• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro climb vs. old M chassis

S
Sep 20, 2009
Big Sky, MT
Wanted to hear some of your guys' thoughts on how the new pro climb chassis handles compared to the old m chassis. I've heard a few of the local guys stats the pro climb is terrible when trying to corner down hill. I can see how this could happen with the narrow front end which might equal less flotation. For the guys who have upgraded to the new chassis, let me know your thoughts.

E
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane WA
It all depends on year, front end, rear suspension location and a few other things. My buddy has a m and I got off my sled and jumped onto his and his seemed a lot more predictable. With that being said I have a 12 and the rear suspension was in the stock location and had the 40" front end. Since then the suspension has been moved. Put a bdx front end on it and adjusted the pressure in the floats. In stock locations it took a lot to pull over and once it was rotating it rotated to easy. Just sitting in the shop it is more of an even and easy transition to pull it over. If it was me find a good deal on a 13 and save yourself the troubles of swapping parts and moving the rear suspension location

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
no comparison to me. i love the pro climb, i loved my M series as well but it required alot more effort for me to move it around. at the end of the day on the M series i was tired and worn out. on the pro climb i still feel peppy ish (alot less tired) and on the trails in and out it doesnt beat the crap out of me.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
IMO the guys that don't like the pc are the ones that try to ride it like its an M series. Keep your feet all the way forward. I did a lot more wrong foot forward on my m than than I do on my pc. That right there tells me its a lot easier to ride.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I would never go back to an M after riding the Proclimb for 2 years. I will be honest the first ride was not pretty because I was trying to ride it like my M's but after about a day on it the comparison is not even close. The Proclimb also floats much much better than the M. I do see how one could make the argument that the M is more predictable though. This is especially true if you don't keep both feet on the correct side. Keep your feet planted and tip your head the direction you want to go and you're good to go.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I've got a proclimb (12) that's set up like a 13, but with a 2.5 CE track. On DEEP days it's truly an awesome sled.... but anything less than 18" with a soft base and I HATE IT. (I ride mostly technical terrain, steep & treed stuff in general.)

I have ridden cat for many years, LOVE my M's, and the proclimb helped me buy a skidoo, which I considered to be the worst handling sled in the mountains.

I spend many days on the proclimb, and it never felt connected to me, natural. I spent 2 hours on the XM and it felt like a part of me... when I HATED doo style steering until the day I tested an XM.

I've ridden the 12, then narrowed, then stock 13 shock length, then shortened then relocated skid, swapped track, lost weight... I've given this sled a lot of chances and tried to make it work for me... but I just feel like they flopped with this sled no matter how hard I wanted it to work.

imo, 1/2 a day on another sled and you'll never go back to a proclimb.

Once cat builds a better sled again I'll come RUNNING back though... I LOOOOOVE their motors, and that's just a huge factor for me in sledding.

rockymtnboy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2010
gods country, bc
I hated my proclimb the first two days out with it, just like stated above I was trying to ride it like my m. Once you figure out the chassis and where the sweet spots are it is by far a way more capable machine. I have both and jump back and forth regularly( my wife rides my m now). My m is slightly modded and my proclimb only has skis on it and I can take my stock proclimb more places than my m. The only place I find my m to be better is sidhilling at slow speeds on steep terrain. And I think that is because my m is 34 lbs lighter ( b/c of my mods) and the spindles are smaller. I spoke to bdx and the sales guy told me that their spindles make that slow speed side hill much better, I cannot verify that (but i am sure some else on sw could) b/c I have never rode their spindles but look forward to trying them in the future. That being said, there are things that I like about my m better, gas tank, where the exhaust exits, the fact that it has a hood, snow flap.........bottom line is, ill pick my proclimb before my m the days my wife does not come with me.

Last edited:
L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
i felt the opposite about the XM, i thought the power band was boring (it has power but it is linear) and i couldnt keep the xm in a carve always wanted to level back out.
That was my thoughts on it though.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
i felt the opposite about the XM, i thought the power band was boring (it has power but it is linear) and i couldnt keep the xm in a carve always wanted to level back out.

