• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axis sidekick turbo, belts and rpm's

K
Mar 11, 2016
I have 2 2016 Axis 800 163's running Boondockers sidekick basic turbos. One was snow checked a year ago and is on it's second season, the other I bough last fall as a new holdover. I put the turbo's on this both this year. The snow check sled had about 850 miles on it when the turbo was installed. I put the turbo on the other right out of the box. The snow check sled ran great for about 300 miles and then had the low rpm issues. Never could resolve them. Only tried clutching and belt's to fix it. No results. I put the sidekick kit on both sleds with the clutching that came with the kit. Boondockers likes 8400 and they both run right there and pull like crazy. I also put the Gates carbon belt on both sleds at the first of the season and have put 1000 miles on each sled this season. I adjusted the belt tension 1 time after following the breaking procedure for the belts. I check the tension after each ride and it has been perfect. No rpm changes all season. We only ride the steep back country and pull them hard in deep snow all day. We ride from 7000 to 11000 feet elevation. Never on a trail. Both belts are still in great shape. I wish they would go so I could get a warranty replacement, but they don't look warn at all. I haven't changed motor mounts and don't have torque arms on either sled. I also check the weight bushings regularly and haven't had to change them either. I've never had more fun than with these sleds. Both run perfectly every day no matter the weather, snow conditions or altitude. It's like riding a stock sled but never running out of throttle. The power is smooth and linear. We go places at half throttle that stock sleds can't even get to. Lots of untracked riding this year. I've been riding for over 25 years and couldn't be happier with this set up. I am going to change out the motor mounts and put a torque arm on when this season is over just as a preventative measure. Thanks for all the good input and all I learn from your experience.

Last edited:
K
Mar 11, 2016
good question. Lots of possibilities but nothing that is definitive. When I installed the turbo with the clutching kit, the rpm issue was gone. Both sleds pulled 8400 RPM's no matter what the altitude or conditions. I've never had a set up that worked so well.

Premium Features