• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yes Another Can Question......

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
You just dont get it. None of the manufacturers should be building these loud systems.All the loud systems do is piss off the people that dont want us riding in the first place. It doesnt matter if you ride in a populated area or ride trail systems. All it takes is one back country skier or hiker to hear you, and guess what? They have a much bigger voice then we do!

When was the last time you seen new riding areas opened up for Snowmobile use? Now, the flip side of that........ When was the last time you seen current riding areas reduced, or removed all together?

I think we all know the answer to those questions.

Enjoy your new "competition" series exhaust, and thanks for contributing to the problem.

Just because it's a problem where you ride doesn't mean it's a problem everywhere. Lots of places where there's no laws, greenies, tree huggers or general haters and loud sleds have no impact. If you want to resolve the issue IN YOUR AREA, start a petition for new laws, awareness, etc and be proactive. Some of you guys need to cool your jets on the whole can thing and pi$$ing on the manufacturers for building a product for which there is a strong demand is not cool. The onus is on the end-user to know his/her local regs and what they can and cannot do...it's not the responsibility of the manufacturers. Come on guys....open your narrow minds up a bit here.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Just because it's a problem where you ride doesn't mean it's a problem everywhere. Lots of places where there's no laws, greenies, tree huggers or general haters and loud sleds have no impact. If you want to resolve the issue IN YOUR AREA, start a petition for new laws, awareness, etc and be proactive. Some of you guys need to cool your jets on the whole can thing and pi$$ing on the manufacturers for building a product for which there is a strong demand is not cool. The onus is on the end-user to know his/her local regs and what they can and cannot do...it's not the responsibility of the manufacturers. Come on guys....open your narrow minds up a bit here.

Not sure where you live and ride, but noise is a major issue everywhere in the intermountain west. The reason I refuse to "cool my jets" on this issue is that we snowmobilers are LOSING our right to ride on public lands because of the concerted effort of the non-motorized lobby.

I will continue to be vocal about the STUPIDITY of loud cans because loud cans are directly, negatively impacting our ability to ride in the intermountain west. Most, not all, readers on this forum ride in the intermountain west. The name of this forum is SnoWest, not SnoPrivateLand, and if my "narrow mind" makes one reader think twice about buying a loud can then I will continue to be "narrow minded".

I disagree that the manufacturers bear no responsibilty. Where, on PUBLIC land, in the intermountain west, can you LEGALLY operate a snowmobile that is louder than the legal limit?

The attitude of "F__k the greenies" is EXACTLY why we have less land to ride then we did 5, 10, 20 years ago. Snowmobilers had better adapt to this new reality or we will have nowhere to ride.

As snowmobilers, we need to regulate ourselves.

So far, we are doing a p!ss poor job of it.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Well said!
It seems that as people get a little older and more mature, they start to understand the concept of "cause and effect".

With regards to our riding areas staying open . . .there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING POSITIVE about loud cans. . . PERIOD!!

This idea of "pseudo power" will eventually render us powerless . . . .mark my words! It is already happening!

Wake up people!!

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
So I know that muffler's don't make horsepower and loud exhaust is a huge issue where I ride, but I am looking to possibly make some more space under the hood to access my old ProRide goggle bag and chain adjuster.

Who makes the quietest can? Looking for as close to stock sound levels as I can get.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Quietest cans #1 diamond-s, next is slp or bmp full velocity can. The rest get very loud when the power valves open up.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
So I know that muffler's don't make horsepower and loud exhaust is a huge issue where I ride, but I am looking to possibly make some more space under the hood to access my old ProRide goggle bag and chain adjuster.

Who makes the quietest can? Looking for as close to stock sound levels as I can get.

