• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A Few Stock 3” Track Questions

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.

I recently purchased a 2016 163 3”. I didn’t want a 3” but the deal was too good to pass. So here’s my questions.... I live in Oregon and most generally have to ride some trail to get to the good riding areas. How much am I gonna have to worry about over heating with scratchers down? Normally I would run 125 to 130 with scratchers on my old 155. Second question..... if I wanted to go to the 2.6” Track would I have to switch drivers?

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I recently purchased a 2016 163 3”. I didn’t want a 3” but the deal was too good to pass. So here’s my questions.... I live in Oregon and most generally have to ride some trail to get to the good riding areas. How much am I gonna have to worry about over heating with scratchers down? Normally I would run 125 to 130 with scratchers on my old 155. Second question..... if I wanted to go to the 2.6” Track would I have to switch drivers?
What was your old 155? 3" axys with scratchers are usually fine

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Flyn Or Dyn

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2009
Wisconsin
Track swap

To answer your question. Yes the 3" is a 3 pitch and the 2.6 is a 2.86. you can get a 2.5" camso in 3 pitch that way you don't have to change drivers. I have been using 3" 163 for 4 years and now a 174 3" and over heating with scratchers is not a problem on the axys

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The Axys, even with the 3" runs cooler down the trail then the pro ever did. With a 3" on my pro I would have to stop and pack snow on the tunnel.
The axys with the 3" also came with a solid, curved snow flap. Thats a big part of helping it run cooler. If thats been changed to something else, it can make it run warmer.

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.
I guess I should have mentioned my 155 was a pro. This is my first Axys. That’s good to hear that I should be fine with the scratchers. It does have the full snow flap with no cut outs. I was hearing stories it would get pretty hot and I would have to pull over a lot.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
My 155”x2.6” would overheat so much faster than my buddy’s 163”x3”. That snowflap in the rear I think helps a ton.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I guess I should have mentioned my 155 was a pro. This is my first Axys. That’s good to hear that I should be fine with the scratchers. It does have the full snow flap with no cut outs. I was hearing stories it would get pretty hot and I would have to pull over a lot.

My 162x3 cools 5x better than my pro ever did.

My stock flap tore off after 300 miles and i put the holey pro flap on it.
Still no cooling issues.

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
The lugs on the 3.0 track is pretty stiff for being a powder track. So its true what the others are saying about the cooling properties.

But then track performs pretty shiet when it comes to creating lift/floatation ontop of the snow. It gives tons of thrust and forward motion, but the balance between the two are way out.

There's some guy that shaved of some rubber of the thick parts of the center lugs of the 3" track and said it worked extremly well to bring back the floatation of the track. Thus getting them softer will make them push snow downwards instead of backwards.
Went with a 155/3" this year just out of curiosity to see if it works as good as said. :)

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
My 162x3 cools 5x better than my pro ever did.

My stock flap tore off after 300 miles and i put the holey pro flap on it.
Still no cooling issues.

First time i backed off the truck and ran up on that monstrosity of a stock flap on the 163 x 3", i replaced it with the Pro flap as well . . .no heating issues whatsoever.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

The lugs on the 3.0 track is pretty stiff for being a powder track. So its true what the others are saying about the cooling properties.

But then track performs pretty shiet when it comes to creating lift/floatation ontop of the snow. It gives tons of thrust and forward motion, but the balance between the two are way out.

There's some guy that shaved of some rubber of the thick parts of the center lugs of the 3" track and said it worked extremly well to bring back the floatation of the track. Thus getting them softer will make them push snow downwards instead of backwards.

Went with a 155/3" this year just out of curiosity to see if it works as good as said. :)

Yep.

I cut my track center lugs thinner.

They have a permanent set to them now after half a season.

ba881976e1bd8ccca3cf80010632017d.jpg

B
Mar 1, 2009
My axys with 3" gets way hotter than my pros did with 2.5 , run with several axys with 2.6 and my 3" is always overheating when snow is marginal.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I struggle keeping mine cool. Thinking about the mtntk cooler. Probably the think I like the least about the sled. Always have to have one eye on the temp.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Why does Polaris remove the front heat exchangers? How much weight is really being saved versus overheating issues?

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I stop at 160-170. Overheat light isn't on yet, but I start getting nervous. i always have the scratchers down on the trail. Usually I don't have to actually stop. I slow down, sit down, and drag my feet. Cools it off quick. I have had 2 pros and an Axys all with 3 inch tracks. All were the same regarding operating temp.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Okay that is normally the temp I stop at. That sucks it gets that high with scratches down. My pro rides at 125 to 130 with scratchers

If you didn’t have problems overheating with your pro you definitely won’t with an axys. The 2.6” and 3” Axys’s In our group all run cooler than the 5-7 pro’s.

Don’t change anything until you experience an issue yourself.
The internet is always full of fearmongering.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
My 17 axys with the factory 3" runs cooler than either my 11 pro or my 14 pro did on the trail. I still have my 14 pro and my son rides it, he will have to pull over once in a while when on hard pack where I never have on my axys. I would run it and see for yourself what it does.

Premium Features