• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondockers turbo on pro?

I

INKEDRIDER

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 24, 2009
You can have the most perfect tune in the word but if you have to much compression and not enough squish it is still going to detonate, with that said, yes you will lose some bottom end and some hp by raising cylinders but it will clearly be made up in boost pressure.

R
Aug 30, 2008
You can have the most perfect tune in the word but if you have to much compression and not enough squish it is still going to detonate, with that said, yes you will lose some bottom end and some hp by raising cylinders but it will clearly be made up in boost pressure.

Please listen to Inkedrider, and lower your compression. And then you will see why you shouldn't. I run a stock head in my Tm7 and I have ran a solid 500 miles @ 18 PSI. I have ran a good 50 miles at 20 PSI. I have burned the engine down, but not from the stock head. At 20 PSI, it blew the head off, and two bolts shot out. It leaked coolant in the engine and wiped it out. Then, the stator was going out, and starved the engine of fuel under boost. Took the engine out 4 times before I figured it out. It would build enough fp at 12 PSI so I ran it there and it progressivly got worse. 10 PSI and then again at 8 PSI. I am still fighting the new stator.

Any way, it doesn't matter whose kit you have, whether its BD, or a twisted, you don't need to take squish out for 8 PSI. BTW, I saw a twisted kit, and they run pretty good. I know that BD has a different set up with the EBC such, but that intercooler that Shain has is pretty trick. I would recommend either.

All I know, is that I going to upgrade to a pro from the vintage M7. Please keep posting feedback on both kits so I can make a determination of what to go with. Again, I know of about 8 BD kits on Pros here in Idaho Falls, and they rip.

Last edited:
A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
BTW, I saw a twisted kit, and they run pretty good. I know that BD has a different set up with the EBC such, but that intercooler that Shain has is pretty trick. I would recommend either.
Again, I know of about 8 BD kits on Pros here in Idaho Falls, and they rip.

If you really know of 8 BD kits on Pros there in I.F. alone (not including the sleds owned by BD or anyone that trades with them) would you please ask them to get on here and post about their experience?? If you say you know 8 guys with BD turboed sleds and 8 for 8 they run spot on I think you ruin your credibility. Not because BD doesn't make good turbos, because I think they do, but because 8 for 8 turbos with a new kit, on a new sled, doesn't happen. Our group runs between 4 and 8 turbos on each given day and there is hardly any trip that 8 for 8 work spot on. And these are proven turbos on proven sleds.

Not knocking anyone here. Just trying to get solid, FIRST HAND, unbiased, feedback from the actual guys running BD pro kits. Guys who paid full price for their kits. Nothing traded, sponsored or comped. I have been doing my homework pretty extensively on these kits (and Shane's kit, which you endorsed) and would like to hear from more people who have BD kits. It should not be hard to find them. If you know of 8 there in I.F. there should be tons in several states by now.

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
my gizmo and bd turbo on hold

I have not installed my turbo or my gizmo yet.
The shop is backed up on installing gizmos and i need to install an adjustable actuator on my bd race gas turbo.
Turns out all boondoker kits will have to use race gas this year if you only have access to ethanol fuel.

You can run between 4 and 20 psi of boost with the adjustable actuator.
So when bd comes out with an intercooler you will be able to run more boost without det.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Just FYI for all the people that have asked me numbers. Yeserday I got in some deep snow and real long hard pulls. I had the DET light flash at me. This was with 3 .5 gallons of race(with our horrible Cali fuel) at 8.5lbs of boost. Unlike what someone on here(that rides REAL hard) would think, I did not stop and take some compression out of the head(because it just HAS to be done), I did not lower the boost and I did not add more race fuel. I added a little fuel to my psiL and added about 2-4 numbers to my pisH.....especially the mid number. Low and behold, I pulled the same hill again, and many others, and never saw the DET light come on. I guess you can run the stock head on this sled and make it work. Next time out I am going to try more boost and maybe more fuel and see what happens. Oh, and I talked to another person Thursday that just installed the BD kit on their Pro. 8lbs with 2 gallons of race and it ran perfect.......and that was a stock head.