Diamond S Ti Quiet

https://diamond-smfg.com/product/polaris-axys-ti-quiet/

"
Our lightweight silencer will pass the SAE J-2567 stationary sound test (stationary snowmobile noise emission may not exceed 88 decibels)"

J

jrk

Nov 26, 2007
You just dont get it. None of the manufacturers should be building these loud systems.All the loud systems do is piss off the people that dont want us riding in the first place. It doesnt matter if you ride in a populated area or ride trail systems. All it takes is one back country skier or hiker to hear you, and guess what? They have a much bigger voice then we do!

When was the last time you seen new riding areas opened up for Snowmobile use? Now, the flip side of that........ When was the last time you seen current riding areas reduced, or removed all together?

I think we all know the answer to those questions.

Enjoy your new "competition" series exhaust, and thanks for contributing to the problem.

No....I think I get it just fine....it’s you that is slightly misinformed.
You think that because you lost land in your area because of irresponsible rider with "loud" exhaust woke up Jo Blow farmer or rancher at 10 pm at night is the first cause?

Did you ever stop to think that some of the reason you guys are losing land is because of the irresponsible riders who drive where land is posted.....or open gates and leave them open when farmers and ranchers have livestock....or drive across farmers’ fields that still have crop out from the fall....or cut fence with fencing pliers or other tools because they got lost and quickest/easiest way for them to get back on track was to cut through some fence and make a bee line back to where they came from?

I am a land owner and have seen all of this. These are the majority of the causes. That’s when the land gets taken away.

I snowmobile responsibly which means I am careful and respectful when passing through towns and villages and other peoples private property – no complaints from anyone about my “competition” exhaust.

You can’t paint everyone’s riding areas and situations with the same brush!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
No....I think I get it just fine....it’s you that is slightly misinformed.
You think that because you lost land in your area because of irresponsible rider with "loud" exhaust woke up Jo Blow farmer or rancher at 10 pm at night is the first cause?

Did you ever stop to think that some of the reason you guys are losing land is because of the irresponsible riders who drive where land is posted.....or open gates and leave them open when farmers and ranchers have livestock....or drive across farmers’ fields that still have crop out from the fall....or cut fence with fencing pliers or other tools because they got lost and quickest/easiest way for them to get back on track was to cut through some fence and make a bee line back to where they came from?

I am a land owner and have seen all of this. These are the majority of the causes. That’s when the land gets taken away.

I snowmobile responsibly which means I am careful and respectful when passing through towns and villages and other peoples private property – no complaints from anyone about my “competition” exhaust.

You can’t paint everyone’s riding areas and situations with the same brush!

We are not even talking about the same thing! Your referring to trail use on private property, thats a very small local issue that clubs deal with all the time.
We are talking about loss of access to national forest land that keeps getting cut or threatened every year now. When we lose those areas they are gone for good. the number one weapon they use against snowmobiles is NOISE. The OEMs keep making sleds quieter and the aftermarket keeps making them louder. Pretty dumb.
"My" riding area is all of the west, I have ridden in 9 states and 3 provinces. I try to look out for everyone. If others did the same it would be a much better outcome.

J

jrk

Nov 26, 2007
These exhaust posts are "exhausting". Always end up a **** show.

Plain and simple.....run what you want. That's why there is a choices.

Everyone ride in different areas with different requirements.

I"m off this soapbox...

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
We are not even talking about the same thing! Your referring to trail use on private property, thats a very small local issue that clubs deal with all the time.
We are talking about loss of access to national forest land that keeps getting cut or threatened every year now. When we lose those areas they are gone for good. the number one weapon they use against snowmobiles is NOISE. The OEMs keep making sleds quieter and the aftermarket keeps making them louder. Pretty dumb.
"My" riding area is all of the west, I have ridden in 9 states and 3 provinces. I try to look out for everyone. If others did the same it would be a much better outcome.

Val and I are the same. We typically ride seven days a week-- not seven days per season-- from our property when the snow is good. If the snow is better somewhere else, we go there.

As snowmobilers, we need to police/educate ourselves.

Eric is right, the number one issue raised by the non-motorized groups at USFS meetings is noise. Their other arguments in favor of land closures have dimished and they now champion the idea of "quiet recreation". Loud cans play right in to the hands of the non-motorized groups.

