• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Ford Super Duty uping the ante

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
This argument has successfully been made before. There isn't a real reason to buy a diesel I agree unless you tow all the time. I buy them anyway because I like them better. But if you're a GM guy you have to admit the gas engine offering is not inspiring. At least not to me

I agree it could use an update or make the 6.2l workhorse capable but the 6.0 liter is a motor that will last forever. The right 4.10 gearing and it gets the job done fine.

K

knaffie

Dec 8, 2011
Information regarding the 2016/2017 I posted has been correct. Sorry, I was given some bad information. The new model isn't until 2017. 2016 is a carry over (same as 2015).

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I hope the rumors of a new duramax with more power and torque are true. I would imagine they are especially since ford upped their numbers. I know my 12' duramax has a ton of power can't imagine what anymore will feel like! I honestly can't tell a difference between a 14' superduty and a 15' maybe when your hooked up to a trailer is when you can tell the difference?

K

knaffie

Dec 8, 2011
I hope the rumors of a new duramax with more power and torque are true. I would imagine they are especially since ford upped their numbers. I know my 12' duramax has a ton of power can't imagine what anymore will feel like! I honestly can't tell a difference between a 14' superduty and a 15' maybe when your hooked up to a trailer is when you can tell the difference?

I test drove 14s and 15s. There is a definite difference. Not just in power, but in refinement. The shifts are so much better. I see guys who upgraded from a 11-14 to a 15 on the forums all the time talking about how much different the new truck drives.

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Have a 15 3/4 ton ford with a 6.7. Previously had a 2011. You can tell a difference. more power on the top end, about the same on the bottom. Gas mileage is not the greatest. My 11 would get 2-3 better pulling or without.

Just got back 2 weeks ago from mt. Pulled my 24vnose enclosed with a buddies (duramax325) 2015 duramax. Duramax is quiter in the interior, seems the front end handles a little better. Gets the same mileage as my 15 ford. Pulling wise, the chevy definitely was seeking gears more often. Couldn't really tell though as the tranny shifts very very smoothly and very quite. Seats in the ford i believe are nicer and along with more room in the cab. The Duramax is a very very nice truck. But i believe right now ford and dodge pulling wise are up on top. I wish sometimes they would concentrate a little more on fuel then power. But im not really complaining. There all making really nice trucks these days.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I had a 2011 6.7 ford which ran great. Now have a 2015 6.7 ford and there is a difference in power while empty, towing, etc.
It runs like my 11 did with a 70-80 hp tune on it, but does a better job than the 11 tuned.

The "exhaust brake" actually works like it supposed to at elevation.

K

knaffie

Dec 8, 2011
Interesting you say the Chevy is quieter inside. I drove them back to back twice (Denali then F350 Platinum then the next day LTZ then F250 Lariat) and I thought the Ford was much quieter inside.

I agree, I wish they would focus more on mileage than power too. All these trucks have plenty of power to tow whatever most people need. And if they don't, they really belong in a larger (medium duty) truck anyway.

I just got back from a 4300 mile trip from Louisville, KY to Brawley, CA (Glamis dunes) up to Johnson Valley, CA and back. I saw anything from 14 MPG @ 80 MPH (tail wind) to 8 MPG @ 65 MPH (head wind). 70-75 was

The truck pulled extremely well, handled the load awesome, had tons of power, and the exhaust brake worked awesome. The transmission was average rolling speed. I didn't drive conservatively looking for good mileage, I wanted to get there. impressive, especially coming from an Allison before this truck. I love how comfortable the seats are (especially the cooled seats) and I love how great the stereo sounds. My only real bitches with the truck are the 26 gallon fuel tank and the cruise control's ability to hold speed (it goes way below and way above on it's own).

Trailer was 10,000-ish pounds - estimating, I didn't roll across the scale.

1.jpg 2.jpg IMG_20150126_152621830_HDR.jpg IMG_20150130_114122428_HDR.jpg IMG_20150130_114226787_HDR.jpg IMG_20150131_135532310.jpg IMG_20150202_164314010_HDR.jpg IMG_20150205_125753257_HDR.jpg IMG_20150204_110529283_HDR.jpg

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Yes you are right about the 26gal tank. So stupid to put that small of a tank in a truck made to be pulling. Both times with my platinum when i headed west was windy. 80mph pulling 4 sleds in above mentioned trailer was 8.8 - 9.5mpg. Noticed in the wind that the doors dont seem to seal as well as the duramax. Same as my 11. You should drive through big timber to livingston Montana once and u will hear what im talking about. When it gets really windy the chevy felt quiter. Under somewhat normal conditions the ford is quite.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I test drove 14s and 15s. There is a definite difference. Not just in power, but in refinement. The shifts are so much better. I see guys who upgraded from a 11-14 to a 15 on the forums all the time talking about how much different the new truck drives.