MASI95

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
JACKSON MEADOWS
NOT FROM IF. FROM NORTHERN NEVADA/CALIFORNIA. DO MOST OF MY RIDING FROM 6000 TO 10,000. I DO NOT TRADE WITH BD OR PERSONALLY KNOW ANYONE AT BD. PAID FULL BOAT FOR MY TURBO, HECK I HAVE NEVER EVEN CALLED TO ASK BD A QUESTION. TURBO PURCHASED AND INSTALLED BY STRUTHERS. THE FIRST 50 OR SO MILES HAD A LOT OF DET ISSUES. CHALKED IT UP TO BAD GAS. NOW RUNNING 5G SUNOCO 110 AND THE REST SH***Y CA 91 OCTANE. NO MORE DET ISSUES. RUNNING 8 TO 9.5 LBS BOOST. OVER 300 MILES SINCE I PICKED IT UP AROUND THE 17TH OF DECEMBER. SLED FLAT OUT RIPS WITH NO REAL ISSUES. HAD A BELT CHANGE AT 300 MILES. DID NOTICE A SLIGHT BOG IN DEEP HEAVY SNOW THE OTHER DAY, BUT ONLY FOR A FEW MOMENTS. IT WOULD APPEAR AFTER STOPPING A SITTING FOR A FEW. AS SOON AS THE SLED WOULD COME UP OUT OF THE SNOW IT WOULD CLEAR ITSELF AND AWAY I WOULD GO. THIS "BOGGING"DID NOT HAPPEN CONSISTENTLY AND I COULD NOT INTENTIONALLY GET IT TO REPRODUCE ITSELF.

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
Just FYI for all the people that have asked me numbers. Yeserday I got in some deep snow and real long hard pulls. I had the DET light flash at me. This was with 3 .5 gallons of race(with our horrible Cali fuel) at 8.5lbs of boost. Unlike what someone on here(that rides REAL hard) would think, I did not stop and take some compression out of the head(because it just HAS to be done), I did not lower the boost and I did not add more race fuel. I added a little fuel to my psiL and added about 2-4 numbers to my pisH.....especially the mid number. Low and behold, I pulled the same hill again, and many others, and never saw the DET light come on. I guess you can run the stock head on this sled and make it work. Next time out I am going to try more boost and maybe more fuel and see what happens. Oh, and I talked to another person Thursday that just installed the BD kit on their Pro. 8lbs with 2 gallons of race and it ran perfect.......and that was a stock head.

Is this not supposed to be a pump gas kit? It sounds as though, if you were running pure 91 pump you would be having constant DET issues? If so...a little less compression may be the answer in order to run solely on 91 pump??

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Valid question.....but California has the crappy fuel. And to be honest, I am sure with good fuel you can run 6.5-7lbs on pump, but I dont want to run it that low and I dont mind mixing fuel. But again, you are right. For what it is worth in my Dragon last year I tried both a low compression head, and the stock head. The sled ran crappy on bottom with the low compression head. I ran 13lbs with 60% race fuel last year and the stock head. It never detonated or blew up or anythig like that. Granted that was a different motor. However, I like this set-up way more :) I am not saying it is perfect, but it gets better every ride.

R
Aug 30, 2008
If you really know of 8 BD kits on Pros there in I.F. alone (not including the sleds owned by BD or anyone that trades with them) would you please ask them to get on here and post about their experience?? If you say you know 8 guys with BD turboed sleds and 8 for 8 they run spot on I think you ruin your credibility. Not because BD doesn't make good turbos, because I think they do, but because 8 for 8 turbos with a new kit, on a new sled, doesn't happen. Our group runs between 4 and 8 turbos on each given day and there is hardly any trip that 8 for 8 work spot on. And these are proven turbos on proven sleds.

Not knocking anyone here. Just trying to get solid, FIRST HAND, unbiased, feedback from the actual guys running BD pro kits. Guys who paid full price for their kits. Nothing traded, sponsored or comped. I have been doing my homework pretty extensively on these kits (and Shane's kit, which you endorsed) and would like to hear from more people who have BD kits. It should not be hard to find them. If you know of 8 there in I.F. there should be tons in several states by now.

Just call our local Polaris dealers: Rexburg Motorsports and Action Motorsports...They can tell you who bought what. They are the ones that told me.

Trust me, I am not biased at all. I have seen many BD PG turbo's work on both polaris and AC. They have worked flawless. I haven't seen one that has not worked well. Every individual that has owned one absolutely love them.

