• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m8000 altimiter adjustment affects fueling?

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
I was told that if you adjust your altimeter in your guage to what ever it directly relates to the fueling it provides the engine? eg if your at 2000ft and you adjust your altimeter to stay on 3000 ft but your actually at 2000ft it will run a bit leaner to think it is actually at 3000ft.. this was a statement fromt the race dept. I am told.. just wondering if im the only onethat has heard this.. I personally don't know if I believe in this because the engine will read altitude from the map sensor and don't really see how the guage numbers can relate to the ecm performance directly, it in my opinion would read directly from the map itself.. anyone??

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I was told that if you adjust your altimeter in your guage to what ever it directly relates to the fueling it provides the engine? eg if your at 2000ft and you adjust your altimeter to stay on 3000 ft but your actually at 2000ft it will run a bit leaner to think it is actually at 3000ft.. this was a statement fromt the race dept. I am told.. just wondering if im the only onethat has heard this.. I personally don't know if I believe in this because the engine will read altitude from the map sensor and don't really see how the guage numbers can relate to the ecm performance directly, it in my opinion would read directly from the map itself.. anyone??

Lol.

It won't. The communication from the ECU to the gauge is one way.

On the Suzuki powered sleds there is simply not a way for gauge to transmit anything back to the ECU.

On the newer CTEC stuff the only thing the tells the ECU is the pin that was entered during PDI, and even then the ECU ignores the data once it receives a valid pin.

I know this because I've reverse engineered all of the communication on both the Suzuki and CTEC sleds.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
Lol.

On the Suzuki powered sleds there is simply not a way for gauge to transmit anything back to the ECU.

On the newer CTEC stuff the only thing the tells the ECU is the pin that was entered during PDI, and even then the ECU ignores the data once it receives a valid pin.

I know this because I've reverse engineered all of the communication on both the Suzuki and CTEC sleds.

this was brought to the dealers attention via the arctic cat race dept. this is the truth told by them..

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
this was brought to the dealers attention via the arctic cat race dept. this is the truth told by them..

It's simply not possible from a physical standpoint. Unless the gauge uses some magical wireless link to the ECU to transmit what the user set the altitude to, the ECU is oblivious. And it doesn't have a magical wireless link since I also had to reverse engineer the schematics for the gauge when I wrote the aftermarket reflash software for the deluxe gauge for the Suzuki.

And like I said, there is simply no traffic from the gauge related to barometric pressure on the CTECs.

Plus think about this from an warranty standpoint. Why would you let the end user mess with the fuel curve?

Last edited:
L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
Lol.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
When I got my sled it wasn't calibrated and read 29000 ft at 6k. My engine would have blown. Someone is feeding you a load of shlt. Listen to people here.

Premium Features