• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best dedicated winter tire?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I just ordered a set of 245 75 17 E unstudded Hankook I-Pike winter tires from the local CO-OP. $900.00. I run a 265 70 17 in the summer but am a fan of narrower tires for snow. The tires are real close to the same height. I also have extra wheels so I can swap them at home. Now, if it will just snow????
I ran those same tires in a similar size for a couple winters and they worked great for me. I am lazy and got sick of swapping/storing extra sets of tires, so I just run BFG A/T's year round now. But the Hankook winter's in the narrower 245's were noticeably better in the snow. I never pulled huge trailers with them like the poster who said he hated them for whatever it's worth. Just a 2 place open + 1 sled in the truck. I think mine were just D rated.

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
At the risk of being labeled blasphemous in some circles ...

I am not impressed with Cooper tires. I've run several sets of them over the years, from A/T tires, to mud tires, and last winter a pair of studded dedicated winter tires ..... and the rubber compound they use is just flat out not as good as thing premium brands.

You get decent tread life out of them and they are a lot more affordable which is why they sell so well, but IMO the traction is not as good as it is with a Michelin or BFG of the same tire class ....

With that said .... I just priced out what I want my next set of tires to be for my new truck .. 305/65/17 BFG A/T's .... and they are $300 a tire.

I bet I can get something in Cooper or Nitto trim in that size at a lot less, but I'd trust those BFG tires with my life .... Same goes for the Duratracs, but I can't get them in that particular size.

IDK, I'm just not a huge fan of the Cooper tires on slick roads :(

BFG a/t are the worst bang for your buck tire you could get. They wear horrible and have horrible traction in the snow. My Michelin MTX have better traction in the snow.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
What about the nokian hakkapeliitta?

Anyone have experience with these? Supposed to be the latest and best in studded tire technology????

I had a set of Hakka 5, studded for 3 seasons of winter. They lost 1 stud total over those 3 seasons. They are the ONLY winter tire I'd buy again. They held up well, didn't cup at all, and provided great traction. They are well worth the money. Cheap tires are useless.

Jon

ps. Mine were on a car, but I use it like a truck or try to.

pps. The hakka 5's turned into 7's and then into 9's.. They evolve into a higher number every season it seems like.

Last edited:

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
What about the nokian hakkapeliitta?

IMHO the best specialized tire available.

Like the rest of you, I have tried various tires over the years and have had good and so-so experiences. One of the hardest to predict is the tire that starts out great and when 30% worn becomes a not so good tire (Dunlop Rover and BFG Commercial T/A).

After all is said and done my experience with the Goodyear DuraTrac is excellent in all respects. The tip to air up is correct as well.

Agreed that mud tires are no good for snow and skinny(er) tires are better for the subject we are discussing. For 8000 feet in CO on ice: Studs are the only solution. 3/4 of stud users do not need them due to less severe conditions.

Its all in the eyes of the beholder, as witnessed in a Canadian bar: Two beautiful girls are kissing and my buddy says, "I think I have it figured out! I am a lesbian too!"

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Ended up choosing the Duratrac's studded...
The salesman offered up that they will wear better on a non deisel truck as well, like observed by somebody above here. I didn't mention anything just listened to his pitch. He's said they are a perfect for steep pavement and that most folks around here were getting 35-40,000 miles on them running them year round, which I'm not going to do.

The slightly harder tire compound than some of the "real" winter tires is going to help me out with wearing them out quickly on the dry interstate. Always a compromise somewhere.
We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the excellent input and opinions everybody.

It's supposed to get wintery here Thursday!!! WOO HOO!!!

R
Mar 16, 2010
Figured I'd update - 43k on my studded Duratracs, a little over half gone. Most studs are worn out/carbide tips have vanished.

I just replaced them with Michelin LTX M/S for summer/towing use, will buy another set of Duratracs in the fall, with wheels, swap back and forth.

I absolutely love the Duratrac. They hurt MPG a bit, compared to the LTX, but we had a great snow year, I got out a lot, zero issues. They still work well in snow - they're not DONE, but they'd be done-enough to be not snow worthy by next season - so, I'll sell these for a couple hundred, save some fuel over the summer, etc.

+ a lot on Duratracs, for me. I _did_ find them squirmy for the first 100 miles. They started getting louder halfway through this season, but those are minor complaints - they worked flawlessly, still do. They're a great do-everything tire, aside from the mpg hit.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I will say this from a whole lot of personal experience, towing in winter, driving day in day out in the oilfield, etc:

Anyone who tells you to run a mud tire in the winter has no clue. Period.

Mud tires ***SUCK*** on slick roads, end of story. Yeah SOME of them you can stud, but why would you stud a mud tire when you can stud an actual winter tire and be that much better off?

Mud tires are totally useless for anything but mud, period.

Dogmeat, you recommend the Duratrac, isn't it a mud tire? Maybe not

I have ran the Michelin AT2's and they are awesome on ice. However, they glaze up in the parking lot and don't have enough bit pulling a trailer in deep snow.

The BFG AT is an awesome tire in the summer. I thought it was worthless in the winter. Seemed too hard and no bite on ice. However, this was on a Wrangler which has a short wheel base.

I'm still leaning on Toyo AT2's. I agree that I don't want the MT's. I think for me it is Toyo AT2's vs Nitto Terra Grapler. I've had the Nitto's and they were solid. Some better but they were priced right, lasted and did everything just fine.

Anybody with Toyo AT2 comments?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Blizzaks. Best winter tire ever. I run them on family SUV in winter. My 2 cent$.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Blizzaks. Best winter tire ever. I run them on family SUV in winter. My 2 cent$.

I don't think it's a good tire for the diesel guys. Too much torque for that soft of a tire. I can only afford tires for year round as well. But I agree, damn good tires in the ice.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I've got Toyo AT's on my work truck. Currently 34K on them and am not excited about running them out this winter without the trailer in tow.

I was coming through Portland this afternoon and it hasn't rained for months, well it rained today. Crossing one bridge we had stop and go traffic and I went to accelerate and wiped the tires for quite a ways before they would hook up.

They worked good when new, but the second half isn't awarding the traction I would like.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Volcano, are your Toyo's AT or AT2's? I'm not sure of the difference other than some sidewall grip on the 2's. But thought I would check.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Sorry about that. In my haste I left off the "2". I had the originals in about 2005 on my '03 Lariat and now the AT2's on my '12.

The AT'2's have a larger void in the tread blocks so they do give better off-road traction and fair enough in the snow/ice when new. Now that the black top is getting wet and the tires are wearing down I'm finding myself scooting a bit more than I would like just running empty. If I run them through the winter, I will be bolting my General Altimax snow tires on to keep the rubber on the road when towing.

My AT2's were about $1100 from Les Schwab and the 10 ply General Studded snow tires were barely over $800 from Sears, studded/mounted/balanced. I mounted them on some aluminum rims I picked up off CL for $100.

Last edited:
Premium Features