• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

G4 AND PROTECTION... WHAT TO DO? WHO HAS WHAT?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Who at this point (links appreciated) makes bracing for the g4 that is currently available?

Who makes the most sturdy front bumper (currently available)?

Who makes the most sturdy rear bumper (currently available)?

Who makes the best skid plate? (currently available)?

Last edited:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I believe grip and rip is releasing their brace kit.

Talked with Zbroz the other day, sounded like they were going to get into a brace kit soon.

All I've heard... for bracing.

B&m fab has bumpers ready I think.
Of coarse Skidoo has some heavy duty bumpers as well( way over priced).

RPM composites was very close to competition of their skid plate as of 2-3 weeks ago. They had the rear portion done and were forming the front half.
Their skid plate will cover the chain case and brake protrusions.

Last edited:

Motodrew

Lifetime Membership
B&M Fabrications has the strongest rear bumper in my opinion!

x4z87Wpl.jpg

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
The OEM Doo front bumper is beefy...it almost has more cast material than the bulkhead..pun intended....kidding aside, the HD Doo bumper weighs a bit over 7 lbs, but it's a 5 piece kit and ties in really well IMO.

I'll try to remember who had it, but someone had a pretty nice looking rear bumper with a grab handle that wrapped all the way around. Pretty good idea when you are trying to lift the rear end out of a hole.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
ive been waiting for the HD doo bumper for a month. dealer says its on back order. i had a B&M fab bumper on my xm, and it was awesome. id buy another one for my G4 right now, but they do not have any FRONT bumpers available yet

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
ive been waiting for the HD doo bumper for a month. dealer says its on back order. i had a B&M fab bumper on my xm, and it was awesome. id buy another one for my G4 right now, but they do not have any FRONT bumpers available yet

Wait for the HD Doo bumper
It tie's together the front bulkhead nicely.
Does not mount to the stock 1 bolt tab.
Have to drill a couple new holes in a beefy part of the bulkhead, then ties to the front lower control arm bolts!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
That looks way nicer than the doo one. I bought a sled with it on there and I'm just about to take it off and throw it in the trash. It is just a huge snow holder. When you look at my wife's , there is no snow. Mine is full clear into the a arms and shocks.

Last edited:

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have no experience using carbon fiber for a skidplate, but at $650.... ouch.

I've got carbon fiber parts on my race car, I can't imagine how they would hold up to rocks, trees etc.

Has anyone used a carbon fiber skid plate? How does it look after some abuse?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I have no experience using carbon fiber for a skidplate, but at $650.... ouch.

I've got carbon fiber parts on my race car, I can't imagine how they would hold up to rocks, trees etc.

Has anyone used a carbon fiber skid plate? How does it look after some abuse?

Been running one on every sled I've owned since 09. I've smoked a lot of stumps and rocks. Most of the time you can't even tell it took a hit, once in a while there'll be a scratch. Very tough, best money I've spent on sled protection.

Before using his stuff I was tearing off front heat exchangers, never tire one off again due to the overlap design.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
I expect mine (RPM Composite) to be shipped early next week, this will be my third sled with his skid and as far as I can tell the protection is second to none. I will remove my Skidoo skid plate which is plastic and doesn't cover much as soon as the new one arrives. Much thicker and no flex so if you do take a hit its spread over a larger area. It will provide a bit more protection to the S Module from a direct hit from underneath but not through any hit that comes through the A arms. It is more costly, especially if you buy and ship to Canada but the way I see it I wouldn't expect to see any damage to the rolled chain case, engine module or brake area. I believe that this skid plate will be removable without drilling out rivets but will confirm that once I receive it. My name was on the list last March when the G4 was announced. Hopes this helps those that are interested in buying one.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
So.... for the new season...

Setting up some sleds for friends.

Who at this point (links appreciated) makes bracing for the g4 that is currently available?

Who makes the most sturdy front bumper (currently available)?

Who makes the most sturdy rear bumper (currently available)?

Who makes the best skid plate? (currently available)?

What are your reasons for recommending?

Last edited:
Premium Features