And, the individuals that bought them, are not on SW. So if you would like to know more, call Action Motor Sports, or RMS. Another dealer that I know has sold quite a bit of these kits is Northstar Adventures in Preston. Some of my friends purchased their sled and BD kit there.

rubymountainrider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
springcreek nv
boondocker turbo on pro

i am one that bought from action motor sports and their is one other kit in elko we keep getting det lights on every once in awile running the numbers bondocker said to run with the race gas ratio.i now of one more sled in wyoming not running very well same problem was told we need to put 4 lb acurator spring in.and try that. sled runs pretty good tell you get det light on. never know when light is going to come on.doesnt matter if you run 7 or 9lbs same results.it doesnt matter if you run 2 gallons of race fuel or 5 gallons to tank same results. so i guess their not all running great out of idaho falls.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
i am one that bought from action motor sports and their is one other kit in elko we keep getting det lights on every once in awile running the numbers bondocker said to run with the race gas ratio.i now of one more sled in wyoming not running very well same problem was told we need to put 4 lb acurator spring in.and try that. sled runs pretty good tell you get det light on. never know when light is going to come on.doesnt matter if you run 7 or 9lbs same results.it doesnt matter if you run 2 gallons of race fuel or 5 gallons to tank same results. so i guess their not all running great out of idaho falls.
What about adjusting your fuel numbers? Are you running egts or AFR. What are they when you get det? You can get det due to too low of octane, or incorrect fuel mixture!

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
NOT FROM IF. FROM NORTHERN NEVADA/CALIFORNIA. DO MOST OF MY RIDING FROM 6000 TO 10,000. I DO NOT TRADE WITH BD OR PERSONALLY KNOW ANYONE AT BD. PAID FULL BOAT FOR MY TURBO, HECK I HAVE NEVER EVEN CALLED TO ASK BD A QUESTION. TURBO PURCHASED AND INSTALLED BY STRUTHERS. THE FIRST 50 OR SO MILES HAD A LOT OF DET ISSUES. CHALKED IT UP TO BAD GAS. NOW RUNNING 5G SUNOCO 110 AND THE REST SH***Y CA 91 OCTANE. NO MORE DET ISSUES. RUNNING 8 TO 9.5 LBS BOOST. OVER 300 MILES SINCE I PICKED IT UP AROUND THE 17TH OF DECEMBER. SLED FLAT OUT RIPS WITH NO REAL ISSUES. HAD A BELT CHANGE AT 300 MILES. DID NOTICE A SLIGHT BOG IN DEEP HEAVY SNOW THE OTHER DAY, BUT ONLY FOR A FEW MOMENTS. IT WOULD APPEAR AFTER STOPPING A SITTING FOR A FEW. AS SOON AS THE SLED WOULD COME UP OUT OF THE SNOW IT WOULD CLEAR ITSELF AND AWAY I WOULD GO. THIS "BOGGING"DID NOT HAPPEN CONSISTENTLY AND I COULD NOT INTENTIONALLY GET IT TO REPRODUCE ITSELF.

Thanks for your feedback. Its nice to hear that some of these are running well. I really need to get out on one that's dialed in. The Pro's are so much freaking fun, I'm sure a good running turbo makes it next to perfect!

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah

And thanks for your post. You never know how your going to get treated when you speak up on these forums but many of us appreciate the feedback.

Looks like there is starting to be a good mix of reports. Some of these appear to be running well and others not so great. Hopefully that means its just a matter of proper tuning and the correct actuator spring. Would love to hear back from you as your project unfolds.

I know people are getting the det sensor on these. Anyone having plugs come loose or any sign of detonation other than the det sensor??? I've heard a few theories about "harmonics" and "overly sensitive sensors. It sounds reasonable to me, just want to see if anyone is seeing any signs other than just the sensor???

Liv4turbo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 2, 2011
Milton-Freewater OR
My 2 c

PSI L 43 43 33
PSI H 45 45 48

At 6000 runs good you might need to throttle jockey a bit maybe add some on the PSI MH number and HH number. P.S 100%av gas:face-icon-small-hap P.S.S get the adjustable actuator

Last edited:
A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
PSI L 43 43 33
PSI H 45 45 48

At 6000 runs good you might need to throttle jockey a bit maybe add some on the PSI MH number and HH number. P.S 100%av gas:face-icon-small-hap P.S.S get the adjustable actuator

How much boost an what is your secondary/driven clutch set-up?

Premium Features