-nose. Other than that Im getting ready to order another ecoboost.

Thanks! Ever notice the sway control kick in on any of those occasions?

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Anyone have pix of their setups, likes/dislikes, etc...?

I picked up a new '14 s crew fx4 this spring. Loving this truck so far, but I haven't had any real chance to pull much of anything yet. I added 1000# helper bags, and that's it so far.

I've been looking at trailers, and trying to get an idea of what I'd like to get. I'm leaning towards a combo type trailer, all aluminum ideally. 2-3 sleds would be most typical haul, and double as storage/minimal hauling of my '66 Nova.

I just traded in my 12' screw xlt towards a 13' 3500 cummins. My ecoboost was box tuned and towed amazingly for a 1/2 ton.

The ecoboost is the only gas engine I've driven that has diesel engine characteristics when towing. It's the craziest thing, and I would have never guessed it in a million years, until I witnessed it first hand. It seems like it never shifts down and won't rev over 2500 rpm, just pulls and pulls!

I think that truck actually got better MPG when towing my 27' enclosed than my cummins does now.

If I could get an ecoboost in a super duty with a long box I'd probably still be rocking that little 3.5 v6!

There's rumors of a 5.0 v8 ecoboost, if that came in the super duty that may be the bees knees, his legs and his arms. :face-icon-small-coo

S
Nov 13, 2015
Don't tow with mine in the winter but do tow a 29 foot fifth wheel camper all summer long with no problem! Weight fully loaded with water and gear is about 10k lbs. I have max tow package on mine and use a Road Master Active suspension for the rear and like them better than airbags.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I just traded in my 12' screw xlt towards a 13' 3500 cummins. My ecoboost was box tuned and towed amazingly for a 1/2 ton.

The ecoboost is the only gas engine I've driven that has diesel engine characteristics when towing. It's the craziest thing, and I would have never guessed it in a million years, until I witnessed it first hand. It seems like it never shifts down and won't rev over 2500 rpm, just pulls and pulls!

I think that truck actually got better MPG when towing my 27' enclosed than my cummins does now.

If I could get an ecoboost in a super duty with a long box I'd probably still be rocking that little 3.5 v6!

There's rumors of a 5.0 v8 ecoboost, if that came in the super duty that may be the bees knees, his legs and his arms. :face-icon-small-coo

Heard lots of talk about a 5.0 eco. From the sounds of it, would be a selling machine! Im still surprised how hard the 3.5 runs, way anxious to start pulling a little.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I pulled a bunch with our company eb and it is impressive. As someone else mentioned, the power it makes at low rpm with a trailer in tow is like a diesel without the noise....it's almost weird. I pulled some serious passes with an atv in the back + 20' enclosed with a big side by side and a ton of other crap packed in it....2500 rpm and speed limit++ no prob. Would give a diesel a run until you got in to the heavier loads IMO. I have driven a lot of trucks and it is hands down the best gas motor for towing. Not just overall power, but quiet power and not revvvvv shift booogg repeat. I'm not a Ford guy typically but the new f150s with the Eco are a hell of a nice unit.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I pulled a bunch with our company eb and it is impressive. As someone else mentioned, the power it makes at low rpm with a trailer in tow is like a diesel without the noise....it's almost weird. I pulled some serious passes with an atv in the back + 20' enclosed with a big side by side and a ton of other crap packed in it....2500 rpm and speed limit++ no prob. Would give a diesel a run until you got in to the heavier loads IMO. I have driven a lot of trucks and it is hands down the best gas motor for towing. Not just overall power, but quiet power and not revvvvv shift booogg repeat. I'm not a Ford guy typically but the new f150s with the Eco are a hell of a nice unit.

Thanks, I know that you're a Toyota guy, so that just shows your remarks are truly genuine!

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
ive pulled my 30' charmac trailer (about 6500 lbs) a few times with the EB and it does amazing in terms of power. it'll sway a bit when passing semi's. if we just towed short distances or on slower roads i would use it all the time, but the super duty still feels much more planted on the freeway.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Well, it sounds like i should be set for my plans with the truck then. Gonna try to stay as short as i can, with just enough room to fit my car. Should help cut down on some sway

C

catrider800

Jan 9, 2008
Albany, MN
Have 52K on my 13' Eco so far and have pulled campers, skidloader, and my 29' stealth enclosed a couple times out west. Very impressive motor to say the least. Pulls everything just as well as my old 03' Duramax and gets up and goes quicker too plus a lot nicer as a daily driver. Been looking at 3/4 ton diesels again just for something different but really can't justify it for how good this thing pulls. If your pulling 10K or less and don't need the payload capacity this is the way to go.

I did have the sway control kick in once on the freeway around Livingston MT when heading to Yellowstone. 50-70 mph crosswinds were really pushing the trailer around and the load control turned on and straightened it right out. Thought it was just a gimmick but it really does work.

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Have 52K on my 13' Eco so far and have pulled campers, skidloader, and my 29' stealth enclosed a couple times out west. Very impressive motor to say the least. Pulls everything just as well as my old 03' Duramax and gets up and goes quicker too plus a lot nicer as a daily driver. Been looking at 3/4 ton diesels again just for something different but really can't justify it for how good this thing pulls. If your pulling 10K or less and don't need the payload capacity this is the way to go.

I did have the sway control kick in once on the freeway around Livingston MT when heading to Yellowstone. 50-70 mph crosswinds were really pushing the trailer around and the load control turned on and straightened it right out. Thought it was just a gimmick but it really does work.

The good ole winds from Reed Point rest area to Livingston. By far has to be the windiest stretch on earth.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I have almost 95k miles on my 2011 ecoboost. I like the hp (though I know they can get more out of it) and rides really nice down.

I don't tow anything since it's a SHO; you didn't specify in your thread topic trucks only. haha

agalen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Helena, MT
can somebody translate this to English? location?

He's referring to the stretch of road between Reed Point, MT which is around Mile marker 392 on I-90 and Livingston, MT mile marker 333 on I-90. It is a windy SOB......i had a sun roof eject out of a civic a while back due to crosswinds!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
They sound great but I keep a truck a long time and have heard they are a 100,000 mile motor and thats it. Just some google searches came up with that.

Really? I've heard they've been quite solid according to the local boys. Everything is junk on the Internet Ive given up on that.

Premium Features