• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow intrusion and rubber boots/steering all iced up.

K
Jan 28, 2011
Thunder Mountain Lodge
We have had killer snow here in Western Colorado lately and so I have had a reoccurring issue come up a lot lately. Snow intrusion into the bulkhead and then sometimes the ice builds up and restricts my steering, then the rubber boots get ripped and what not. Does anybody have a good solution for this? Any aftermarket boots? I have tried to repair the boots and put that zip tie back onto the plastic ring at least once, it didn't last long. Thunder Mountain Lodge...

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
We have had killer snow here in Western Colorado lately and so I have had a reoccurring issue come up a lot lately. Snow intrusion into the bulkhead and then sometimes the ice builds up and restricts my steering, then the rubber boots get ripped and what not. Does anybody have a good solution for this? Any aftermarket boots? I have tried to repair the boots and put that zip tie back onto the plastic ring at least once, it didn't last long. Thunder Mountain Lodge...

I've been fighting the same problem, and I have the MTNTK blow hole fan that blows hot air out from the clutch side of the sled, and it sucks snow in the torn boot, yesterday I really had it bad, I actually unhooked the fan and that made the steering restriction less notable/intrusive, but....

I do have a new boot on its way, it should be here tomorrow, hopefully its different material than the original.

My sled is a 2018. One of my buddies has the same issue on his 2018's as well.

ThePennySaved

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2017
AK
I have a 2019 and had the same issue on a really cold (-20F) weekend. Snow intrusion filled the boots and ripped one. The dealer replaced the boot under warranty and asked Skidoo how to prevent it but they never got an answer.

The 2019's already have the upgraded mesh screens in the front vents so I'm not sure what else we can do.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
I was sick of the zip ties coming off of my 17. I just let the rubber boots do what they want to do. Usually they are pushed way in, like an "innie" belly button. It probably isn't ideal, but I havnt had one tear. I don't ride on -20 degree days though either....

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
I was sick of the zip ties coming off of my 17. I just let the rubber boots do what they want to do. Usually they are pushed way in, like an "innie" belly button. It probably isn't ideal, but I havnt had one tear. I don't ride on -20 degree days though either....

Hmmm, maybe the no zip ties helps prevent the boots from tearing, it does leave the hole in the end of the boot open some to let some snow in, but the tie rod can slide more easily in the opening in the end of the boot compared to sliding in the plastic grommet.

I did replace my boot yesterday, pretty quick and painless, the boot cost $19.99

Premium Features