• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting Unstuck

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
To the guys against using a shovel you obviously rely on your riding partners too much I have never needed someone to come pull me out and ride alone for the most part id rather spend 10 minutes on the shovel than need someone to save me if a guy or gal isn't capable of freeing there own sled than probably should stick to the trails I don't have a problem helping stuck riders and most of the time I don't know them but I'm not gonna sit there with my shovel in pack and thumb in ass waiting for help

That’s a heck of a run on sentence!

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Sometimes I use a Snobunjie, Sometimes I use a shovel, Sometimes I use some of the other tricks I have learned from meeting lots of people riding. Nothing cooler then riding with new people and seeing new ways to get unstuck.

And sometimes I just read these threads to see how worked up people get at what others do. LOL, Pure Snowest gold right here.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Not every stuck is the same -- so they often need a different approach depending on the situation. Not sure why that is so hard to see, a shovel snow bungee stomping feet and friends pulling on skis are all tools in the toolbox -- use them correct and it makes easy. If you are on your own you obviously have less tools so you need to use the ones you have "shovel" becomes a more reasonable option. Some guys are good on a shovel and some others are good at stomping some snow and give it a wiggle and some throttle and get out that way -- what is wrong with either one if both work to get unstuck. I wish we had enough snow here this Year to get stuck.

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
The other technique for getting unstuck our group uses all the time is the Leg Press. You lay on your back between the skis at the front of your sled put your feet on the front bumper or bellypan (depending on how vertical you are), then "leg press" your sled up a few inches. Then have a buddy kick in the snow down in front of the track till compact enough to hold sled up. If by yourself you can hold bumper up with one leg and compact snow with the other. Repeat until sled is quite vertical and about 25% of track is showing, then grab front bumper and pull sled down. This teeter-totters the sled and the tunnel pops right out of the trench that got you stuck. Wiggle sled side to side a few times and drive away! No shovel needed... We really like this technique as it saves your back and uses the biggest muscles of the body. Haven't lifted a rear bumper in years...

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I stomp AND shovel. It’s faster. And shoveling is good for you.

E61C9783-55BF-482B-9482-90B1F57B8B48.jpeg 72324E12-3ECB-4F53-B323-96056255C2B3.jpeg

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I just stay on the groom trail to save myself the embarrassment of my friends or internet people thinking I suck because I got stuck... :face-icon-small-dis

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Chadly says if he gets himself unstuck its not a stick. He will spend an hour hiding in the woods getting himself free so he can say he rode all day without getting stuck lol. He had some other weird rules/ideas about not calling a stuck but I was laughing so hard I didn’t hear the other ones. Maybe he will share with the group?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Chadly says if he gets himself unstuck its not a stick. He will spend an hour hiding in the woods getting himself free so he can say he rode all day without getting stuck lol. He had some other weird rules/ideas about not calling a stuck but I was laughing so hard I didn’t hear the other ones. Maybe he will share with the group?

I think you have me confused with 1500psi. The only person I know that gets stuck more then me is you Matte :face-icon-small-dis

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
Dude just posted a way of getting unstuck that might work for him. You want to dig, dig, you want to bungie go ahead, you want to roll it, im fine with it. Whatever works for you the best. Who really gives a shi_?

Getting so you cant post anything that might help somebody or give somebody some information about anything without it turning into a **** show on this forum anymore.

M
Mar 7, 2008

some of us might carry a "Snowjack - Takedown" in the bottom of the tunnel bag just for those solo stucks, that did not happen....

Premium Features