• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How important is HEAT from your headlamp?

T
May 7, 2017
That's why I don't like LEDs don't melt snow off trailer lights so the guy behind you can see them . Semi trucks r the worst for it.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
That's why I don't like LEDs don't melt snow off trailer lights so the guy behind you can see them . Semi trucks r the worst for it.

All my trailer lights are leds. No issues with visibility.

T
May 7, 2017
All my trailer lights are leds. No issues with visibility.
Sorry should of clarifed little better. When it snowing all day and a truck is driving down road the snow tends to collect on the backs of the trailer and the lights will cover with snow and will not melt off like the old lights ,LEDs make no heat to melt the snow off. It can be dangerous if someone is following g to close.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Sorry should of clarifed little better. When it snowing all day and a truck is driving down road the snow tends to collect on the backs of the trailer and the lights will cover with snow and will not melt off like the old lights ,LEDs make no heat to melt the snow off. It can be dangerous if someone is following g to close.

I guess I never really noticed how much heat was given off by my non-led lights. I will have to touch the ones on my truck and see if there is any heat given off.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Ok, I can get that. Just not sure how a "block" of ice can form specifically over the headlight area with LED's as oppose to forming anywhere else on he hood?

At the right temperature it is warm enough to melt if sitting and idling.
Flowing snow sticks and freezes into ice.

yosh30

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2009
Ordered some led lights on ebay. 25 bucks, Why not! The part#H13, fit like a glove. They are so much more bright! Completely worth it, will post back if I have icing issues

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
Ran last seasson with led and no issues with icing or snow sticking to the lamp. Way better light also. Went with the copper cooling ones. (No fan)

Premium Features