• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trying to find a place to ride :( :(

T
May 17, 2010
Traveling to Colorado between Xmas and New Years. Want to know where i can stay and ride close together. We hate having to load the trailer up everyday and driving 30-45 minutes to the place we stay. We will be trailering our sleds out with us and we like as much off trail riding as allowed. We were thinking Buena Vista but i cannot find much about their riding conditions. Can someone help us out?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Grand Mesa definitely fits the bill although it's pretty secluded.

I'm not sure about Buena Vista.

Grand Mesa works great for that. They generally have good snow.

One other place I can think of off the top of my head to ride out is Vail Pass but stay in Red Cliff.

https://www.colorado.com/inn/green-bridge-inn

If you do that, I'd bring extra fuel. Closest fuel station is about 15 minutes away in Minturn.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You are going to have a 30-45 minute trailer ride out of BV just like most places. You can ride from lodging on the Mesa as mentioned or in Grand Lake, you can ride through town to the trail heads. If there is enough snow you can ride from your cabin in Silverton too but Christmas can be pretty early for ANY place in Colorado.

Colorado is set up differently than the Midwest. Riding is typically on public lands so there is no lodging. No ditch riding to get there either. Short trailer hauls are the norm to access back country areas from the places with lodging. Good Luck

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
We used to ride Yellowstone and Pinedale Christmas to New Years, but we haven't done so for over a decade now. Seems the snow just doesn't come as reliably as it used to...

In Colorado, Wolf Creek has snow already, and will probably keep building, but there's no place to stay and ride... Grand Lake is a possibility, but probably still iffy for snow. Check into Grand Mesa as suggested, I've not been there.

You might also consider staying in Ryan Park and hitting the Snowies instead. If the snow level gets down that low by Christmas, you can ride right from any of the places in Ryan Park. (Plus the hot springs in Saratoga is really nice...) On the East side, Snowy Mtn Lodge and Mtn Meadow offer riding right from your cabin.

Good Luck!!

Premium Features