• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Kit For Pro?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Silber or Boondocker? And why. Will be running at both high and low elevations. Looking to run around 10lbs boost at 10000'.
Anyone try a twisted?

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
Silber or Boondocker? And why. Will be running at both high and low elevations. Looking to run around 10lbs boost at 10000'.
Anyone try a twisted?

The BD's are running great this year. I love mine!! This years kit is a significant improvement. I haven't been on a Silber but I have spoken with a couple different guys that either own or have ridden both brands and they think there is a noticeable difference. So if you have the opportunity to get out on each of them I think it would be well worth your time.
I rode everyone's kits that I could this year. Differences in each of them but I always walked away happy with my BD decision!
You asked for the "why's". With the BD you get the progressive EBC where 25% throttle gives 25% boost this gives you more manageable power when boost comes on. Altitude compensation mode so you don't need to adjust your boost up and down keeping the HPs more consistent and your clutching on. The BD control box definitely gives you more control over tuning allowing you to tune the bottom end better than the doe beck box will. Tunnel dump exhaust no bogging in heavy snow on hard right side hill pulls. 3* timing key, better low end and less race fuel required. Parts for the turbo readily available if needed. I read that Silber is using a custom made unit.

Last edited:
S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
Anyone try a twisted?

I can tell you from testing that neither of those are the best,we tested at low elevation (86ft) and high elevation with varying results from the Boondocker and silber. The HM kit with the Vipec is the way to go for many reasons. We are running straight pump gas at boost levels never acheived before and at these boost levels most people will turn it down for boondocking and tight tree riding. Send me a pm with your number and Ill fill you in or call me at 701-202-6304.

Our kit on 6 psi pump gas will outrun those kits at 9 psi been proven many times. The dyno proved it and the field testing backed it up. :)

Jake

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I can tell you from testing that neither of those are the best,we tested at low elevation (86ft) and high elevation with varying results from the Boondocker and silber. The HM kit with the Vipec is the way to go for many reasons. We are running straight pump gas at boost levels never acheived before and at these boost levels most people will turn it down for boondocking and tight tree riding. Send me a pm with your number and Ill fill you in or call me at 701-202-6304.

Our kit on 6 psi pump gas will outrun those kits at 9 psi been proven many times. The dyno proved it and the field testing backed it up. :)

Jake

Not to mention a $8k price tag for an hm kit and adding vipec.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast

Jake

Id have to see that to believe it Jake. ive seen Video of your sled run and it looks and sounds like its a strong runner so dont get me wrong. But a good running silber or Bd i can not see you beating at 6 psi if there running 9.

T
Sep 25, 2011
i road jakes sled at hm turbo days and i understand were your coming from when you say you have to see it to beleave it. i road it at hm turbo days it was pritty impresive and vary smooth from top to bottom!!

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
The BD's are running great this year. I love mine!! This years kit is a significant improvement. I haven't been on a Silber but I have spoken with a couple different guys that either own or have ridden both brands and they think there is a noticeable difference. So if you have the opportunity to get out on each of them I think it would be well worth your time.
I rode everyone's kits that I could this year. Differences in each of them but I always walked away happy with my BD decision!
You asked for the "why's". With the BD you get the progressive EBC where 25% throttle gives 25% boost this gives you more manageable power when boost comes on. Altitude compensation mode so you don't need to adjust your boost up and down keeping the HPs more consistent and your clutching on. The BD control box definitely gives you more control over tuning allowing you to tune the bottom end better than the doe beck box will. Tunnel dump exhaust no bogging in heavy snow on hard right side hill pulls. 3* timing key, better low end and less race fuel required. Parts for the turbo readily available if needed. I read that Silber is using a custom made unit.

I'm not calling u out by any means so please don't take this as disrespectful but........you had better low end response with using the timing key?? I know the lower octane fuel will help with the bottom end but you are the first person I have heard of that got better response anywhere in the rpm range with the timing key installed. I used mine for one ride then took it off, bottom end was same as b4 but I hated the on/off throttle response and I lost 300rpm on top.

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
i road jakes sled at hm turbo days and i understand were your coming from when you say you have to see it to beleave it. i road it at hm turbo days it was pritty impresive and vary smooth from top to bottom!!

I'm kinda on the same page with EZMoney on this one. I know watching a video isn't even close to the same as ridding a sled but after watching the vipec video I wasn't wowed or anything. For all I knew I could have been watching a BD or Silber video. If I had to watch a video it would be nice to see it next to a BD or Silber for comparison sake. Or....

Jake, I live in Northern Utah and I am willing to travel in Utah, Southern Idaho or Alpine Wy area and would love to try one of your setups. I'll bring my BD and post an honest and fare evaluation of how the sleds stack up. Do you have anything around here??

Arc

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
I'm kinda on the same page with EZMoney on this one. I know watching a video isn't even close to the same as ridding a sled but after watching the vipec video I wasn't wowed or anything. For all I knew I could have been watching a BD or Silber video. If I had to watch a video it would be nice to see it next to a BD or Silber for comparison sake. Or....

