• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 pro Headlight will not work and im out of ideas.

F
Oct 21, 2017
Okay here is what i have figured out so far.
1. My head light works fine. I tested my hood on my buddys 2015 rmk and works perfect.
2. My voltage regulator works as it should. I swapped it with the 2015 pro and it works just fine.
3. I had one hand warmer with broken wires. So i replaced both with new ones and my headlight still doesnt work.
4 guage works fine. Displays temp, and rpm like it should.

Can someone please point me in a direction to go or something else to try. Have access to 2015 pro to try parts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks tyler

RMK8hundred

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
twin cities
Okay here is what i have figured out so far.

1. My head light works fine. I tested my hood on my buddys 2015 rmk and works perfect.

2. My voltage regulator works as it should. I swapped it with the 2015 pro and it works just fine.

3. I had one hand warmer with broken wires. So i replaced both with new ones and my headlight still doesnt work.

4 guage works fine. Displays temp, and rpm like it should.

Can someone please point me in a direction to go or something else to try. Have access to 2015 pro to try parts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks tyler

I had a similar problem and all it was was the plug connected to the hi low switch was almost all the way off. A little di electric grease and a new zip tie and everything worked perfect again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

assaulted-one

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2013
ND
check your wires for your hand warmers. mine were grounding on the handle bars and it would kill the headlight.

F
Oct 21, 2017
Findings...

So i tested the 2015 hood on my 13. No luck headlight did not work. I also took the headlight switch out and tested it. The switch is good. Put new grease on it and reinstalled it and still nothing. and i have new handlebar warmers so all the wires are good their. Any other ideas??

F
Oct 21, 2017
I will test them tonight after work to be positive and let you know my findings. I did get the new ones with factory connectors so i would have to mess atround with splicing.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
High beam AND low beam both not working??

Have you got a meter to test out the wiring? Unplug the main harness to the hood and test the brown wire in position 8 of the plug(chassis side) to make certain it's got a good ground. I suspect you lost ground on that wire.

If ground is good, check that you're getting power(engine running) to the high and low beam wires(Yellow/Red, position 1 and dark green/yellow, position 9, respectively)

headlight_diagram.jpg

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
Last time mine did this it was the wiring around the high low rocker switch.

F
Oct 21, 2017
Okay tuneman i did what you said and I tested the brown wire for continuity with the chassis. It rings out good. I also tested voltage on the position 1 and got like .250 volts. On position 9 i got .220 volts. Also postion 1 rings out on a continuity check with chassis bolt ground.

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
The plastic piece that clips into the switch was loose. It looked fine but once I touched it well it fell off. Poor contact. Took me a full day of riding until I figured it out. I bet it’s loose or the switch is bad. Don’t think there is any fuse.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
With less than 1/4 Volt you need to back track it further and find the loose / or corroded connection. It should read 12 + volts on both those pins. As TDR stated the switch connector or other connector problem is the most likely.

Also the Ground pin (#8) to Ground bolt may read good for continuity, but does it actually get to the chassis / bulkhead and the half dozen other ground wires that are on that bolt? Due to Polaris' choice to outsource the electrical harness to Honeywell of China the quality of the connectors / wiring is suspect, and has been known to loose continuity in the ground lug stack. Which can cause this and many other frustrating issues.

It's possible the VR failed but typically when they fail they go to an unregulated state which is high voltage not low / no voltage.

F
Oct 21, 2017
I don't think it's the voltage regulator because I swapped the one-off the 2015 with mine and the 2015 ran fine and everything worked as it should.
When I tested the 2015 I did see that I had 12 plus volts on each pin.

I know the rocker switch is good for sure. Should I be checking voltage at the switch also? And is there any specific ground bolt where the wires are connected to the chassis? I have looked and looked and looked and could not find any? Thanks for all the help so far I hope we get this soon

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
Everything passes through that switch so definitely check the voltage there. The main ground is located on the left side where the bumper attaches. There will be a stack of brown wires.

F
Oct 21, 2017
My meter was in auto mode.and i tested power at the switch and i have nothing. There is continuity between the yellow wire on the switch and the ground Bolt with all the Browns underneath it. So if I'm understanding this right it is grounding out somewhere?

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Correct me if I am wrong here, but , if you are measuring at the yellow wire, that is AC as on the Pro, the headlight and bar heaters and thumb heater all run on AC power so you need to make sure your multi meter is actually measuring AC voltage. I would still check to see if the heaters are grounding out or are shorted! Suggestion here would be to unhook the heaters where they plug in and see if the light works then and go from there.
gtwitch in wyoming

F
Oct 21, 2017
I will double check the hand heater in a little while. I will unplug them and test again. Really hate electrical issues on vehicles.:doh::doh::doh:

Premium Features