How many of you that are fans of loud cans have attended a USFS meeting pertaining to closing lands off to snowmobiling?

I understand that some of you live in the midwest (bummer) but ride in the west. You can still be involved. You can still write comments during the comment periods with USFS. More importantly, you can READ the comments from the non-motorized groups. Pay attention to how many dicuss noise.

That is why I will fight against loud cans every chance I get.

That is why I will call out manufacturers and let them know how they are hurting our sport.

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.
DEAR LORD!!!!!!!

I posted this to ask about the sound of can, not to start the great sound debate and bitch about land closure.

As we all know at some point all land is gonna be shut down at some point. Gets worse every year. As someone with quads. Dirt bikes and snowmobiles it directly affects me as it does others. However no need to bitch about it on a forum about snowmobile performance.

SO ANYWAY..... my question was answered about the SLP can. So thank you! Let the topic die!

Unless someone has more information about a SSI can. Cuz I am curious about that one too :)

Lo

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
These exhaust posts are "exhausting". Always end up a **** show.

Plain and simple.....run what you want. That's why there is a choices.

Everyone ride in different areas with different requirements.

I"m off this soapbox...

"Run what you want, F__K the greenies" this mentality is exactly why we have less riding areas then before.

I envy you ( I really do), I can't get off the soapbox. If we all put our head in the sand we will lose ALL our riding areas.

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
DEAR LORD!!!!!!!

I posted this to ask about the sound of can, not to start the great sound debate and bitch about land closure.

As we all know at some point all land is gonna be shut down at some point. Gets worse every year. As someone with quads. Dirt bikes and snowmobiles it directly affects me as it does others. However no need to bitch about it on a forum about snowmobile performance.

SO ANYWAY..... my question was answered about the SLP can. So thank you! Let the topic die!

Unless someone has more information about a SSI can. Cuz I am curious about that one too :)

Lo

You are correct. You started this thread.

This thread demonstrates how loud can choices affect us all.

Hopefully you choose a can that doesn't help the non-motorized close more riding areas down.

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.
Murph, I don’t think most people disagree with you. I will say I appreciate that you are willing to fight the fight for sledding. But no point in bashing people with different ideas than you.

Let’s face it most people that own sleds especially a new Axys are people with jobs. That pay taxes and contribute to society. A fellow sled rider isn’t the enemy. The people that have no idea about motorsports and want to close everything are.

And let’s be honest most sled owners are stubborn f@&$ers and they aren’t gonna change your mind about what they want to spend their money on!

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
A fellow sled rider isn’t the enemy. The people that have no idea about motorsports and want to close everything are.

A fellow sled rider that makes poor decisions-- loud cans, riding in closed areas, etc, ---is helping the enemy. He is giving the enemy the ammunition they need to make land closure arguments in USFS meetings.

Believe me. I truly hate talking about this stuff.

I HATE GOING TO USFS MEETINGS.

The sooner more "stubborn f@&$ers" start thinking about how their choices affect us all, the better off we will be.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I just put on a stainless steel Redline can, and will see how this thing sounds. Going the sell the GGB, a bit too loud for this guy.

IMG_4434.JPG

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
304S stainless with full stainless resonator with stainless wool packing

Lol, ya I know its not going to be a quiet can. If that was the case, that 20 lbs of steel would be back on it. And the SLP's have never held up for myself (fatigued)
Always the ageless drama with loud or quiet cans, which I don't argue one bit, (ya they are loud when someone blasts past you on the hill or pulling a buddies skis) but it will never go away.
A stock exhaust will still piss certain people off as well, dictated by the old right thumb or finger (and the area's where you are ripping by or through)
No different than vehicles / bikes on the road today, lots of aftermarket loud exhausts there too, and always on the gas day/night in very populated area's.
I find the older I get, the louder everything seems lol.
Very sensitive times ahead indeed.

Last edited:
Premium Features