• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Searching for more bottom

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
I have 15 155" BD racegas turbo, av @ 10lbs, 19/42t, green pink, I'd have to double check weights and primary but it is a dog on the bottom end IMO.

Is that just the nature of the beast with a turbo? This is my first turbo. My last pro was snappy, stock with can, 19/45t, green pink, 58g. My Iqr800 crank shop built mod blows the doors off it out of the hole and for first 25yards or so.

I'm thinking going to a 44t or 46t on bottom.

Should I be looking into grabbing some different helix also?

The riding I like is all about short burst of wfo, very rare to be wfo for more then 3-4 seconds unless it's super deep.

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
I don't have a turbo and I'm pretty sure the reason you are describing is why. Turbos don't have the same bottom end, they have lag, and that is a big drawback in my opinion of why more people don't go get a turbo. I don't want turbo lag in the trees like I ride. I Realize people say the lag is non existent but Ive had first hand report experiences as well as reports from buddies

I wish you well in finding a better setup to reduce the lag

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
You should have better then stock bottom end. I do. Zero lag, I will argue it all day long with Toads buddys.

Find the first TRS Turbo clutching thread. Put in Tony's set up. If you can't find Lightning weights. Call Indy Specialties and have Jon sell you their turbo set up. It's the next best thing.

Next you say race gas set up. Give me more detail. What are you running for fuel mix? Turbo? Ect...

Also you may want to consider a reflash of your BD box and possibly your ecu depending on what you want to spend.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
You should have better then stock bottom end. I do. Zero lag, I will argue it all day long with Toads buddys.

Find the first TRS Turbo clutching thread. Put in Tony's set up. If you can't find Lightning weights. Call Indy Specialties and have Jon sell you their turbo set up. It's the next best thing.

Next you say race gas set up. Give me more detail. What are you running for fuel mix? Turbo? Ect...

Also you may want to consider a reflash of your BD box and possibly your ecu depending on what you want to spend.

I agree completely. I read about lag and wonder what the he!! people are talking about. My sled, sleds I've tuned, worked on, and ridden, etc. you wouldn't know they had a turbo on them until they build boost.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon

I've read some of it and from what I remember he uses tall gearing that would never work where I like to ride so I wrote off the clutching.

15' pro is vohk built boondocker, aux injectors, timing key, I forget the turbo would have to look, straight av, trying to think what else..

I'm going to be putting a new crank and cases(snapped the primary off) in it next week so I'd figured I'd make some changes while I'm at it.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Tall gearing? Where do you ride? What do you want to run for final ratio? What elevation you ride?

How many lbs of boost? What fuel mixture is the fuel controller set up for??

Last edited:

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
I have 15 155" BD racegas turbo, av @ 10lbs, 19/42t, green pink, I'd have to double check weights and primary but it is a dog on the bottom end IMO.

Is that just the nature of the beast with a turbo? This is my first turbo. My last pro was snappy, stock with can, 19/45t, green pink, 58g. My Iqr800 crank shop built mod blows the doors off it out of the hole and for first 25yards or so.

I'm thinking going to a 44t or 46t on bottom.

Should I be looking into grabbing some different helix also?

The riding I like is all about short burst of wfo, very rare to be wfo for more then 3-4 seconds unless it's super deep.

So it looks like you are running 100% av gas which hurts your bottom end. If you want quicker response turn the boost down so you can run mostly premium gas and lighter weights and your bottom end will get much better. I would try that before gearing down because turbos like taller gearing imo. I also turned my boost up to 10psi for a while which is fun for the occasional​ open hill but I ended up turning it back down to 7 because I hated the sluggish feeling of heavier weights and added octane.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
More boost+ more weight= more time to build RPM.

You want more boost? Well its going take more weight to keep rpms down. Sluggish, lazy throttle response is what you will have. With more power and lower final drive ratio you wont be in the torque curve very long. You will run out of gear cause the motor is maxed out. You used up all the power already. 0.02

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I run 100% Av, no issues here.

I'm going to guess you're running the stock 8 tooth drivers with those 19/42 gears?

Yeah, you need to throw a 45 or 46 tooth sprocket at that thing.

What helix and spring are you running now.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Have you checked your reeds? I've had BD turbo's since 2013 and all of them have been set at 12 lbs and I can assure you that when setup correctly, there isn't any lag. I haven't ever had a reed go bad in any of my Pro's or Axys, but broken reeds were common on my Cat's and the bottom end would fall on it's face.

I'd give Vohk or BD a call and have them help you with your settings. Check the reed's too. The 2013 - 2015 BD race turbo's were dialed! That sled should be riding wheelies everywhere you want.

