• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Geo-Referenced (KMZ) Snowy Range Trail Map

M
Dec 4, 2007
Huron,South Dakota
Did you make this map??? If so would like some a couple others if you want to charge, I'd pay for them . This is awesome.

I have the Avenza app on my phone & they have the Cooke City map,, but I can't use it on my 530HCx.

M
Dec 4, 2007
Huron,South Dakota
Big Horns, Togwotee,Cooke City, and West Yellowstone

not asking alot am i ?? lol

downloaded a free app on my iphone. Avenza they have a map for Cooke City,it does'nt need cell signal to work, and havent been back since ive gotten it. there was a Ranger gal doing a survey one day when we were on our way bacdk in. she was telling me about. looks pretty cool,, but i cant get that map on my 530HCx.

app store just type in avenza, or Google avenza.com

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...80mlGa89hA5lsng&bvm=bv.62788935,d.aWc&cad=rja

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
If you have the electronic copies (highest resolution you can get) of the Montana trail maps I can give it a shot next week sometime.

Let me know -

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
DO NOT LOAD THIS FILE INTO YOUR UNIT!!! THIS FILE DAMAGED 2 655t UNITS WHICH REQUIRES $140 REPAIR COST PLUS SHIPPING PER UNIT!!! DO NOT LOAD OR TOUCH THIS FILE!!!

The KMZ file damaged the units? Can you provide more information as to what was damaged and how it was fixed?

Besides these trail maps that I created, I have downloaded a bunch of KMZ files from GPSFileDepot.com - the ones I have put on my GPS have worked fine so far.

I
Jan 19, 2013
Dakota Territory
BAD FILE….!??!?!

mit9750 is a buddy. He forwarded the link to the Wyoming trails to me this morning. I have made and used my own .kmz files before but didn't have the Big Horns (he's out there now) so decided to see if i could short cut the process with this file. Uploaded it to the first unit and it went off line on the USB. When powered up it goes through the startup screen and powers down. Figured it was a quirk and loaded the file to my 2nd unit *STUPID* --- It did the same thing. Neither unit will power up or go into hard drive mode. Called Garmin support and we tried a startup "block" - no luck. Tech said units must be sent in for repair… $140/pop… Obviously I'm pretty PO'd. Tech said file was corrupted or infected.. Don't know what it will take to fix them since it just happened..

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
So it was the Wyoming trails file and not the snowy range map? The issue I had with that one was the colors not showing up, but I just figured it was an issue with basecamp.

I
Jan 19, 2013
Dakota Territory
When I make .kmz files, I use GIMP to edit and convert and then go to Google Earth. Have never had a problem with one. I suppose it is possible to drag a virus, etc. into the .kmz - i suspect that is what happened here. My bad for using untested data….

I
Jan 19, 2013
Dakota Territory
Wyoming .kmz

UPDATE: When the WY trails map is downloaded to desktop and then imported to BaseCamp, BaseCamp advises that " *.kmz is not a valid .kmz file and could not be opened" I loaded the file to my Garmin units via Google Earth - they work fine there… Something is not right with the file but not sure what it is. After visiting with Garmin for some time - and they were pretty curious about it also - they are going to replace both units - one under warranty, and one at $80 (it is out of warranty). I felt this was more than fair since I was told to keep my batteries. Garmin rep advised to ALWAYS import through BaseCamp even though it is not a guarantee that a bad file will be caught. Learning the hard way……. :)

B

Bergie

Apr 28, 2013
Omaha,NE
UPDATE to SNOWY RANGE MAP

Just wanted to post an update... I created a new 2014 version of this map.
I will start a new post with uploaded file. This version should be little better, then last one!

Sorry to hear you had some issues, glad it wasn't my version.

Premium Features