• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Changing fuel filter on PRO RMK?

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
All-

With all of the fuel filter talk I got a new one for both of my sleds. I did the PRO -R 600 already and that was very easy. Working on the RMK and looking at how it connects to the fuel rail.

How do you get the old one out of there??

FYI-Put and SPI filter in the 600. Got it on eBay for $35 shipped for a parts store. Got the one for the RMK for about $50 from HPE. HPE didn't have it online and had to call in which I hate because I don't have the time during the day to deal with that. When I did call they were super nice to work with!

Thanks

RexFlex23

Premium Member
Oct 29, 2010
Minnesota
Just did mine last week, 2700 miles and never was changed, I bought the sled used this fall, new motor was put in 500 miles ago, hmmmm. I couldn't budge it and had same questions. Ended up using a pair of channel locks and grabbing a hold of the hose, after I disconnected from tank, and gently turn the connector in the fuel rail clockwise-counterclockwise to get it "broke" free. Once it started moving freely I then started applying pulling force with the channel locks and continued to rock it back and forth with the hose clockwise-counterclockwise until it finally came free. The new one going back in was a TIGHT fit as well. Maybe there is a better way but that worked for me. I honestly thought I was going to break it when I first started!!

HPE part # for the 2011-2012 Pro/Assault is: 241-207 which matches Polaris 2521095. Please note this part will NOT fit the 2013+ sleds!! I talked to HPE and they said the part is in the works but looks like next season before available for the 2013+ version.

Last edited:
R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
This is what I was thinking but I was a little worried to just start pulling and stuff on it.

Could I spray a little lube on it to help it go back in better? Little on the O-rings?

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
After you slip the tool in push the hose towards the tank before you pull the hose off, it should push the tool into the clips a little bit further and should pop right off. same on the filter side..

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
All-

With all of the fuel filter talk I got a new one for both of my sleds. I did the PRO -R 600 already and that was very easy. Working on the RMK and looking at how it connects to the fuel rail.

How do you get the old one out of there??

FYI-Put and SPI filter in the 600. Got it on eBay for $35 shipped for a parts store. Got the one for the RMK for about $50 from HPE. HPE didn't have it online and had to call in which I hate because I don't have the time during the day to deal with that. When I did call they were super nice to work with!

Thanks

You are good to use a pliers or channel locks and be as gentle as you can to extract it from the fuel rail. The new one may go in the rail very hard, also, a very light coating of 2S oil on the o rings won't hurt. I have tapped them gently with a rubber hammer to get them seated before, with no ill effect. The key is, gentle. Every filter I've seen after 1000 miles needed to be changed, based on blowing air through them. 500 miles not so much. It should start within a three or four pulls, if you didn't depressurize the pump. FWIW.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
These are the best... from Lisle... You can buy the set or individuals from Orielly or NAPA ...

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=224&division=1&category=28

39400c_AA9C8EE016E4E.jpg

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Has anyone cut the stock filter apart on a '13? What kind of filter media is it?
Paper, screen, porous brass??

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
Not sure what comes on the pro, I cut open the aftermarket filter for my 09, one I had changed before. It had about 1500 miles on it, just paper inside. Was almost completely clean too, didn't need to be changed.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Should really get the propper tool, this is a cheap one that works ok on a lot fo efi line fittings

2009-08-20_184820_Fuel_line_tool-400x259.jpg

dirtball08

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
strathmore, ab
I'll be cutting open a oem filter within the week to see if running avgas last yr affected the element any. Will let you know.

S

Srgjigpog

Apr 1, 2012
Canada
I changed mine tonight. Inside of my filter was black and full of black dirt. Wondering if it's from the oil I add to my gas

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Not to high jack the thread but do any of you guys have an issue getting the fuel return line diss-connected. I can get the 5/16" fuel filter line off the tank with no problem, but the 3/8" inch fuel Return line will not come off with the release tool I have. Am I doing something wrong? This is on a 2011

Oct 18, 2009
MA/NH
Does anyone have any photos of doing the HPE filter on their '11? I have the filter and the quick connect fitting mentioned in another thread but would like to see some pics before I start the project to make sure. Thanks.

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
Does anyone have any photos of doing the HPE filter on their '11? I have the filter and the quick connect fitting mentioned in another thread but would like to see some pics before I start the project to make sure. Thanks.

I do most of my work myself but I ask lots of questions and have a couple real good guys that will help me. That said I did this on my own and it was very I mean very easy.

Pull off both clutches. Take 4 nuts off of clutch cover. Unbolt the oil bottle. I used a rope to strap the oil tank up. swing the clutch guard out and you can get at the fuel rail end of the filter. Replace and do in the other order!! Make sure to release the pressure on the system before you remove the filter. There is a little spot where the line connects to the tank. I just used a screw driver to push it down. Hold a rag over it and you are good to go.

I think this took me maybe 30 minutes and that is because the TV was on in the shop with a good game on and I had to turn around and check that a few times!!

Sorry- no pictures. But if I can do it- you are good to go!

If I missed something please add!!

S
Jan 27, 2010
I just finished the filter replacement on my 2011 Assault. I used the filter tool that Boyko has provided the picture for illustration.

Did not have to remove the clutches as Rocketboy indicated - there was enough room to complete the task without removing, followed Rocketboy's procedure otherwise.

Time to complete was about 45 minutes but some of that was cleanup time as my oil cap leaked from the cap - faulty seal that I will have to address.

Made a real difference to performance, mid and top end cleaned up considerably. I did not cut the filter open to look at - this was my first filter change, sled has approx 1000 miles on it.

S

snomac

Nov 26, 2007
Layton, Utah
Anybody have any updates on how to change the 2013 Pro fuel filters and where I can get an after market one? I just passed 2000 miles and would like to do this. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Where are you guys just finding the filter for sale? I'm only able to find the line with filter.

Premium Features