• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Storm engine in CRC sled. Can it be done?

P
Oct 10, 2017
Hello all, I bought a 1995 storm for $600 and has 1700 miles on it. Great engine. But everything else is in rough shape. I thought it would be cool to put the engine in a 1998 rmk 600 wedge. I have this vision to get the hood painted white and have stock syle storm graphics custom made in red and blue. I think it would be a real head turner. Ok back to business. Has anyone done this swap successfully?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I did it for a couple full mod hillclimb sleds, but you / we didn't have to run a hood in those days (Pipe Clearance). From memory, the only real difference is the twins Bulkhead Mag side motor mount has to be moved over to fit the triple. Used a crucifier (carbide cordless skill saw blade on a 4 1/2" grinder, use the guard, I have a nice scar and severed a few tendons doing it without a guard) to cut the welds and re-welded it over about 2" to fit the bulkhead to the Storm's engine straps.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Hood fitment is the big issue. To get the motor in above the CRC you end up with the motor being higher in the chassis. That causes the wedge hoot to hit the spark plugs. I got around it by opening up the headlight area some. And the pipes fitting also causes some issues.

We did an XCR motor in to a 1999 Gen II RMK and that was worked well because the GenII hood sits higher.

sled_guy

Premium Features