• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Changing color of skid Plate

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
I want to change the color of the white skid plate to black to better match the new bumpers and boards. I have the sled in the picture below.

Arctic Fx was unable to help me. Wondering if anyone had some suggestions without having to buy a new one?

I think a new one is around $150 and would like to avoid that.

800-pro-rmk-163

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Best advice.................change the skid plate to the color you want. I wouldn't even try to "change" the color as I don't think anything would hold up.

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
Best advice.................change the skid plate to the color you want. I wouldn't even try to "change" the color as I don't think anything would hold up.

That is the best advise by far but it is possible to paint the plastic. I changed my old red skid plate to white a few years ago. Surface prep and using a adhesion promoter and then a quality plastic spray paint are key to getting a decent job.

Even then any good hits to the slid plate will cause the paint to scratch off.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Havent tried it but have heard Rit DYE can be used to color plastics. Especially going from white to black it would probably be pretty easy. I saw guys doing it on dirt bike gas tanks and things.

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
Havent tried it but have heard Rit DYE can be used to color plastics. Especially going from white to black it would probably be pretty easy. I saw guys doing it on dirt bike gas tanks and things.

Thank you this is a great idea

I will have to find something big enough for the skid plate to fit in then boil the water so i can dip it in there. Any suggestions for what you have seen done?

Premium Features