• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sat Phone Users

C

cableguy

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Country BC
it does work but very in and out I renewed this year cause it was quite cheap (only $20 a month for a year) and mostly because they are suppose to be launching another dozen birds this month so that should help with the spotty signals still better than spot i think my garmin tells me eveything else

N
Jan 4, 2010
Langley, B.C.
We used the Call Time Chart when we rode in Bralorne last year, not 100% but it was fairly accurate. We would just add 2-3 minutes to the start time before we would attempt a call.
K

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
If you haven't already bought a Global Star you might want to do a little research on Iridium. I have been using Iridium all over the northern US states as well as AB and BC and never found a place or time it didn't work. Very happy. EW

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
If you haven't already bought a Global Star you might want to do a little research on Iridium. I have been using Iridium all over the northern US states as well as AB and BC and never found a place or time it didn't work. Very happy. EW

Yep Iridium is the way to go - much better coverage than Global Star from what I have heard and my own experience.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I have had a Globalstar sat phone for the last four years....I gave up on downloading the chart and most times when I do go too use it there is service,if there isn't when I first turn it on usally by the time I have finished my lunch there is service again.
At the 35.00 a month with unlimited usage I always make phone calls to friends that missed coming out too ride so I can rub in how great conditions are.lol:canada:

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Got a few PM's on this one. Below is the service I use. Remind them that you, your wife, your cousin Vinny, etc. is a volunteer firefighter, policeman, or work for any Federal Agency and ask for the "GSA" plan at $36.15 a month. I bought the phone direct from Iridium as a recon with full warranty 5 years ago and have never had a problem with it. It has been thoroughly abused too with snowmobiling, hunting, ATV's, hot days in a black cruiser saddle bag, bad weather on the tug boats, etc. Tough phone for sure. Have a good one. EW

Satphone.jpg

Premium Features