• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled deck build

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Made a little more progress tonight. I work 10's so there isn't a ton of time left after I get home.
I got the cross piece cut and welded in on the end of the dove tail. And got the main supports cut and welded in.
DSC00172.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
rixster

if you have a truck shop around they make cool little round led light that all you have to do is drill a hole put in grommet and shazam, sweet and clean. cheap too about 7 bucks a light and you dont have to worry about snagging them or burning out they lay flush. i use them on equipment underground and this stuff gets beat

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
if you have a truck shop around they make cool little round led light that all you have to do is drill a hole put in grommet and shazam, sweet and clean. cheap too about 7 bucks a light and you dont have to worry about snagging them or burning out they lay flush. i use them on equipment underground and this stuff gets beat

Good to know, there is a flying J 2 miles from my house. Iwill stop by there and see what they have.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Nice job !! I am no engineer ,but I would gusset the welds where the beavertail connects on the corners.It is amazing how much stress there is at those points when loading.I saw one break and we were fortunate there were no injurys.:face-icon-small-hapJust a suggestion.:wine:

R

rsoukup37

Nov 9, 2009
Southeast SD
are you using steel tubing. i am currently building one myself and am using steel because i dont have an aluminum welder and not going to buy one for one project. kind of went off of you plans but changed them as im only building for a single sled and not two. dont really need it considering if i have more than one sled im just going to hook to the big enclosed but just wanted something to use to make it a little easier to haul one sled. looks good tho

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
are you building this for a short box or long box?

also what size steel are you using for everything?

I am building it for a long bed. Going to start one for the short bed truck as soon as this one is finished.

I am using steel.
I am using 2x1x.065 2x2x.065 and some 3 inch angle for the ramp sides.
Good thought on the gusstes. I have wondered about that. I can stand on it and jump up and down without it moving much at all. But i am only 230lbs VS me and sled and snow pushing 800LBS at the day.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
that thing is slick.. I really like the way you brought the little lip around the outsides down at an angle onto the beaver tail, that looks nice and is gonna add big strength to the tail on that thing.

looks awsome..... keep up the good work

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
very nice looking deck! About how much steel did you have to buy? How did you endup coming out on weight?

I bought
5 pieces of 2x1
3 pieces of 2 by 2 I have about 10 feet left over
2 pieces of 1 by 1
1 piece of 2 inch angle
All were 24 foot pieces.

Not sure on the weight, but she is pretty heavy. I would guess between 300 and 400 lbs.
I need to buy a new welder so I can build one out of aluminum.

what is the weight on it?

looks good, I want to build one for my short box. Would you happen to have some designs for a short box build?

I am starting a short bed version some time this week. I will try to get some drawings for it up. Basically it is exactly the same except 1 foot shorter. the ramp will be 8 foot 6 and of course the front legs will be shorter.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Looks almost identical to the one i made. After having it and using it things i would change.
1) Not run Angle iron inside of the supports but rather run angleiron INSTEAD of the supports on the main deck.
2) Not so many crossmembers on main deck. Will make it lighter and really not needed. A 2place trailer has them like every 2ft or 2.5ft
3) Make beavertail shorter (sometimes the rear of the ski will fall through when unloading)
4) Make a tie down in middle of deck to be able to haul 1 sled.
5) Have sled deck tie downs on outside of bed and use tie downs made for Camper's. Sucks having to crawl inside to undo your deck.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Looks almost identical to the one i made. After having it and using it things i would change.
1) Not run Angle iron inside of the supports but rather run angleiron INSTEAD of the supports on the main deck.
2) Not so many crossmembers on main deck. Will make it lighter and really not needed. A 2place trailer has them like every 2ft or 2.5ft
3) Make beavertail shorter (sometimes the rear of the ski will fall through when unloading)
4) Make a tie down in middle of deck to be able to haul 1 sled.
5) Have sled deck tie downs on outside of bed and use tie downs made for Camper's. Sucks having to crawl inside to undo your deck.

Yeah, this one is now for sale. I learned a few things I am going to do different on the next one.
I am going to use 3 inch channel for the main supports instead of the 2x2 tubing. I did put a tie down in the center for one sled. And I think I will use some kind of tie down that goes into the holes on top of the bed rails for a tie down system.

Premium Features