• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air intake & thermo bob on my KTM 500exc

Oct 10, 2017
Hello, I am from Russia.
This winter I sold my Axys pro rmk, and bought ktm 500exc 2017 with camso dts 129.
I know that there is some problems using motorcycle in cold temperatures and deep snow.
So please tell me if I need to install thermo bob on my ktm or not, also I haven't found thermo bob on my 500 exc.
The second question is how to solve the problem with air filter, I also tried to find some solutions how to change twin air stock filter on snorkel with only prefilter, (because last winter I have a big problems with ice and snow covering my stock filter) but I haven't found such. Please tell me how you solve this problems.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
Hello, I am from Russia.
This winter I sold my Axys pro rmk, and bought ktm 500exc 2017 with camso dts 129.
I know that there is some problems using motorcycle in cold temperatures and deep snow.
So please tell me if I need to install thermo bob on my ktm or not, also I haven't found thermo bob on my 500 exc.
The second question is how to solve the problem with air filter, I also tried to find some solutions how to change twin air stock filter on snorkel with only prefilter, (because last winter I have a big problems with ice and snow covering my stock filter) but I haven't found such. Please tell me how you solve this problems.

For your KTM EXC you should not have to add any thing to the cooling system as your bike already has a thermostate and the ECU should calibrate itself to the cold. For your airfilter have your tried the outerwears skin for your stock filter it works food for me.

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
I would recommend engine blankets or at least crazy carpet (or another light plastic) to keep the engine temperatures up. I make a nice insulated engine blankets but custom fit each one, which means I need the bike on my bench for a couple days.

As for the intake some guys really like the snorkel solution but I have heard mixed reviews. For my bike and a few friends I have made Frogzskins covers for all the airbox openings that Velcro on.... then just run with the stock bike filter and an Outerwares prefilter. None of us had snow in the intake box since. There fussy and time consuming to make but worth the effort.

Oct 10, 2017
Thanks for your answer, but please tell me what do you mean by
"Frogzskins covers for all the airbox openings that Velcro on.... "
I don't understand it please explain.
Also please tell me what do you think about pr2 ecu for my snow bike.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Pr2 is the way to go for sure... Worth it's weight in gold... especially if you are getting fuel in your oil.... Besides that it makes the bike run perfect. I don't know if the 500 stat is different than all the rest but you need one that totally shuts off the coolant flow to the radiators to be effective... The ones I know with KTM still weep some through ... If you have really deep snow ...... The pod filter was the only way to go...on other KTM models we have ridden with they take out the black portion of the air box then run a pod filter...timbersled carried one at one point... But if you keep the airbox frogskin is a type of material like the outerwear that keeps snow out and let's air in... Here on Utah our snow is too fine and finds it's way in too easily still...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
The pod filter was the only way to go...on other KTM models we have ridden with they take out the black portion of the air box then run a pod filter

What about the built in Sensor for the EFI System when you remove the black portion of the airbox though?

The sensor is built into that boot?

Oct 10, 2017
Thanks a lot for your information, but I can't find were I can buy this tss air intake system.
I found pictures of tss air intake in google, but I couldn't find where I can buy it.
Also I couldn't find this intake on tss's web site.
Please tell me if you know where I can buy this system?

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
Thanks for your answer, but please tell me what do you mean by
"Frogzskins covers for all the airbox openings that Velcro on.... "
I don't understand it please explain.

Frogzskins is a membrane that will allow air to pass through but resists water. Imagine opening the left side airbox cover, instead of being able to reach in and touch your air filter there's a membrane in your way held in place with Velcro around the perimeter ( to make it easy to pull pull out your air filter for drying between rides) there's also openings behind the right side cover and on the top of the airbox that I use the same method on.

Like I said it was just something I tried for my bike and it worked well enough that friends wanted a set...... but the snorkels in this thread below are far more economical.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017
Yes I watched this snorkels, but the problem is that there is no place for Sensor for the EFI System, so what to do with this, how to install this sensor.
In tss snorkels I watched the place for sensor installation. But I can't find where to buy timber snorkel.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
You have to buy from Polaris.... A dealer

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Premium Features