• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

B&M Fab Front Bumper with Ski-Doo Skid Plate - Install

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
I called the guys at B&M Fabrications to inquire about putting a skid plate on with their front bumper. They said that none of the skid plates were compatible out of the box, but the Ski-Doo full body skid plate would work with some modification. I decided to give it a shot.

There may be a better/cleaner way to do the mount, but this method seemed to produce a good result.

I dry-mounted the skid plate and made a mark where the front of the lower A-arms bolt into the bulkhead (where the bumper bolts into). I then made a paper template of the lower bumper bracket and placed it above the mark I made above:

picture.php

I then used silver sharpie to trace the template onto the skid plate:

picture.php

I used a Dremel large cut-off wheel and sander to remove the plastic from this area:

picture.php

A number of test-fits later, I ended up with a cut-out that would allow the bumper to be mounted without binding on the skid plate:

picture.php

I completed the final mount on the skid plate and bumper. In my case, the skid plate has to go over the bumper before mounting both simultaneously:

picture.php

picture.php

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
Nice work. Looks very professional, like it was designed that way.

I wonder if a guy could fab up a "shroud" that screwed into the bumper plate there and bridged the gap between the bumper and skid plate. I'm sure the pics don't fully convey the geometry though.

O
Feb 10, 2016
Montana
Nice to see this write up

Nice to see this write up on a B&M Fab Front Bumper and a Skidoo skid plate. I've had the combination, but lacked the nerve to cut into the skid plate. I'm curious if you get snow buildup in the skid plate with the cut out? That's been my fear as I live in Montana and ride in lite powder conditions most of the time, fingers crossed. Have you had much on snow time since the modification to rate it's performance?

Thanks for the input, I may have to get out the dremel tool and follow your lead.

D
Never mind. I got a couple of the pictures to load. Made a copy of the cutout hole from your pics and got the skid plate on with the B&M bumper! It wasn’t easy but it worked! Pray for snow now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I called the guys at B&M Fabrications to inquire about putting a skid plate on with their front bumper. They said that none of the skid plates were compatible out of the box, but the Ski-Doo full body skid plate would work with some modification. I decided to give it a shot.

There may be a better/cleaner way to do the mount, but this method seemed to produce a good result.

I dry-mounted the skid plate and made a mark where the front of the lower A-arms bolt into the bulkhead (where the bumper bolts into). I then made a paper template of the lower bumper bracket and placed it above the mark I made above:

picture.php

I then used silver sharpie to trace the template onto the skid plate:

picture.php

I used a Dremel large cut-off wheel and sander to remove the plastic from this area:

picture.php

A number of test-fits later, I ended up with a cut-out that would allow the bumper to be mounted without binding on the skid plate:

picture.php

I completed the final mount on the skid plate and bumper. In my case, the skid plate has to go over the bumper before mounting both simultaneously:

picture.php

picture.php

Thats pretty cool, glad to see you posted this, I just installed BMFab Exo front amd rear bumpers on my 22 Summit X 850, always wanted to run the moutain skid plate, Now Ill purchase one and install.

Great Info, Thanks for Sharing..

Do you have the Rear bumper also ? what did you do for the Accessory Snowflap ? My sled has the Short Tunnel and the Acces snow flap wont reach the BMfab rear bumper, I called them and they sent me a remount kit but it wont work, need to call them again so I done some modifications with a bunjie cord etc to mount it if needed.

Wildcard

Premium Features