• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cvt snow bike

G
Nov 15, 2015
Fargo
If you flip the cylinders you are back where you started. Exhaust pointing forward and intake to the back. Only now you have waterpump and oilpump turning the wrong way and clutch at your right.
If I would use some snowmobile engine I would take the clutch out and put chain or beltdrive between the motor and the clutch. Clutch would be better located at the same side of the belt as the motor. That way it would be some 200mm/8" less width and more cenralized mass.

I had thought about that as well but then I realized the clutch doesn't stick out any farther than your leg anyway and it just adds a bunch of complexity and failure points.

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
If you flip the cylinders you are back where you started. Exhaust pointing forward and intake to the back. Only now you have waterpump and oilpump turning the wrong way and clutch at your right.
If I would use some snowmobile engine I would take the clutch out and put chain or beltdrive between the motor and the clutch. Clutch would be better located at the same side of the belt as the motor. That way it would be some 200mm/8" less width and more cenralized mass.

You missunderstood, leave motor same direction as stock and flip cylinders 180 degrees.

Running primary off belt driven shaft is another idea that we have been pondering. But another shaft and frame to support it equals more weight.
Lots of good ideas!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Most 2S engine designs really do not care which direction it runs or how it is mounted, there have been a few exceptions through out history. 2S outboards are mounted vertically, I've seen a few ultra light drag cycles with the 2S snowmobile engines inverted and mounted to a single tubular frame member that ran from the headset / triple clamp to the rear suspension pivot. The 2S engine has nearly unlimited mounting options. I think it is short sighted / misinformed to compare it to a diesel engine of any sort. Apples and oranges, IMO. I have drawn up many a machine with the whole engine turned 180 degrees (like the Fast sleds) but run them the designed direction and reversed the rotation in the final gear reduction. Intake in front for the ram air effect and pipes straight out the back above the tunnel and below the seat. A design I've had drawn for twenty years or so is an in the driver CVT system that is fed with a belt drive straight from the crank stub to the driveshaft / CVT input (common centerlines), hollow driveshaft with the gear reduction / CVT in the center between the drivers. No heavy wide clutches and more centralized mass. Under 5 pounds rotating mass from crankshaft to drivers. That is where I foresee the greatest single evolution in snow sport technology to occur, reducing the rotating weight and the parasitic drag. While increasing the overall efficiency.

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
I have given builds like this some thought too and have wondered if you could find a motorcycle engine/ tranny that would handle the sled motors hp and gut out the mcycle engine leaving only the clutch and trans.

Seems like you could drive it with a belt or chain like any primary and it allows for the trans to be located where it may fit in better than sled clutches.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Cool idea

Most 2S engine designs really do not care which direction it runs or how it is mounted, there have been a few exceptions through out history. 2S outboards are mounted vertically, I've seen a few ultra light drag cycles with the 2S snowmobile engines inverted and mounted to a single tubular frame member that ran from the headset / triple clamp to the rear suspension pivot. The 2S engine has nearly unlimited mounting options. I think it is short sighted / misinformed to compare it to a diesel engine of any sort. Apples and oranges, IMO. I have drawn up many a machine with the whole engine turned 180 degrees (like the Fast sleds) but run them the designed direction and reversed the rotation in the final gear reduction. Intake in front for the ram air effect and pipes straight out the back above the tunnel and below the seat. A design I've had drawn for twenty years or so is an in the driver CVT system that is fed with a belt drive straight from the crank stub to the driveshaft / CVT input (common centerlines), hollow driveshaft with the gear reduction / CVT in the center between the drivers. No heavy wide clutches and more centralized mass. Under 5 pounds rotating mass from crankshaft to drivers. That is where I foresee the greatest single evolution in snow sport technology to occur, reducing the rotating weight and the parasitic drag. While increasing the overall efficiency.

I really like your idea.
I wish you were working in the engineering department of one of the snowmobile mfg's.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
collision course

down at EXPO the last few days, SAT looked sunny, better ride, tossed a coin and headed for Reynolds Pass..........then cloudy and black sky to the West, went North down the Gallatin to Taylors fork / Carrot basin. Unloaded with a pile of sleds and bikes, rode in the sun right up into a blizzard in the basin. Tons of new deep dense/wind/blowing snow, cut around until I could dump in my gas and rode back down into the sun to play. Heard some bikes and something just wasn't right, two strokes somewhere in the mix that didn't sound like bikes or sled.

On the way out sitting alongside the icerock trail, along comes two 2 stokes on some kind of..........not sure some Honda or something.........whoa Les and his pal Chris on the CVT's. Been talking to Les for 3 or four years about hooking up and riding with him on his trips to Missoula.

Nice to meet Les the SnowHawk in person. Thanks for coming over and saying hello Les. And by the way this nice guy is thinking way to far outside the box...........for most.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Nice , very nice , I suspect the only reason he went down was from exhaustion of holding on :face-icon-small-hap

Good on him

Premium Features