• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Furnace/heater for enclosed trailer?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What are you guys using at high elevation for a heater? I'd like to be able to melt off the sleds in the trailer (24+V) in the cases where I can't park them inside after a day riding mad pow.

Propane would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

R
Mar 30, 2009
Rez in Montana
I use a 30lb bottle and a double Mr. Heater. Bought a bottle clamp at local propane supplier. Works real good, no problems. Make sure you got some heet on hand tho...creates lots of moisture in your tank if their not topped off.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Suck it up and spend the money on a good permanant install forced air/12v or inline 6V stacked battery furnace system like Suburban. There are some cool cabinet/furnace combo's being designed and installed now-a-days. The Nash Trailer system one is just about the sweetest but it's huge money. Any decent trailer accessory shop or trailer manufacturer can do it for you if you aren't handy. Here is a tip that 99% of the sled trailer guys are not thinking of...put the damn heat vent flow source as low in the trailer as you can! I know this will come as a shock to some of the designers but HEAT rises:D! Start your air flow low and it miraculously heats the entire area as opposed to just the top 1/3rd. Grrr! We usually take a big mr heater and knock the immediate chill off then run our forced air until things are dried/thawed out.

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
You can put a forced air propane furnace in pretty easy. Go to an rv dealership and get one made for a motorhome. They work way better than the little propane heaters cuz they blow the moisture out and keep the heat in. youll have to buy batteries too but its nice!

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Go with an RV furnace with exterior exhaust. We have a 35,000 BTU in our 26' and it works awesome. Runs on two 20# propane cylinders with an automatic switching valve. 12V from either the tow vehicle or the battery that we mounted in the helmet rack. Ran flexible ducting to put the heat down near the floor to melt off the skids.

And the best thing is NO EXHAUST FUMES. I get loopy enough at high elevation. Don't need carbon monoxide adding to it.

scmurs :beer;

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
go with a forced air furnace, like others have said. burning propane inside from a heater thats not vented will give off moisture, making the trailer even wetter inside.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Great info guys, keep it coming! I don't want something that takes up too much space if I have to install it permanently. I need as much room as possible for the race car program in the summer!

Rob, if you could reply to my email it would be much appreciated.

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
we use this 30000 btu attwood that draws outside air and is veeeery safe
furnace002.jpg

furnace003.jpg

furnace004.jpg

J
Apr 5, 2008
LEWISTON,ID
I put in a Pro-Com Blue flame 30,000 BTU mounted to about 10" off the floor with a 12-volt fan mounted above it to circulate the air. It diffinitely heats the trailer up quick and works excellent for drying riding gear out quick but you have to contend with the moisture from the propane. If you can find a deal on a furnace I would go that way. I hope to add a furnace to mine for next fall and run the Pro-Com to knock the chill of and start stuff melting then run the furnace. I also put a 110 electric bathroom heater in the back to plug in when I get home.

A

absoluteapex

Nov 26, 2007
Grande Prairie,ab.
propane heater

i installed a heater not using any power source,very low profile,it's in my 27ft. install was easy,quiet,intake and exhaust from outside,use it hunting at fall and sledding in winter,i find it warms the trailer evenly front to back,i like it.

100_0505.JPG 100_0506.JPG 100_0508.JPG 100_0509.JPG

D
Jan 5, 2008
I will post pics later...just finished a complete redeck and furnace install in Charmac. THE KEY TO DRYING THINGS OUT ESPECIALLY THE FLOOR IS AN ADDITIONAL FAN to really move the heat around. Otherwise you end up with Semi-thawed sleds and a ICEY Floor. Next project is Electric heat grid on floor...THERE IS A WAY.:face-icon-small-sho

COP-OUT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
LEWISTOWN,MONTANA
I hope those propane tanks aren't laying on their sides. The manager at the local LP shop told me that if you lay a regular propane tank on it's side what happens is the the liquid propane flows out of the tank and not the gas. which can make for a really serious problem. EXPLOSION. I went in to get my tank filled for my camper and he said he couldn't fill it for safety reason. I had to buy a tank that was designed to be laid on it side. Told me the way the tank vents the propane. I hope this helps

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
NEW INSTALL

I just got done installing a furnace in my trailer. WOW HEAT IS NICE!!!
I am using an Atwood 8940 ACLC (AC Model)
I plumbed it in with heater parts and plastic pipe from Lowes. I bought a 40,000 btu RV furnace off of Ebay. Didnt realize it was an AC Model until I had already bought it. I have a little 800 W generator that will run the heater and the lights at the same time. I also have a 1200 W inverter to run things for short periods of time as Right now I only have one Battery, more to come later.
I will post some pics tomorrow after I get my install mess cleaned up.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
from the Furnace/heater Sticky thread

here ya go

This is my toybox about an hour after I picked it up
IMAGE_109.jpg

OK so I got my furnace installed.
It is an Atwood 8940 ACLC (110 AC 40,000 BTU)

I bought the heater off of EBAY. (didn't realize it was an AC model until after I bought it.) I've got an inverter so I can run it off of the generator or battery power.

IMAG0010.jpg

I mounted it on some brackets inside mounted directly to the wall struts.

I just used a 2 1/2 hole saw and cut a hole through the sidewall. I used some prebent tubing to kick the exhaust sideways and vent it through the sidewall.

IMAG0011.jpg

I had to get some starter flanges from STATE TRAILERS (local rv parts store, its awesome ALMOST as good as goin to a sled store) to hook up to the furnace box. It was setup for a floor duct. I made a closeoff plate and ducted it out through the sides of the case in the holes already made there. Just had to remove the round close off plates. You can see the aluminum close off plate on the left side and the starter flanges here.

IMAG0015.jpg

I used some reducers (4" to 3") and some furnace duct 90* elbows I got at Lowes. Then I got some Plastic pipe (3") and hung it up with the white plastic carpenters strap. I used self tapping screws to hold all of the joints. (Not sure but have heard of the heat softening glue and having problems with the glued joints coming apart, so they are all screwed together)
I vented everything down to the floor and used 90* elbows to turn it and direct it across the floor. I also mounted my thermostat over by the door, that way I can reach in and turn it on without having to crawl over things to get to it. (Not too close don't want it to get a blast of cold air every time I open the door.)

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

I still have to make and mount some cabinets in the front. I plan on having a small tank that I can use for weekend sled trips and being able to drop the propane hose outside to be able to hookup to a big bottle for longer camping trips in the summer.
Its still a work in progress but WOW heat is nice. 40,000 BTUs will heat it up to 65* in a few minutes then it just cycles for a few minutes to keep things nice and toasty. I have a plug on the house I can keep the trailer plugged into but have a little 800W generator that will run the lights and heater. (already tried it out) I also have a bigger generator to run a fridge and everything else in the summer.

I'm open to suggestions on things if you can see where I need to improve something. So whada ya think guys?

Premium Features