• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coil over vs tortional rear suspension

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Is the Coil over that much of an improvement over the tortional?

From a dollar and cents issue, these are my thoughts..

1) KEEP STOCK (550ish)
-need 2 shocks revalves (200 from BJ)
-need ZRP skid relocation bracket. (155 from BJ)
- "Fat boy" rear springs (150 from BRP)

2) ZBROZ COIL OVER (1050)
- Rear shock and bracket (640)
- Front Shock (410)

3) RAPTOR REAR (2000)
- rear shock and bracket (1400)
- front shock (600)

... is the juice worth the squeeze?

Ace

Last edited:

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
first off, i have never had the coil over conversion kit.....so take this with a grain of salt...

i have done the "fat boy" torsions, re-valved front skid shock, and aftermarket exit 1x rear skid shock on my 2 XM's as well as my G4 last year. i had the fronts re-valved and re-sprung as well.

this combo came in at less than $1000, and i was 100% happy. as an average skilled mountain rider that doesnt do any big jumps or big cornice drops.....it works great keeping the sled, as well as my large ***, suspended. the choppy trails getting in and out of the steep and deep are alot more bearable too.

sucking up the limiter strap 1 hole, along with the rear end components also helped with the wheelie problem. if its a DEEP day and you just play out in the open areas, dropping the limiter strap down to the stock hole makes it a fun machine.

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
I ran fat boy torsions on my XP... Turned em all the way up and put a spacer in the coil to keep them aligned. Worked for me at 290#ish.... I love my air shocks, never tried coil over. Sounds like they are plenty strong though.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I ran a number of coil over skids in the past Holz (the original coil over) K mod - Timbersled AD Boivin etc. They work excellent no problem there.
However they were designed to be coil over rigid skids.
The T motion is not designed to be rigid at all and the torsion springs give it stability and a certain amount of ballade when the skid is all the way on one side that spring will take a lot of the side load. Remove that spring and all the force will concentrate right at the rear suspension arm.
That is my rational why I am sticking with the stock setup.

Evanbcx

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2015
Newfoundland
I have the raptor ace kit on mine and love it rode all last year with the motion locked out and it was so much more stable on steep side hills and crossing tracks on one ski in the snow. Would definitely recommend it

srfink

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2013
Great Falls, MT
I'm looking to do the full Raptor suspension on my 16 XM....Also debating the KMOD setup. Little pricey and not sure if that's the exact route I need to go with my riding style. Little expensive for just the "cool factor". At any rate, moving toward the ACE as well. What advantages do you see with the ACE?

S
Dec 2, 2007
I havent ridden it yet but I installed the Zbro coilover kit with x2 shock. Got the front revalved and installed hygear dual rate pro twisted spring kit. Added the ZRP Z motion with lockout washers and rail stiffners. I did all of this for $1050. I let the front limiter out 1 hole. I set the center spring to a very soft initial load then it firms up. This is where I'll start and adjust from there.

20171026_102231.jpg

Last edited:

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I havent ridden it yet but I installed the Zbro coilover kit with x2 shock. Got the front revalved and installed hygear dual rate pro twisted spring kit. Added the ZRP Z motion with lockout washers and rail stiffners. I did all of this for $1050. I let the front limiter out 1 hole. This is where I'll start and adjust from there.

... the Zbroz kit doesn't change the geometry? Still need the ZRP relocation?

Ace

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I'm looking to do the full Raptor suspension on my 16 XM....Also debating the KMOD setup. Little pricey and not sure if that's the exact route I need to go with my riding style. Little expensive for just the "cool factor". At any rate, moving toward the ACE as well. What advantages do you see with the ACE?

... my guess is that it is lighter than the ZBroz kit, and the Raptor Shocks are a bit better...

Ace

S
Dec 2, 2007
... the Zbroz kit doesn't change the geometry? Still need the ZRP relocation?

Ace

I believe it does change the geometry due to the 2 brackets that come with the kit and the actual mounting of the shock and how it works is different. I did verify that the Zbro kit will work along side the Z motion bracket.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You do know you were riding on Tom's set up in McCall last year? I guess you better hope that's not why you liked that sled so much :eyebrows: I think the Tom's is the best, though I haven't tried a K Mod on an 850. With Tom's you can do the full sled with Air shocks for around $2,500. Well worth the squeeze!

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
You do know you were riding on Tom's set up in McCall last year? I guess you better hope that's not why you liked that sled so much :eyebrows: I think the Tom's is the best, though I haven't tried a K Mod on an 850. With Tom's you can do the full sled with Air shocks for around $2,500. Well worth the squeeze!

... trying to get Tom or ANYONE from Toms to call back is a challenge! Left some messages, and I know he is super busy this time of year!

Ace

Wyopowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2013
Shock

Did zbroz rear coil and bracket last year on 17 was very happy, did it again for 18 plus fox coils in front and hope to get relocation bracket soon.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt

Went with the Tom’s E motion from my previous sled, called Tom and purchased the
0ca2c3b74c1bfbddc8230dd2c4380fb9.jpg
2df7eaac6e2f9664a4490f43cc160c95.jpg
new from billet rocker arm and throttle rods needed. Crazy that the front arm pivots as well as the rear arm that replaces the T-motion. Tom described it as 2 negatives (people view t-motion as negative) making a positive.
I have 1 ride on the new set up, so far I really like it. Can’t wait to get it on some real sidehill and compare it to a locked out skid.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Went with the Tom’s E motion from my previous sled, called Tom and purchased the
0ca2c3b74c1bfbddc8230dd2c4380fb9.jpg
2df7eaac6e2f9664a4490f43cc160c95.jpg
new from billet rocker arm and throttle rods needed. Crazy that the front arm pivots as well as the rear arm that replaces the T-motion. Tom described it as 2 negatives (people view t-motion as negative) making a positive.
I have 1 ride on the new set up, so far I really like it. Can’t wait to get it on some real sidehill and compare it to a locked out skid.

Is that a Z motion or Tom's new piece? Last time I spoke with him he told me he was working on a rear billet piece similar to the Z motion.

Premium Features