• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 C2 carbon fiber helmet

J
Mar 19, 2008
Is anyone else using this helmet? I bought one for this season with very high expectations, and to be honest I am a little disappointed. Just got back from my second ride, and again it's giving me a headache. It seems the padding or lack thereof, that they use on the inside is way to thin. The top of my head seems to be in direct contact with the hard foam safety material. It feels like I'm wearing a cheap bicycle helmet. The inside of this helmet seems to be of pretty poor quality. I just used a $160 HJC before this one, and while obviously not as light, I never came back from a ride with a headache because of it.
For those of you using them, what have been your observations so far? I expected a lot more for a helmet in this price range. Right now I am debating taking it back and finding another option.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
I have been wearing the helmet for about a week riding and am happy with the fit and finish. No weird pressure points.

But every head is shaped differently and it is important to try a helmet on before buying. I find the Evolution fits different then the C2 in the 509 line.

Are you sure the liner is seated properly and not bunching up when you ARE putting it on?

Hope you get the issue resolved.

J
Mar 19, 2008
I am sure the liner is seated properly. I wish I would have had the chance to try it on first but the only one my dealer had in stock was an evolution and it seemed ok. I had to order this one, and I'm actually surprised I got it at all. When I ordered they told me they were backordered until February.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I am sure the liner is seated properly. I wish I would have had the chance to try it on first but the only one my dealer had in stock was an evolution and it seemed ok. I had to order this one, and I'm actually surprised I got it at all. When I ordered they told me they were backordered until February.

Is it matte in medium? :)

J
Mar 19, 2008
As a matter of fact it is. I suspect that was more than a good guess.

Is it something I need to give time to break in? Or was everyone else comfortable from the get go?

I Love everything else about the helmet. Extremely light, if you want a light helmet this is it. Maybe it's my head.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Lol...that helmet is hard to find in that size.

If you decide to give up on it...

J
Mar 19, 2008
Scott, I will let you know. I know what you mean. I didn't expect to be able to get it this year so I really hope its just a break in thing. I'm going to take it on a short bike ride tomorrow, so we'll see. Really hoping it works out I've been looking for a helmet this light for a long time.

Premium Features