• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoWest Project Trailer 2015: Building a "MORE" perfect trailer.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Here's another thought, have someone else with a 250/2500 tow your trailer with it loaded the way you have been. If they have the same problems then you know it's trailer/load related. If not then it's your truck.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Sounds like u need for weight on the tongue. My old trailer pulled like crap when I drove the sled in from the front. Not enough tongue weight. I do pull trailer everyday and can tell u that to much tongue weight is way better the not enough. I have never pulled with a weight distribution hitch before but from what I gather they don't like tight turns. Which a guy would have to unhook it to turn around on top the mountain.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
We messed with my buddies mirage a lot. It was so bad we pulled over at a truck stop, unload all the machines, and reloaded. Had (3) rzr's in it all backed in (motor in back of Rzr) and it was a LOT of tongue weight. It made it better but did not fix the problem.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Given we are still in the holiday season I think the first thing I will try is to front load the heavy sleds and add a few hundred pounds to the tongue and see if that makes a difference or not.

Going to the scales next week will give us all some HARD NUMBERS to chew on, but won't really have any impact on solving the problem.

Checking out the trailer on a different truck is a VERY good suggestion.
That should quickly isolate whether or not the TRUCK is the source of the problem or if it is in fact the Trailer.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
As stated, too much tongue weight will NOT hurt you until you are excessively squatting the rear of truck, which you have clearly indicated is not the case.

There is a reason semi trailers place their wheels way out back.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yeah, the further back the axles are the better it will track.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
6e9a9fcc0df9f76b1d70464c49602f4d.jpg

Alright we moved the heavy sleds up to the front. It is a little bit better but isn't fixed yet.

But we also have a 5th sled in the back so that is reducing the increased tongue weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
Why are you hiding behind the boot dryers? :face-icon-small-ton

6e9a9fcc0df9f76b1d70464c49602f4d.jpg

Alright we moved the heavy sleds up to the front. It is a little bit better but isn't fixed yet.

But we also have a 5th sled in the back so that is reducing the increased tongue weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just back from a GREAT DAY of riding.

So..

TONGUE WEIGHT MATTERS!

Holy Cow was I surprised.
By shifting the Nytro and the Viper to the front of the trailer and moving the two Phazers to the rear of the trailer, the towing experience was damn near NIGHT & DAY different.

Honestly, I had no idea.
I took several photos with my phone camera, which are horribly grainy as they were shot at night after the day's riding, but they show clearly how the trailer is "loading" the truck itself.

Truck Empty, trailer weight on tongue only
Truck and trailer are both pretty much LEVEL.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

5 sleds loaded.
Nytro and Viper in front.
Phazers just on or behind rear axls
1 Skidoo in rear of trailer.

Truck and trailer still both appear to be near level!
picture.php

picture.php

studboy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Nokomis,SK
The big question is how do you get five people in the cab of that truck? Trailer looks great. If the truck squats to much for your liking i have run blocks in the overloads on dodge trucks before. Just measure the distance from the overloads to the stops and bolt in some tubing so it just sits on them empty. We cut 2" tube and bolted it through the holes that held the rubber to the stops mounted to the frame. Jacked the truck up an inch or so and slide them in.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thats just it, there is little or NO squat at all.
The suspension clearly is NOT part of the problem.

As for the 5.
Its DANG TIGHT.

I am holding out for a brand new 2016 F250 "Mega Cab" that spy photos suggest will finally be offered by Ford. I just have to suck it up for one more season!!!

2017-ford-super-duty-spied-profile-1_zpsca8037b6.jpg

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
If Chevy or Ford would build a full 6 door, I would buy one. I've seen a few conversions around but the interior seems to be a little sketchy.

That 2016 Ford might be on my list for next fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Maybe 6 months from now and we will know whats really coming or not.
Till then, I will make do pulling my trailer with my 2 door shortbed.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Or with the 6.4 Hemi if he wants to stay with a gaser. I like the 6.4 better then the 6.2 offered by Ford )but it's always personal preference anyway) Sure maybe the 2016 with have a larger Ecoboost but we've been talking about that for years now. LOL Plus with the Ram he could go down to the local dealership and have it before he heads to Canada for that big trip. :face-icon-small-coo

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
After having an F250 extended cab/shortbed and going to a crewcab/sb, you will notice a difference towing with regards to stability as well. Even more so with a 30' trailer.

Premium Features