• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

340 vs. Phazer

Feb 9, 2008
SE WY
I have a 7 year old daughter & I am curious on the size, hp, weight differences between a 340 & a Phazer? Any helpful info is greatly appreciated.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I don't know the answer yet.
But I am planning on getting a used Phazer for my 8 year old daughter and 10 year old son.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I assume she is of average size for age 7. I would suggest the 340 for a couple of years. Weight difference won't be that great between the two, but the Phazer will have a lot more thrust than a kid probably needs for a while. Once she can handle the 340 in WOT situations, then the Phazer wouldn't spook her too bad.

My 7 yo daughter gets a little gun shy when the throttle is mashed and the sled bolts out from under her, so the 340 is as big as she needs for a while.

B

barefooter

Nov 27, 2007
Sherwood Park, AB
I had an old long track phazer that I used as a between sled for my daughter. I was worried about the jam - but I couldn't find a decnet 380 for her to take up to the mtns with me.

One trick I tried was putting some dense cell foam under the throttle (glued it in). She could only push it in so far no matter how hard she pushed, but I could get it wide open if I had to get it unstuck, etc.. As she was getting braver and handling the sled better, I changes the foam out to something more pliable. It wasn't until my daughter was 10 that I trusted her without it, cause those 485's are pretty peppy for a kid.

Nice think about the Phazers vs a 380 or 340 is getting the 136 skid stock. The downside is I could not find an electric start kit for it.

I just found and old 380 MXZ that I am going to mod for the 5 year old - 136" track, etc. That should make a great starter machine for him. Absolute best thing about it is the RER reverse. Don't realize how much you miss it until you don't have it anymore.

Last edited:

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
my son started on a 92 Phazer II LE (with a Aaen pipe )when he was 7 years old
I cut a small hose and slip it on the throttle cable at the carb rack and zip tied it on then no matter the carbs only open so far. he is 11 and rode it last year with-out the restrictor. I have a 121 viper track or a 136 x 1/2 track to install think I will wait till this summer for that mod

Premium Features