• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris changes programming software on all EFI sleds

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Well Polaris sent out a Digital Wrench update and according to 3 different dealers the new update will not allow for re-programming of an ECU to a different sled model. I knew they were doing this on the 11s and newer, but they have apparently changed it on the 07-10s now too.

So if you have an 08 800 like we do, with a fried ECU, you have to either find an 08 800 ECU good used or pay the $576 for the new one.

I don't know if they choose to do these sorts of things to screw owners that are trying to get life out of their older sleds or if they just are clueless to the affects on the owners.

Frustrating...

sled_guy

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I also heard this from Carls and from Kurts, was looking to get a backup ECU and found one for a 700 CFI-4 that would have worked. I was informed it will not now work. The program checks the VIN which apparently is implanted into the ECU and if it is not for the same model you have it will not flash the ECU... there was even some doubt as to whether the injector color could be changed but it sounded like that still could... this is all for an 08 800 / 860.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I was told it was so that people could not flash a sled over to the wrong engine model accidentally... obviously they added this VIN checking functionality intentionally and spent effort / money doing it, they must have had a goal in mind. Can only speculate what it was - EPA, $$$, clamping down on dealers options (Kurts used to be able to flash Dragons for an SLP pipe setup and save you money on the fuel controller, don't know if they still can).

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
How great of a polaris to do. Such a good company to their customers.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I wonder if the dealer has the option to upgrade the software or if it is forced upon them as part of their license to use it. Sounds pretty shady on Polaris' part if this is mandatory. I can't imagine they were "losing" a whole bunch of money in the big picture over flashing ECUs because of their crappy designs in the first place. Good will towards customers means repeat sales in case Polaris hasn't figured it out yet.

Premium Features