• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

96 500 RMK- Driveshaft Help

G
Nov 21, 2007
Utah
Need Help- Currently have a 96 500 RMK, that I put a 1.75 x 136 under a few years back. In order to get the clearance I needed I also had to change the drivers from the 9 tooth 7" to the 8 tooth 6". This had really worked great for about 5-6 years until last year when I broke the driveshaft in half. I replaced the driveshaft ( with a used shaft) and was able to get about 300 miles on it when it failed again last week. My question to all is- By putting this aggressive of track on this machine am I putting to much torque on the driveshaft which is causing it to fail? I did not change the gearing from what came on it stock, but I do not know what is causing it to fail.
Any help would be appreciated, since the kids love this sled to ride.

Thanks
Grandpa

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i would say its a coincidence, or something got tweaked. are you setting track tension correct?

G
Nov 21, 2007
Utah
After breaking the orginal I replaced all bearings etc ad set the track tension to 3/8"-1/2" per the owners manual. I too am wondering if by chance the "old" XLT shaft I used ( I had to press on my drivers) was bad to begin with? Just didn't know if any of you had run across this same thing or if something stood out to you guys of what I was doing wrong or if using a 1.75 x 136 was casing too much torque on the shaft. I haven't torn it down yet, but also curious if I had a bearing seize up? Would a seized bearing cause the shaft to snap in half?
Grandpa

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Would a seized bearing cause the shaft to snap in half?
Grandpa

the torque will usually overcome a siezure, and the bearing will fall apart inside loosening the track tension on that side, making the track skip teeth on drivers... it could cause a snap but youd have plenty of warning first i think. Are these kids a lot harder on the machine then you know?

Id get another used shaft and call it a coincidence. Lots of folks running 1.75-2" on those shafts without issue. make sure your replacement has same part # as stock, i dont know if that chassis' was same as the wedge shafts, Even the wedge shafts were not all the same, some used press on bearings, others had set screws...

G
Nov 21, 2007
Utah
I would think a would hear the bearing first as well, but since I wasn't riding it at the time I can't same for sure- My girls are pretty mellow riders, and we were on the fresh groomed trail just going to Big Springs in Island Park when it hapened ( 3 miles in to our 4 day trip- bummer) As for the shaft everything measured out the same and went together like I imagined. It did have set screws to "lock" the bearing in place on the speedo side.
Thanks for your help, I think I will get another used shaft and give it another go, at 20 yrs old the sled means more to me and the kids then just parting it out. I guess it figured I needed more wrenching practice
Thanks again
Grandpa

Premium Features