• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Noob Questions On AXYS

V
Nov 29, 2016
Hey Guys,

Looking at getting a sled, and while I wanted to last year the timing wasnt right do to a new home purchase.

With that said my plan was to pick up a RMK-Pro 800 155. I would prefer to buy pre-owned to save some money but from what I have seen it seems like a lot of people are selling their older sleds to get into the AXYS Chassis. With that said I have a couple of questions.

1) I thought the AXYS Chassis just that a Chassis, is it not? As I saw something mention that AXYS was its own model, however when I look currently on the Polaris website I don't see a AXYS model.

2) 2016 was the first year of the AXYS chassis on the RMK-PRO? or was it 2017?

3) With the comments I have seen, its seems like the AXYS chassis is a big upgrade over the older Pro Ride. Would you guy say the price difference is worth it for a noob?

V
Nov 29, 2016
Axys ProRMK started in 2016. New chassis, new motor.

Axys ProRMKs are easier to ride than Pro-Ride ProRMK.

If it was my money, I'd pick up a used Axys or a new leftover.

Always try and buy the current chassis generation.

Thanks. This is just what I thought from my reading.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Axys ProRMK started in 2016. New chassis, new motor.

Axys ProRMKs are easier to ride than Pro-Ride ProRMK.

If it was my money, I'd pick up a used Axys or a new leftover.

Always try and buy the current chassis generation.

Pretty much nailed it....................

The "Pro RMK's " are good but the Pro Axys RMK's are a tick better and a little easier to ride.

B
Oct 31, 2010
Pretty much nailed it....................

The "Pro RMK's " are good but the Pro Axys RMK's are a tick better and a little easier to ride.

I would add that the axys engine has a better track record so far in terms of reliability! I would go axys all the way if your budget is ok with it (you will probably spend the difference in maintenance on an older chassis anyways)

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
You can't go wrong with any of those choices.

Being a new rider, you don't know your preferences yet.

Let the best deal/ best value make your decision for you.

Go for the lowest miles you can find.

Rubber motor mounts should be swapped out at 1000 miles. Clutches need to be rebuilt before 1000 (mountain) miles.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I wouldn't say the AXYS is necessarily easier to ride than the pro as they are both easy to ride.

I remember when I first picked up my Pro (came off a 2011 M8) that the pro does turn really easy. Often, at first, I would "skid out" the back end of the pro when turning quick as wasn't used to how easy it turns. I would same similar feeling on the AXYS.

Track size - my 2 cents is 155 is plenty plus the 155 will turn sharper than a 63. And unless you are riding super deep pow all the time, 3" track isn't needed.

If an axys just isn't in the budget; I wouldn't turn down a good used pro for the right price.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
2.6 track is a great track, if you are planning on riding a lot of deep snow the 163 is more forgiving and let's you ride a bit slower picking your lines. Definitely go with an AXYS.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
1) I thought the AXYS Chassis just that a Chassis, is it not? As I saw something mention that AXYS was its own model, however when I look currently on the Polaris website I don't see a AXYS model.

2) 2016 was the first year of the AXYS chassis on the RMK-PRO? or was it 2017?

3) With the comments I have seen, its seems like the AXYS chassis is a big upgrade over the older Pro Ride. Would you guy say the price difference is worth it for a noob?

2) 2016-current

3) buy what you can afford that is a good deal. i wouldn't turn down a later model pro with low miles. that said, you might find a hold over axys for not much more w/ warranty.

4) 155/163 both will be fine. my current sled is a 163 but again i wouldn't turn down the 155 for the right price. idaho riding is a lot like utah. prefer the deep but sometimes have to ride it as is, which leads me to #5) 2.6 vs 3" -- i stick with the 2.6 for several reasons. it's well rounded for all conditions. allows me to keep the belt drive and there will be plenty of replacement take offs available if i tear it to shreds. also, i hear the new 3" has become better but they had some growing pains. if you're looking at used you will likely be getting a 1st edition.

good luck with your choice

Premium Features