Blasphemy, everyone knows the XM is the best sled ever and can do everything better than any other sled ever produced ever. :dizzy:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

I think a HUGE factor for someone switching is setup. Where the cat is pretty much set to boondock right off the bat, the doo dealers set the XM up like a turd off the floor.

Bring the riser inline with the post, disconnect the swaybar, and add a click to the center shock preload beyond what it seems is normal. This will make the steering better, layover smoother, and front end lighter.

No sled is perfect for everybody... the pro has positives, the XM does, and the PC has some too, I just found that after 2-3 hours I felt more at home than after 10x that on the proclimb.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I thought the question was about a Proclimb or an M. No one over here really cares about the Xm. If they did, they can go to the Doo forum and ask over there. I have riden the Xm. Ok sled but I like to climb once in a while and that thing trenches and goes no where fast compared to the Cat. Just my experience 162-163. Gonna have another year to compare as my riding buddy has an Xm.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I thought the question was about a Proclimb or an M. No one over here really cares about the Xm. If they did, they can go to the Doo forum and ask over there. I have riden the Xm. Ok sled but I like to climb once in a while and that thing trenches and goes no where fast compared to the Cat. Just my experience 162-163. Gonna have another year to compare as my riding buddy has an Xm.

If we're not talking about xm why your 2 cents on them????

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

Doing great on the douchey posts lately bacon... nicely done again.
Maybe you need to keep in mind that someone not being a fan of the sled you chose to invest in (just like I did) isn't a personal attack on you. If it bothers you so much that not everyone is a fan of your chosen sled the internet likely isn't the best place for you. The fact that you don't like the xm sure doesn't bother me... it works for me, that's all that matters!

I loved my M's, imo still right up there as the best sled around. It may take more effort in some ways but it is a solid machine that kicks a$$ every day and you can get it to nail the lines you want every time. The PC rides "easier" in some ways but it doesn't nail a line like the M does. That said, my m was toast and I needed a new sled... so I had to find something. That something was an xm for me... i dislike the PC (THAT I ALREADY OWN AND HAVE MODDED) enough that I went to a sled I never thought I'd even give a chance to. Given the choice of an M and the PC I'd buy another M. Imo it's just an awesome sled that is tough to beat.

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Doing great on the douchey posts lately bacon... nicely done again.

I loved my M's, imo still right up there as the best sled around. It may take more effort in some ways but it is a solid machine that kicks a$$ every day and you can get it to nail the lines you want every time. The PC rides "easier" in some ways but it doesn't nail a line like the M does. That said, my m was toast and I needed a new sled... so I had to find something. That something was an xm for me... i dislike the PC (THAT I ALREADY OWN AND HAVE MODDED) enough that I went to a sled I never thought I'd even give a chance to. Given the choice of an M and the PC I'd buy another M. Imo it's just an awesome sled that is tough to beat.

Sticks and stones. Enjoy the name calling? We get it. You like your Xm. Not part of the topic. I don't go over to the Doo forum and bring up the Proclimb in every thread. I'm sure you will have some witty response.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Sticks and stones. Enjoy the name calling? We get it. You like your Xm. Not part of the topic. I don't go over to the Doo forum and bring up the Proclimb in every thread. I'm sure you will have some witty response.

A post being "douchey" isn't the same as calling someone a douche. Just like the one stupid mistake I made yesterday doesn't make me "stupid".

I'm terribly sorry that the comparison wasn't what you were hoping for.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Wanted to hear some of your guys' thoughts on how the new pro climb chassis handles compared to the old m chassis. I've heard a few of the local guys stats the pro climb is terrible when trying to corner down hill. I can see how this could happen with the narrow front end which might equal less flotation. For the guys who have upgraded to the new chassis, let me know your thoughts.

Just in case the original question was overlooked. :focus:

Premium Features