Good luck

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
A supercharger set up is the answer for bottom end and still have stupid power at the top end. IMHO

The cat supercherger set-ups are boosting at something like 3 lbs berfore engagement. Plus its a liner power band, so clutching should be much less dynamic than with a turbo. I know some will say that a supercharger takes power away, and that is correct. However when your talking this much power I dont think the top end will be an issue at all.

PS. Ive been running turbos for 7 seasons now, and love them. I just think that superchargers are the answer. Just hope we see one for the axys soon?

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
A supercharger set up is the answer for bottom end and still have stupid power at the top end. IMHO

The cat supercherger set-ups are boosting at something like 3 lbs berfore engagement. Plus its a liner power band, so clutching should be much less dynamic than with a turbo. I know some will say that a supercharger takes power away, and that is correct. However when your talking this much power I dont think the top end will be an issue at all.

PS. Ive been running turbos for 7 seasons now, and love them. I just think that superchargers are the answer. Just hope we see one for the axys soon?

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
I run 100% Av, no issues here.

I'm going to guess you're running the stock 8 tooth drivers with those 19/42 gears?

Yeah, you need to throw a 45 or 46 tooth sprocket at that thing.

What helix and spring are you running now.

I run 10lbs, normally 6-8k, with 19-42 gearing. I had 19-45 on my old n/a pro and it worked great. I ride trees.

I'd have to look and see what helix I have in, too many machines too remember.

Last edited:
M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Have you checked your reeds? I've had BD turbo's since 2013 and all of them have been set at 12 lbs and I can assure you that when setup correctly, there isn't any lag. I haven't ever had a reed go bad in any of my Pro's or Axys, but broken reeds were common on my Cat's and the bottom end would fall on it's face.

I'd give Vohk or BD a call and have them help you with your settings. Check the reed's too. The 2013 - 2015 BD race turbo's were dialed! That sled should be riding wheelies everywhere you want.

Good luck

Reeds were replaced 400 miles ago when i did a top end, the ones I took out looked good.

S
Mar 29, 2016
Auburn CA.
I'm new and inexperienced as others. But could you do a heavier spring with lighter weights? Keeping the higher boost but changing how/when the clutch engages? I run 7lbs and 70g weights. Stock clutches other wise. (I know it's probably not wise but 1 full season with no issues) and I don't have really any noticeable lag. Tree Ridding at 6-9000ft. 15 pro 163.

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
Zero lag on turbo? Ok if you say so, not one video is ever posted showing a turbos true lag. On/off throttle or in and out of boost is not the same as turbo lag. Let's see from a dead stop at idle to full throttle to determine lag. Some kits are better than others but to place a restriction in the system at idle vs no restriction and claim it's better than the no restriction doesn't make sense �� Not to mention your incoming air has to travel farther to get to the motor with less volume for a reserve.

Last edited:

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Zero lag on turbo? Ok if you say so, not one video is ever posted showing a turbos true lag. On/off throttle or in and out of boost is not the same as turbo lag. Let's see from a dead stop at idle to full throttle to determine lag. Some kits are better than others but to place a restriction in the system at idle vs no restriction and claim it's better than the no restriction doesn't make sense �� Not to mention your incoming air has to travel farther to get to the motor with less volume for a reserve.

Tested this two last month actually. 3 sleds, all 3 axys 155".
1 Stock
1 Clutched with local A2DSledworks clutching
1 Silber Turbo with Indy Specialty clutching & running 5# of boost

I was expecting the middle guy with A2D's clutching to eat us alive but that wasn't the case. Out of a dig Turbo walked both of them. Tried this multiple times. Similar weight of riders too. We tried again and it was the same. Maybe with higher boost setups there is more lag but at 5# that's not the case. Also only running 77grams and with those T3 weights it just flat pulls your shoulder sockets apart.

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
I'm not saying there are not ways to combat lag. Like I said certain kits are better than others and a lot of variables come into play. However if a turbo had zero lag wouldn't we be able to clutch them with a stock primary spring? So to the OP you have to make sure you don't have a broken or sacked out primary spring, belt deflection, bad motor mounts, exhaust leak, boost leak, broken reed pedals, dirty primary clutch causing sticking, ect ect. You would be surprised what a hairline crack in the pipe under the heat shield would do. Lots and lots of variables that need to be confirmed before we can decide if that is true nature of the beast turbo lag. In my opinion Boondocker does have a little worse lag than a few others but we won't get into kit designs or a this kit is better than that kit. People say turbos are pull and go but they do require more maintenance to keep them running properly.

Premium Features