• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

melted wire

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
this looks like a jumper wire coming off of the stator that has melted the insulation and corroded. is there an underlying cause that is typical off this or possibly just abrasion that caused the melting? i don't want to replace it only to have it happen again. not being electrically savy, i'm limited on knowledge here.

thanks in advance

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I would suspect corrosion on the terminals since they are not waterproofed and have little-to-no dielectric grease on them from factory (or it dries up). I would clean up the terminals and coat in delectric after repairing them. It is also maybe possible your voltage regulator is going bad and too much current went through cooking it? As a preventive measure I just went through all the electrical connections for stator and VR and ECU and selenoid and coils and hit them a little with a small wire brush and put fresh dielectric grease on them...

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Thanks, the VR and capacitor went out a year ago, so it may have been like that since before the components were replaced..

Premium Features