• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike projects lets see them # 2

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
i think this one is ready
so i got a home built kit 121 hawk track
pod filter kit that i sell for snowbikes
installed a yamaha raptor thermostat 10$ off ebay
custom skid plate and engine shrouds with very good fit. I can sell these too have patterns for 09 kx450 and the o8 rmz and 12 500 ktm
just got 2 more of my custom skis put together today
use a voyager gauge and cyclops adventure light for the rmz
rotopax gas cans. these things are awesome units i can hook u up with these too!

What Type of Plastic are you using for your skid plates? And where would i find it?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
You did go to townon that --- that will do it.

All I did is a big deflector ahead of the engine like yours but no skid-plate.

That way there is no ice build up skid-plates kill with ice build up.

And a deflector that kept the snow from the track of the back of the engine.

That is the big heat stealer right there, once you stop airflow from front and the

Track throwing snow at the engine all the snow just melts of the engine

and it stays dry and Plenty hot.

I run unibiker rad guards that make it easy to tape of 1/3 of the Rads.

Never had a problem with oil or water in the oil since.

I am going to put my kit on this week some time and send a pic.

cheers…..

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
SNOW finally

MY other two posta on this thread was pictures of building 3 snobike kits. the second post was Dan's way ORANGE 450 ktm in the shop ready for a trial run.

Never did get shop picture of my BLUE YZ250, but here's a few pictures of our first day in the snow.

So this morning in Missoula its raining fairly hard, SCAN WEB as 6 am showed new snow at top of LOLO pass, not our usual riding area, but it appeared to be toooo much snow for hunters so off we went knowing it was goiing to be soaked KLIM gear in a few hours......and it was, by 2 pm wet elbows/knees......goretex gear more than 1 year old.....not good.

Bikes worked great in blinding snow 10" wet powder on roads and look out if you went off trail and toooo early for that nonsense.

So our builds: I will never own a bike without adjustable link/ strut. Huge handling differences in just a 1/4" of strut change.......wow, I've been operating with real bad information. No idea yet where we will end up.

Deeper lug tracks than earlier build: big plus.

As for my YZ250: built it because I could never find any reliable information about a 250 two stroke on the snow.
1. relieved to find it works
2. relieved to find it's going to work better than I thought
3. light front end ?? thats a first experience on a snow bike.......no diving duck ski.
4. wheelie potential when you grab two gears in deep snow......love that
5. as expected throttle produces a bike trying to climb on top of snow instead of trench.
6 big air snorket worked good
7 thermostat worked good
8 hot water going around my carb to prevent icing ?? its working.... even has ski doo valve made for that

some downers that need fix'n

I'm tooo low geared, haven't checked track roll out yet, bet its under 13"
Upside I made more gearing
Got to add som lighting.....but hey its that season
tool kit was in my packpack today......total bad deal, going to have to drill that new powder coat tunnel deck

best part was high 5's and hugs from Dan......where genius's great summer project/.

12 1 13 yz parking lot dan background.JPG 12 1 13 ktm yz dan thumbs up.JPG 12 1 13 yz ktm mike from front.JPG 12 1 13 yz ktm back end of day parking lot.JPG 12 1 13 ktm parking lot ready to go.JPG

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
Ez-ryde snowbike

CR500R engine in a 2007 CRF250R chassis. Ez-Ryde skid shortened to 121"x2". I've been slacking a little but it's finally coming together. Just some welding and powdercoating and it should be ready to take for some testing runs. Also anxiously waiting for my 38mm smartcarb to show up.

Premium Features