I just personally couldn't tell a difference between the two. I will say I was impressed with my buddies 14' f350. I do like the seats and the space in the cab better then my 12' chev.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
EDIT: I confirmed 2016 will be a carry-over from 2016. New model will be 2017.

Here's my 2015.

Mind if I ask HOW/WHERE you were able to confirm this?
Considering I am deliberately holding off on a new truck, it's more than just of passing interest to me...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Didn't know the V10 was a old stalwart. Pretty cool. Why didn't you go diesel Chris? Just curious.

When I bought the truck back in 2005 it was for my boat business in lake Havasu Az. Nothing but super short hauls in and out of the boat ramp all day long pulling boats and the truck was cheap.

K

knaffie

Dec 8, 2011
look at 2002 superduty's - a diesel will bring 5-7k more than a gas equivalent. maybe not at this very moment because gas is cheap and people are woefully shortsighted ....

A lot more than that, IMO. 10K+ more in many instances. And a much larger pool of buyers. The older it gets, the more value it retains, versus the same gas truck is worth less and less. I don't agree with it, but that's the market.

That's why I bought a brand new truck. $65K sticker can easily be bought for $55K. 2-3 year old trucks with 55K miles were selling for 45-55K. It would be stupid to buy used.

I just sold my 06 Duramax for 5K over KBB value. 9 year old truck with 130K and I got almost $30K for it. Granted that's the last year of the "pre emissions" trucks, so it gets a premium price, but still. That same truck with a gas engine would be worth maybe half that much. 8-9K more new retains its value or more throughout the life of the vehicle.

The argument in value is if fuel that's 30% more, more expensive oil filters, fuel filters, fuel additives, electricity to plug it in, DEF fluid, etc. make the overall cost of the value cheaper or more expensive over the life of the vehicle. I've never taken the time to figure it all out. Seems pointless anyway, as the cost of fuel and the used vehicle market keep changing. Remember when people used to buy diesels just because diesel fuel was cheaper?

Last edited:
K

knaffie

Dec 8, 2011
Mind if I ask HOW/WHERE you were able to confirm this?
Considering I am deliberately holding off on a new truck, it's more than just of passing interest to me...

A friend near Detroit that has inside information. He's seen the new trucks on Ford's property and talked to people working on them about them. The order cutoff for 15s is in a couple months. There would be a lot more hype and exposure if an all new truck was going to start production in a couple months. Believe me, if the 16 model would have been all new, I would have waited another few months for it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A friend near Detroit that has inside information. He's seen the new trucks on Ford's property and talked to people working on them about them. The order cutoff for 15s is in a couple months. There would be a lot more hype and exposure if an all new truck was going to start production in a couple months. Believe me, if the 16 model would have been all new, I would have waited another few months for it.
How dissapointing.

K

knaffie

Dec 8, 2011
At least you have facts now. 6 months ago when I started looking at buying one, it was all speculation as to whether the new model was a 16 or 17.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
At least you have facts now. 6 months ago when I started looking at buying one, it was all speculation as to whether the new model was a 16 or 17.

2017 Ford F250 release date
The next-generation model is expected to come somewhere in the second half of 2016 as 2017 Ford F250.

When the Kentucky plant is shut down for the eight to 10 weeks (and that might be an optimistic amount of time) to refit for the new Super Dutys, it will deliver a huge hit to Ford's bottom line. You can bet Chevrolet, GMC and Ram will be ready to take advantage of the changeover by offering special deals on heavy-duty models during Ford's plant shutdown. However, it wouldn't surprise us if Ford had some type of backup plan to produce Super Dutys somewhere else.

K

knaffie

Dec 8, 2011
Having worked in automotive for many years and been through many launches, I would absolutely avoid the first 6 months or so of production. They do their best to contain problems, but **** happens, especially on "all new" vehicles. This was another reason we decided not to wait for the new body style to come out. Realistically, I wouldn't want to buy a truck until closer to mid 2017 if they start making them in late 2016.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Having worked in automotive for many years and been through many launches, I would absolutely avoid the first 6 months or so of production. They do their best to contain problems, but **** happens, especially on "all new" vehicles. This was another reason we decided not to wait for the new body style to come out. Realistically, I wouldn't want to buy a truck until closer to mid 2017 if they start making them in late 2016.

I have no problem whatsoever buying first year. Have many times and had no issues. 99F-250 SD, 97 production date. First gen D Max. 04 BMW 7 Series. 08 GM NBS. 2011F-250. 08 Porsche CTT. 07 Jeep JK. Just to name a few. Guess I've just been lucky. Matter a fact I'm that consumer the manufacturers love. The guy that just has to have the new release. Oh, yea, I always pay a premium also. Never said I was very smart.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-win

Sam

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I suppose there is always some degree of RISK associated with buying a brand new model when there have been a LOT of major changes to it.

Premium Features