• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RPM Composite Skid Plate install

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Remove the hood, the pipe and the muffler. I unplugged the two exhaust sensors at the junction box.

Removed skidoo stock skid plate and used black permatex to fill the holes in the plastic, predrilled the rivets with 3/16" until I hit the nail, switched to 1/4" and the head comes off. Use punch to tap the remaining rivet out. Keep track of the rivet heads with nail do not want to leave one in the belly pan that can wind up in the clutch. Change the oil in the chain case.

The RPM skid plate comes with all holes predrilled and a package of 1/4" bolts, inner and outer flat washers and nylock nuts. Use the skid plate as an overlay to determine which rivets or fasteners need to be removed.

RPM skid is 3 piece, left back, right back and center. Install either back part first: clutch side remove torx fastener near footwell and reuse, drill out rivet in the board, all bolts are 1/4" and will require the use of a 1/4" drill. Place the guard against the machine and loosely reinstall the torx fastener and bolt in running board for alignment, hold guard against machine to drill front hole in plastic and the fourth hole (common to the front piece).
On the exhaust side drill out two rivets and use for alignment install bolts and drill 3rd hole in plastic and the fourth hole (common to the front piece).
On the front piece drill out the two rivets just below where the A arms attach to the sled at the front, insert the two bolts and the two common ones at the rear (front piece fits over top the two rear pieces), this aligns and holds the front piece for drilling the remainder of the holes in the plastic. Install the remainder of the bolts loosely with washers in and out, check final alignment and tighten in place.

Remember this is just my guide; you may find something that works better for you so no warranty if you screw up the install.

Replace the pipe and muffler and plug the exhaust sensors into the junction box, install the hood.

Fits like a glove a very well made product with optimum protection (approximately 3/16" thick composite material not plastic). I painted my bolts and washers on the outside of skid with flat black paint to prevent rusting. No I didn't weigh it and I didn't attach any pictures, look at previous skid post or dootalk for pics.
It does not come with a drain hole for the chain case so here are some options: 1) Drill a hole if you absolutely want one, I didn't. 2)Drain the oil into the area and remove or loosen the guard to clean up the mess. 3) I plan to use a vacuum canister to suck out the oil for future oil changes or when I need to remove the chain case cover and I will place a rag below to keep the oil from pooling in the area below which would be very messy.

This product is very strong, very nice appearance (carbon fiber look) and may appear to be more expensive than the plastic ones. It can be removed in minutes, used on another machine if needed and costs just a bit more than the pricier cans but makes no noise. This is my third one, as I do not buy collision insurance on my sleds my payout is about 2-3 years.

Raffi at RPM is a great guy to deal with and I have no affiliation with his company. He makes a great product. Hope this helps someone who is shopping for or getting ready to install this product.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Pretty excited to get this skid plate on my sled. Spoke w/ Raffi today on the phone, great guy. Sound like he really takes great pride in his work and stands behind his product. He said they are busy but not slammed. These skid plates are made to order, so don’t delay. I added a few photos that I found on the web for you guys.
00dc69fd183c134f55ad2ca0fb49d958.jpg
21980ea102ef87ad70ccc1fc7c9afe87.jpg

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Thanks for the write up Andystoy! I'm impatiently waiting on my new summit and the RPM Composites skid plate. :bowl:

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Anybody with a 2017-2019 Summit Gen4, I am selling my RPM skid plate. Edit. Sold thanks snowest

Last edited:
Premium Features