• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'16 vs. '17

J
Feb 25, 2015
MAINE
Poo will likely say no changes but history will prove differently. Same with all new chassis. 1st year sets the model. 2nd year is slightly refined and the 3rd year there is even less that needs to be addressed. If there aren't any big issues with the 16 that your interested in, go for it. My guess is that most of all the changes will be very small things that won't even be mentioned.

1st year sleds are always more of a gamble. Buying a newer repeated version is always improved upon even if it's only very small things.

Just my Opinion. :)

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Cant speak for everyone, i have about 450 mountain miles on my sled and its been flawless

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have two axys sleds in my rental fleet, one SKS 155 2.6 and one 163" 3". The season is now done. The SKS ended with about 3500 miles and the Pro 3" 2900 miles. As a rental I am going to see the issues quicker than most of the average riders. Here is what you can expect:
SKS: Needed the base tps reset to correct the poor idle issue in the first 500 miles. The mountain bar has broken two times, but Polaris warrantied both times. Otherwise the mountain bar is $185. They do not sell individually from the handle bars. The track was shot by the end of the season, needed replaced. Otherwise a great sled!
Pro 3":Did not need the TPS adjustment. Wire harness cracked above coil, put sled down for a few days. Dealer claims that there are many sleds out there with possibly brittle or poor wiring. Broken mountain bar (warrantied). Bumper tab broken, yet bumper in perfect condition ($155 repair). Coolant hose caught shortly before it sprung a leak. Broken Piston Skirt at 2700 miles. Spit track out the back of the sled on the trail, torn in half. This track has one paddle missing about 6" in front of tear. The tear otherwise is not near a broken paddle. Polaris will not warranty. $1500
In all, these new tracks are light weight and fragile, they need beefed up a bit. Bumper tabs are a joke. Mountain bars brittle ($185). I hope for the sake of Polaris the piston skirt was a fluke. Many sleds out there with broken wires.
Most of these issues could be easily fixed by Polaris if the choose to address the problems. I hope they do for 2017!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I have two axys sleds in my rental fleet, one SKS 155 2.6 and one 163" 3". The season is now done. The SKS ended with about 3500 miles and the Pro 3" 2900 miles. As a rental I am going to see the issues quicker than most of the average riders. Here is what you can expect:
SKS: Needed the base tps reset to correct the poor idle issue in the first 500 miles. The mountain bar has broken two times, but Polaris warrantied both times. Otherwise the mountain bar is $185. They do not sell individually from the handle bars. The track was shot by the end of the season, needed replaced. Otherwise a great sled!
Pro 3":Did not need the TPS adjustment. Wire harness cracked above coil, put sled down for a few days. Dealer claims that there are many sleds out there with possibly brittle or poor wiring. Broken mountain bar (warrantied). Bumper tab broken, yet bumper in perfect condition ($155 repair). Coolant hose caught shortly before it sprung a leak. Broken Piston Skirt at 2700 miles. Spit track out the back of the sled on the trail, torn in half. This track has one paddle missing about 6" in front of tear. The tear otherwise is not near a broken paddle. Polaris will not warranty. $1500
In all, these new tracks are light weight and fragile, they need beefed up a bit. Bumper tabs are a joke. Mountain bars brittle ($185). I hope for the sake of Polaris the piston skirt was a fluke. Many sleds out there with broken wires.
Most of these issues could be easily fixed by Polaris if the choose to address the problems. I hope they do for 2017!

Funny you posted this. Broke my mountain bar yesterday trying to set the track in on a side hill after a stuck. Hoping for warranty and headed in today.

My track is absolutely ripped to shreds. Feel like every ride I lose another paddle or two. Couple weeks ago I counted 10 ripped lugs and I know I'm missing more now. Really like the track but it may not like my throttle happiness. Thinking maybe an X3 would be more durable

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I rarely use the mountain bar. I think if i go to shorter bars i might get one without it. Also with it being a rental, who knows if the people cared about hitting crap under the snow. I planned on doing pistons after next season. Which should put me at about 12-1500 miles.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I rarely use the mountain bar. I think if i go to shorter bars i might get one without it. Also with it being a rental, who knows if the people cared about hitting crap under the snow. I planned on doing pistons after next season. Which should put me at about 12-1500 miles.

Yank the mountain bar off and be done!!! They just get in the way!!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Except when you're trying to roll your sled back over and need something to grab ahold of...or when, like me, you're trying to get leverage to get it set right before yardsaling it down the mountain side and its already pointed down hill.

Ha ha LOL on the yard sale!!

As far as rolling it over... You won't miss it! Once you take it off and it's gone after one ride, you won't even remember it. Plus it forces you to use the bars and quit grabbing the sissy bar!! ha ha

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Ha ha LOL on the yard sale!!

As far as rolling it over... You won't miss it! Once you take it off and it's gone after one ride, you won't even remember it. Plus it forces you to use the bars and quit grabbing the sissy bar!! ha ha

I literally never use it unless I'm stopped or trying to use it for manual leverage to get it unstuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
17s have a new ECU map that supposedly cures the cold low idle/dying issue and the reluctance to go into reverse under cold conditions. The nice thing us that your dealer can put the 17 map in your 16 ECU in a few minutes. I am doing that this week.

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I heard the 17 map is leaner than the 16 map until 7000 rpm.. I'm only guessing the new flash may be better for people over 9k elevation/warmer temps vs those who ride 6-8k elevation. I could see where richer a bottom end would give the sled more blast on the bottom at 6-8, but opposite: too rich/fueling for high elevation riders.. Just thinking..

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
A few that are in my shop did the flash ( there is a post on this) lost a bit on the bottom end- so refinements in 17 generally we find are good to a point
( Like painted A arms LOL)
Don't remember many brands off hand that ran better after a flash and the first year was better than previous- gotta make that first impression for the first year... and I think Polaris went all out on the 16 Axys

OK the 2008-800 Dragon doesn't count...:face-icon-small-dis ROTFLMAO!!!

S/C

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
You're right, and detuning with a flash reduces warranty claims, first year is always a guess for a production tune, and always seems to lean on the performance side of the scale.

05 RMK 900 - another 1st year wonder that quickly gained a rep it never shook (the rep was the only thing it couldn't shake). Those were the start of the dark days for poo faithful...

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I heard NO timing changes were made.. Just leaner fueling on the bottom.. Not sure about rave valve schedules etc .. Normally rave, fuel and timing affects the bottom end blast the most IMO. I hope they're not detuning. I'd like to know the facts, not what people are guessing, thinking, or feeling by seat of the pants . Actual side by side testing VS a test rabbit 16 stock sled without the 17 flash...would tell us more real word info.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
.....I'd like to know the facts, not what people are guessing, thinking, or feeling by seat of the pants . Actual side by side testing VS a test rabbit 16 stock sled without the 17 flash...would tell us more real word info.

Agreed....BUT, even then the test is flawed....mileage, production differences, etc can sway the results.

Having been involved in production based racing series, the amount of variation from one model, to the exact same model can be huge...

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Agreed.. Which is why we always keep one sled as a rabbit, normal maintenance, no changes to it. Seat of the pants feel has proved us wrong many many times with the rabbit sled:) We had a stock sled one year that outran a ton of modded sleds.. Lol

Regarding the 17 flash, we are lucky to have a wife's/kid 16 Axys identical sled that runs dead even with the one we're going to flash the 17 to.. I'm doing what I think is right, not all people are disciplined about testing. Was hoping to get more feedback here to share against as this topic will probably not go away with all the 16's sold this year.

Premium Features