Jake, I live in Northern Utah and I am willing to travel in Utah, Southern Idaho or Alpine Wy area and would love to try one of your setups. I'll bring my BD and post an honest and fare evaluation of how the sleds stack up. Do you have anything around here??

Arc

yes I have some stuff just getting rolling down there, wont be long and Ill look you up or you are invited to Turbo days in LOLO Montana on April 14th, I welcome you to try and blow my sled up. I bet you dont get that offer eevry day LOL:face-icon-small-sho

Ill make you a deal, you show up at turbo days, we run pound for pound of boost and if yours is faster Ill install a Vipec for free that day :) !!

Last edited:
J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I have a silber kit that I am very happy with. Going to give the Boost-it system a try though. I like the Vipec, just don't want to carry a laptop around to get it dialed in and the $2k price tag is a bit much for my type of riding. If I wanted every ounce of tuneability for my sled I would be all over it, but after using the Doboeck syle boxes I like being able to tune on the fly, but want to be able to fine tune it more. And so far haven't heard a bad thing on the Boost-it system.

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
I have a silber kit that I am very happy with. Going to give the Boost-it system a try though. I like the Vipec, just don't want to carry a laptop around to get it dialed in and the $2k price tag is a bit much for my type of riding. If I wanted every ounce of tuneability for my sled I would be all over it, but after using the Doboeck syle boxes I like being able to tune on the fly, but want to be able to fine tune it more. And so far haven't heard a bad thing on the Boost-it system.

I have heard the Boost it system works, the only downfall is no timing control and lots of other features you'll be missing out on. Timing is a huge part of making a boosted sled work at its potential.

P

pinit

Nov 26, 2007
white sulphur springs montana
yes I have some stuff just getting rolling down there, wont be long and Ill look you up or you are invited to Turbo days in LOLO Montana on April 14th, I welcome you to try and blow my sled up. I bet you dont get that offer eevry day LOL:face-icon-small-sho

Ill make you a deal, you show up at turbo days, we run pound for pound of boost and if yours is faster Ill install a Vipec for free that day :) !!

stewsled there in lays the problem (correct me if I'm wrong) you cant run boost for boost because a aero charger turbo wont or shouldn't go over 12 pounds. Another down fall to the aero is the cost to fix when you have problems. I live in white sulphur springs mt and would love to come over and take a look and ride an hm turbo is the 14 of april open to anyone thanks Rodger

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I have heard the Boost it system works, the only downfall is no timing control and lots of other features you'll be missing out on. Timing is a huge part of making a boosted sled work at its potential.

I agree with you that to get full potential a full standalone is the way to go. It is just I am looking for a different controller setup for the remaining part of this year that will work on my Silber kit right out of the box. When I was inquiring about the vipec system you guys were mainly only running HM kits with no secondary injectors. And I was told there is no need to run them, but the problem is I am already running them and don't want to change my entire kit to utilize the vipec. And when I asked about how to set up the secondary injectors was told there are a lot of ways to do it, unfortunatly I'm not ready to tackle the job of using the base map it comes with and modifying it to make the secondary injectors work and not spray too much fuel to where I would have to modify the base map to work.

My cousin had an impulse nytro with a standalone and it had a nasty stumble down low, and there was nothing he could do out on the trail. He had it reflashed by Paul and has worked great since. My only concern is I like being able to make an adjustment if I have to because conditions change, and don't have room to pack a netbook with me.

I do think this standalone is the future of boosted sleds, just think it will be another year or two until there are enough of them running with different kits,and enough maps out there for those kits that the end user that doesn't want to deal with it can get ahold of one.

And for me at this point my silber runs great, just don't like the lean spot at 6000 rpm that I can't get rid of, and seems to load up on WOT when doing a lot of low speed stuff prior to WOT. And lastly I don't like seeing weird flashing lights on my doboeck box when I fire it up in the morning of a ride scratching my head why moisture would get in it.

Keep up the good work though, I'll be eyeing the vipec in a few years when I get a new sled.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast

Thats not what you said. you said 6 pounds to his 9 and you will out run him. Whats this boost for boost? not like it matters because IMO if his BD is set up it will be close between the two.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Sorry if i sound like im being harsh Jake i dont mean it if i am.. You guys put alot of hard work into that fuel system and should be proud. If your sled is that fast then good on ya. cheers

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
Thats not what you said. you said 6 pounds to his 9 and you will out run him. Whats this boost for boost? not like it matters because IMO if his BD is set up it will be close between the two.

The difference is timing control .Timing = HP thats the bottom line. Thats the main reason I know for 100% sure that these systems are way faster and also the ecu is super lightning fast which makes it respond alot quicker than even the factory ecu. I understand that alot of guys are on the fence right now but next year there will be alot of kits running around your area and you will have a chance to hop on one for a spin Im sure. There are alot of factors that play into purchasing one of these systems but if you weigh the consequences in the end the standalone comes out on top. I totally agree that the other fueling systems out there serve their own purpose but as we all know technology can put a damper on things.:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
Premium Features